Players who have definitely JOINED

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

DaveLister
Second Technician

Re: Players who have definitely JOINED

Post by DaveLister » 15 May 2018, 21:55

Excellent distribution, says Evans. Only good news, for me we haven't had a goalkeeper with that since Tyler.

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 15 May 2018, 23:07

dunc wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:04
So our "cheque-book" manager has managed to splash out on the "Golden Gloves" winner of last year! I wonder how much money that has cost him?
Surprise surprise - nothing.
Well done Darragh and Steve Evans for the first in the transformation of the defense.
Yep he’s joined a club in the same league for no ages or signing on fee & is actually paying us to pay each week don’t you know.................

As usual though Evans makes it all about him with the following comments

“I made it clear to the board when I arrived that I didn’t want a loan goalkeeper” & apparantely we all needed to be told about him as we know nothing about League 2.

“He is a young man that needs an introduction to Posh supporters and he does need one because when you are in League One you are perhaps not paying much attention to the league below“

Such an arrogant man, why can’t he just say we’ve signed the best GK in League Two last season, that he’s very pleased to have got him and very much looks forward to working with him.

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 15 May 2018, 23:41

HantsPosh wrote:
15 May 2018, 23:07
dunc wrote:
So our "cheque-book" manager has managed to splash out on the "Golden Gloves" winner of last year! I wonder how much money that has cost him?
Well done Darragh and Steve Evans for the first in the transformation of the defense.
Yep he’s joined a club in the same league for no ages or signing on fee & is actually paying us to pay each week don’t you know.................

“I made it clear to the board when I arrived that I didn’t want a loan goalkeeper” & apparantely we all needed to be told about him as we know nothing about League 2.

“He is a young man that needs an introduction to Posh supporters and he does need one because when you are in League One you are perhaps not paying much attention to the league below“

Such an arrogant man, why can’t he just say we’ve signed the best GK in League Two last season, that he’s very pleased to have got him and very much looks forward to working with him.
Now let's see....who's arrogant, him or you?

oxhey

Post by oxhey » 16 May 2018, 03:37

Not a Posh supporter but I’m an ex scout who gets to watch over 120 games a season.

I watched Accrington three times this past season and it’s fair to that Chapman although a good keeper he certainly wasn’t the best in the division, so Evans is being delusional.

Both the Coventry keeper and the Luton keeper are better. This is also backed up by the Coventry keeper being named in the EFL team of the season while the Luton keeper was named in the PFA team of the season. Both these teams are voted for by the managers in the division and by the players themselves.

Chapman is improving as all goalkeepers do as they mature and Peterborough are getting him at a good time moving forward, but he is certainly not the best keeper that played in league 2 last season.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 16 May 2018, 04:51

HantsPosh wrote:
15 May 2018, 23:07
dunc wrote:

You don't half talk some crap HP.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 16 May 2018, 04:55

oxhey wrote:
16 May 2018, 03:37
Not a Posh supporter but I’m an ex scout who gets to watch over 120 games a season.

I watched Accrington three times this past season and it’s fair to that Chapman although a good keeper he certainly wasn’t the best in the division, so Evans is being delusional.

Both the Coventry keeper and the Luton keeper are better. This is also backed up by the Coventry keeper being named in the EFL team of the season while the Luton keeper was named in the PFA team of the season. Both these teams are voted for by the managers in the division and by the players themselves.

Chapman is improving as all goalkeepers do as they mature and Peterborough are getting him at a good time moving forward, but he is certainly not the best keeper that played in league 2 last season.
Not disagreeing with you ....but what do you expect Evans to say....

"We've signed the third best keeper in league two" or "There's better out there but he'll do" ?

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 16 May 2018, 08:04

oxhey wrote:

Thanks for that, I have heard the same, funnily enough from a Luton & Cov fan. :D
Let's face it the keeper from Luton would not come here and the Cov keeper will await their play off outcome, both would have cost shed loads too.

As you will know 27 is nothing for a keeper, he could quite easily have another 10 years in the game, let's hope a lot of that is with The POSH>

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 16 May 2018, 10:05

oxhey wrote:

Good to have a scout on here who knows L2.

If you were Evans and looking to bring in a dozen outfield players from L2 on a sensible budget, ie, not just going Eisa etc, who would you go for?

oxhey

Post by oxhey » 16 May 2018, 13:13

Chompy wrote:
16 May 2018, 10:05
oxhey wrote:

Good to have a scout on here who knows L2.

If you were Evans and looking to bring in a dozen outfield players from L2 on a sensible budget, ie, not just going Eisa etc, who would you go for?

I wouldn't say I'm a L2 expert, I watch many games from Championship down to Bostik league and occasionally even lower down the pyramid.

I haven't looked at clubs retain and release lists. I assume most of the players that could play in L1 and even the Championship are tied in to deals with some options in them.

Peterborough struck lucky with Marriott last season. 400K initially for a player that was third/fourth choice at Luton the season before and the Hatters top scorer of I think 14 goals the season before that. However the deal is not quite 400K as news around scouts and analyst is there is a 20-25% add on from future transfer. So prob fair to say the purchase of Marriott will be in the region of 1.3 million to 2 million.

Cheltenham want large money for Eisa, reported looking at around 1.2 million. Not the sort of club that deals with sell on's. They rather have money straight up so they can re-invest some and the owner take out some.

A good centre back that is under contract at Barnet, is young, but is strong, good with his feet and in the air and is young that will develop around better standard of players but is capable of playing in L1 now is Ricardo Almeida Santos. How much Barnet would take I haven't got a clue. Is he an Evans type of player, I'm not so sure, but he would certainly have been a Posh type player of the past where young players were developed and given opportunities and improved and sold on for good money.

I will look back over my notes from past two seasons and see what stands out. I get to see so many games, I often forget players are at which clubs etc, it's an age related issue :lol:

Steve Evans success in the past has always been with clubs that have spent big for the division they are in. Boston, Crawley and Rotherham all spent big with the former two now struggling financially. He failed badly at Leeds and at Mansfield he invested last season in about 16-20 players of L1 and low Championship standard but the best he could do there was get them in a playoff position before jumping ship to yourself's. This is not an Evans witch hunt, I've seen enough of him and his side kick to have me in stitches at times with their antics on the touch line, but it does get up the officials backs at times and I've seen on occasions officials give let's say dubious penalty's to the opponents because of some of his actions and how he treats officials and always on their back, but it has worked the other way with some officials that aren't so strong succumbing to his actions.

There are two players in non league that have caught my eye, one I believe is being monitored by a couple of championship clubs, a striker who can also play out wide, knows where the net is and wouldn't cost a huge amount, Reise Anderson of Dulwich Hamlet. He's more than capable of scoring 16+ goals in L1. The second player that has caught my eye is Tommy Wright, scored 13 goals for Sutton United this past season, It's not just his goalscoring ability, his link up play is good as well. He played for Salisbury the season before under dual-registration, scoring over 50 goals as they reached the Southern League play-offs. Again not an expensive purchase. These are the type of players Barry Fry would have took in a blink of an eye, but as I say, Evans like's the season veterans and those in their late 20's early 30's, the ready made player. His modus operandi is to purchase players from a division above, which cost's money especially when I see L1 as a piggy in the middle division. One that buys at lower end of market and brings on players or one that has to spend to purchase those that have played at a higher level. It's very hard trying to find the right balance of both experience and young potential.

I will be back as I said with some thoughts.

Sorry I can't be of more help at present. Enjoy the summer with all the rumours and let's see the eight weeks pass by quickly so the new season can start with hope and aspirations.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 May 2018, 13:47

oxhey wrote:
16 May 2018, 13:13

A good centre back that is under contract at Barnet, is young, but is strong, good with his feet and in the air and is young that will develop around better standard of players but is capable of playing in L1 now is Ricardo Almeida Santos. How much Barnet would take I haven't got a clue. Is he an Evans type of player, I'm not so sure, but he would certainly have been a Posh type player of the past where young players were developed and given opportunities and improved and sold on for good money.
Not wishing to throw urine on your parade but you may not be aware he was once with Posh and we sold him for a six figure sum, the majority of fans on this board and others (apart from me) didn't like him.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 16 May 2018, 14:02

Good stuff.

Hope the others are better than Santosh!

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 16 May 2018, 14:03

….your a Scout ?? :lol: :clap: :lol:
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 16 May 2018, 14:10

Rhys Bennett, Mansfield Centre Half signed at lunchtime for Posh.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Chompy

Rhys Bennett

Post by Chompy » 16 May 2018, 14:11

Signs on a free.

Chequebook manager so far shelled out £0 on two transfers.

6'3", experienced, good age at 26.

What are the Evans moaners making of it so far?

oxhey

Post by oxhey » 16 May 2018, 14:33

bristleposh wrote:
16 May 2018, 13:47
oxhey wrote:
16 May 2018, 13:13

Not wishing to throw urine on your parade but you may not be aware he was once with Posh and we sold him for a six figure sum, the majority of fans on this board and others (apart from me) didn't like him.
Yes I knew he had played for Peterborough and was sold in January 2017. But nothing wrong in going back to a club a second time.

I never saw Santos play at Peterborough or before in non league. But through years of scouting it’s hard asking a very young lad (aged 19) to play L1 when he hasn’t developed and filled his frame, especially one who is 6’6”.

But every supporter is right, they are the most clued up on what it takes to be a footballer and the progression from youth to senior, non league to full time pro. The body takes many months to adjust to the aches and pains, playing at a higher tempo.

He is now 4 years older than when he first joined Peterborough and I first saw him March last season and a further occasion that season. This past season he has strengthened up, filled his frame and isn’t knocked off the ball. IMO, he is one of the top 10 CB’s that played in L2 this past season and is a greatly improved player.

Unfortunately the Posh couldn’t hold on and wait and probably pitched him into the lions den earlier in his career than he was ready for. Every player develops at different rates and a softer approach playing in less competitive games for a season or two would have probably been more beneficial. As I said, over time he has improved and having seen how Peterborough defended corners and set pieces on the TV this past season his aerial ability and strength would have been an asset.

But football is all about opinions and I always respect those of others.