Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

trevormans

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 19 Nov 2018, 10:15

Once again we see what I think of as unsubstantiated soundbites. If they go unchallenged they soon become accepted as the truth. Goebbels knew that well enough.
Though people living here (East Europeans) have used "our benefit system" , they at the same time have largely paid taxes here, and a disproportionate number have contributed rather than taken out. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise?? The "talk" of Child benefit fraud is massively dwarfed by other frauds on the system by what you might call UK citizens. I would guess that the tax avoided by British non-doms would also dwarf such benefits.
With regard to increasing crime, are you able to make a clear reference to this or is it just your feeling?
And if you are saying we have put massive amounts of cash to support these poorer nations, this may be so, but we have had wonderful economic benefits from, inter alia, the increased trade and increased inward investment.
The "massive amounts" we each pay each year is some £130, close to £2.30 per week, around half a pint of beer a week. You would be lucky to get into a golf club for less than 5 times that amount. It is ridiculously good value.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 19 Nov 2018, 11:35

Having watched endless TV documentaries and “real life” dramas, such as one the other week where a Romanian girl was swept off the streets of London and forced into a life of servitude (prostitution) by a gang of Eastern European neerdowells. I am convinced that the influx from the former Yugoslav and Soviet states have increased our crime significantly. As I have said we have enough crooks here already but the increased volume has not helped.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 19 Nov 2018, 22:28

as in most things I may be wrong, but I had understood that most of the prostitution racket in London is run by the Albanian mafiosi. as such nothing directly to do with the EU. more down to the incompetence of Home Secretary May

most of the chaps in Rochdale Rotherham and other places , with their sordid abductions and such like did not derive from the EU, mostly UK citizens as I understand it. When we hear of so many children's homes which were the subject of much abuse we find they were mostly English perverts (cyril Smith amongst others)

it is always possible to point out an anecdote and extrapolate wrongly from that thereby presenting massive distortions. I prefer to see documented numbers rather than horror stories which fit your narrative. The Express and the Mail are masters at such distortions

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 19 Nov 2018, 23:32

To call the evil perverts from Rochdale and Rotherham UK citizens is stretching the term to include non human members of the UK

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 20 Nov 2018, 10:23

I do not argue with your last email , but my point is made with regard to albanians etc

White G

Post by White G » 23 Nov 2018, 18:27

Anyone want to have a go of the Tory Challenge?

https://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com/ ... sPqpz0&m=1

stuie

Post by stuie » 26 Nov 2018, 15:00

White G wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 18:27

and still better than Labour or Liberal Democrates

which is where the problem lies
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 26 Nov 2018, 15:20

stuie wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 15:00
White G wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 18:27

and still better than Labour or Liberal Democrates

which is where the problem lies
Well said Stuie

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 26 Nov 2018, 17:05

it's a sad state of affairs when the best that can be said about the government is that they are better than the Opposition. I would not disagree with it as I am no fan of Mr Corbyn, (and I see him as well meaning but utterly clueless as an Opposition leader) but I do not see that this Government has achieved much of note , and the Austerity policy (which was totally unnecessary) will cause our country, especially the least able to look after themselves , to reap a rotten harvest for many years to come. Furthermore, all this is irrespective of brexit which will compound the problem even more.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 26 Nov 2018, 17:20

The austerity was brought upon them by the debt inflicted on the nation by the spend-today-don't-care-how-to-pay-it-back policies of Blair and Brown, had the pleasure of seeing Kier Starmer on breakfast TV this morning, typical Labour politician laughing at the state his predecessors had left this government to sort out and suggesting that he would vote against the deal purely in the hope of bringing this government down. Sod the country, it's more important to stick two fingers to the Tories and let feckless people like Corbyn and MacDonald take control of a nation outside the EU with no deal.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 26 Nov 2018, 22:21

any serious student of economics will follow JM Keynes' view that you invest when in a recession, not impose cuts. "Long term economic plan" was just a load of round objects. it was never long term, it had no concept of economics, and there was no planning.
Anybody who refers to the the "deficit" as being caused by Labour's spendthrift policies rather than the worldwide banking crisis, has clearly swallowed too much of the bull coming from Osbornes mouth, who was following Goebbels line that if you say a big lie often enough then the people will swallow it
The reality is that Osborne doubled the "debt". there is no ambiguity about that

The further reality is that Labour will always tax and spend, Tories will always cut taxes (especially for the wealthy) and will cut services and infrastructure projects. As long as there is a regularish change of government, then each can seek to put right their opponent's "wrongs", and we are in mid term equilibrium.
So Blair's government invested heavily in schools and hospitals because the Tories had underfunded. Twas ever thus. It falls apart when one is in power for too long or is too extreme. The example of that is the damage caused in the north, in wales and in scotland, by blessed margaret's deindustrialisation policy which has effectively caused a schism between the south east and the rest.
Osborne was perhaps the most clueless chancellor since Lamont. He would however be trumped if MacDonald brought his policies into operation. Such policies might serve the micro- in the short term but would destroy the macro-economics

matt404

Post by matt404 » 27 Nov 2018, 11:00

trevormans wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 22:21
any serious student of economics will follow JM Keynes' view that you invest when in a recession, not impose cuts. "Long term economic plan" was just a load of round objects. it was never long term, it had no concept of economics, and there was no planning.
Anybody who refers to the the "deficit" as being caused by Labour's spendthrift policies rather than the worldwide banking crisis, has clearly swallowed too much of the bull coming from Osbornes mouth, who was following Goebbels line that if you say a big lie often enough then the people will swallow it
The reality is that Osborne doubled the "debt". there is no ambiguity about that

The further reality is that Labour will always tax and spend, Tories will always cut taxes (especially for the wealthy) and will cut services and infrastructure projects. As long as there is a regularish change of government, then each can seek to put right their opponent's "wrongs", and we are in mid term equilibrium.
So Blair's government invested heavily in schools and hospitals because the Tories had underfunded. Twas ever thus. It falls apart when one is in power for too long or is too extreme. The example of that is the damage caused in the north, in wales and in scotland, by blessed margaret's deindustrialisation policy which has effectively caused a schism between the south east and the rest.
Osborne was perhaps the most clueless chancellor since Lamont. He would however be trumped if MacDonald brought his policies into operation. Such policies might serve the micro- in the short term but would destroy the macro-economics
Nail on the head.
Christopher Kannnnnnuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 27 Nov 2018, 18:22

I just hope that Attenborough has got a programme for rehabilitating the Apes on Gibraltar when May hands it over to Spain.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 05 Dec 2018, 12:20

So today , will we find out which untruths/ deceptions/uncomfortable truths or indeed blatant lies that the government did not wish us to see in the Attorney General's advice to the Cabinet?

Or was Mr Cox fully straightforward?

It will be interesting to see what embarrassing facts Mr Cox did not say in his pathetic theatrics on Monday .

Mrs May has not only shown herself to be contemptuous of Parliament, but has a total disregard for and is fully contemptuous of the 63% of the electorate who did not vote for Brexit

That she has never sought to be inclusive has been utterly shameful

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 05 Dec 2018, 14:07

May is a Remainer at heart tasked with the job of carrying out the Brexit mandate. I think the Liberal Elite will have their wish in the end....we will stay in the EU.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l: