Preliminary Observations

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Preliminary Observations

Post by JohnC » 26 Aug 2018, 11:56

Five games in is way too soon to draw (m)any meaningful conclusions, but breaking a long-standing club record does call for a certain amount of analysis….

1. Success breeds confidence, and vice versa. Most of the new signings are stepping up a level, and none looks out of place, so players and fans are entitled to place some confidence in managerial talent-spotting and coaching.

2. We seem to be heading more goals than in previous seasons.

3. More front-foot, less passive/aggressive. Playing with an early lead obviously helps in dictating the nature of the game. In recent years, it has seemed that, too often, we were seeking to get to half-time on level terms, and then try to win the game in the second half. With Maddison and Grant starting, a main tactic seemed to be to try to win a free kick, and then do nothing of any consequence with the ensuing re-start.

4. The aggressive substitutions at The Valley said a lot about managerial intent.

5. Was Joe Ward not handled sensibly last season, or did he just need a period of adjustment? (His long throws are something of a bonus.)

6. I noticed in the game against Bristol Rovers that Dembele seemed to be seeking out, and winning, a surprising number of tackles. (Not something of which Maddison has ever been guilty.) It looks as if a double-figure goal tally is a realistic target for him this season. If he stays fit, he should help us to forget Edwards quite quickly.

7. Don’t get too attached to Cummings. Never mind the City Ground, the bright lights of Ibrox or the Sunshine on Leith will always trump the glamour of the Abax for him. (His penalty-taking seems very assured.)

8. Ivan Toney is not Omar Bogle.

9. Beware the Citizen’s Arrest. If I were an opposing manager, and if I weren’t squeamish about feeling presumably sweaty collars, I’d hand over Messrs Evans and Raynor to the nearest police constable on the grounds of Anti-social Behaviour.

10. Rush to Judgement. Some were left sweaty-palmed about the gulf in class apparently demonstrated in the recent 0-2 defeat to QPR, who followed it up with a 1-7 defeat and a plunge into the relegation zone. Don’t forget Mr. Westley’s Posh team matched then-EPL WBA for over three and a half hours in the FA Cup. Not everything means something.

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Re: Preliminary Observations

Post by poshnipper » 26 Aug 2018, 12:45

Wow I wouldn’t disagree with much of that.
I love The Proclaimers as well
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

OBM

Post by OBM » 26 Aug 2018, 13:37

I find the following worrying

1. A hefty 5 games in and no hat-tricks

2. No goals from the back four

3. Chapman yet to have a shot

4. Maddison has contributed nothing in the first half of any game

5. Numbers of Posh fans at away games dropped recently

I am i despair!

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 26 Aug 2018, 14:23

I believe the first few words "Five games in, is way too soon to draw (m)any meaningful conclusions" are the most relevant

We have had many false dawns in the past,

We have yet to play against what Saint Stevie calls a "big club" and no team to date has seriously put us under the cosh.

If we have substantial setbacks then it will be interesting to see how the players mindset is then

Lets get past the first 30 points and then get past Christmas

Paul Raynor still talks of waiting to see how the team "gels" which is totally appropriate , but those with much wiser heads (or who believe they have) see the idea of a team "gelling," is not relevant.

The mindset is all important, but we could not have a better start than 100% after five games, and being top goalscorers from so many angles is no bad thing

At the very least we are making good progress , and we now need to keep the momentum going

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 26 Aug 2018, 14:47

That's it trev, keep looking for negatives where there are none.

Like a few others on here who are notable by their silence, you're just desperate for the wheels to come off so he can say you knew all along. Great fan.

As a club we must have the highest percentage of negative lolfans in the country.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 26 Aug 2018, 15:26

Good stuff John.

Point 7 we can enjoy the season at least as he's on loan until then or if someone comes in for him can Forest sell him anyway?

ashman

Post by ashman » 26 Aug 2018, 16:47

Wycliffe wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 15:26
Good stuff John.

Point 7 we can enjoy the season at least as he's on loan until then or if someone comes in for him can Forest sell him anyway?
Very sensible, yet cautionary post John. It's a good point you make about Cummings Adi. The trouble is we are never privy to the terms of footballer's agreements. Is this a good or bad thing? Maybe somebody could ask Darragh about that.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

john316z

Post by john316z » 26 Aug 2018, 17:07

It would be interesting to see last season's comments after 4 games.... I bet there was far less caution then. But it was the legend on the pitch who proved to be another Meddles off it! Long way to go of course but perhaps keep the negativity for the pre-game sesh in Spoons

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 26 Aug 2018, 17:11

It's Cummings.

And DMac has been asked twice at least on Twitter about him. He won't give a straight answer. Again, pointless sweating it.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 26 Aug 2018, 17:22

Chompy wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 14:47
That's it trev, keep looking for negatives where there are none.

Like a few others on here who are notable by their silence, you're just desperate for the wheels to come off so he can say you knew all along. Great fan.

As a club we must have the highest percentage of negative lolfans in the country.
Absolutely on the contrary, there is no desperate wish for anything, I am emphatically not looking for posh to fail (or as you put it "for the wheels to come off")

I have said how pleased I am that posh are doing well. I am delighted with that.

I do not feel that I have said a single word against saint stevie's efforts this season.

I think, as shakespeare once nearly said, "methinks, the gentleman protests too much"

you should not necessarily judge people by your own standards

ashman

Post by ashman » 26 Aug 2018, 17:36

Chompy wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 17:11
It's Cummings.

And DMac has been asked twice at least on Twitter about him. He won't give a straight answer. Again, pointless sweating it.
Oh dear! Now edited.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 26 Aug 2018, 17:49

"Don't get too attached to Cummings"

I won't...Just like I didn't Marriott. Britt...Or another footballer for that matter.

Fact is....He wouldn't be here no more than a season whether he's on loan or permanent.