Summer business

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

john316z
Posts: 2004
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Summer business

Post by john316z » 15 Apr 2018, 23:46

Brianposh wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:29
john316z wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:17
ashman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:09

Good shout, but his wages wouldn't even compare to what Posh would be able to pay - and could you see Tomlin and Evans getting on? :roll:
Don't forget Boydy and Denis...
Dennis....................... :roll:
No surprise that you picked up on the spelling but not that Denis is deceased

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9094
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Summer business

Post by Brianposh » 16 Apr 2018, 07:13

A man that enjoyed the talent that Dennis had never dies in the minds of proper real fans. He is/was unique.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 15871
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Summer business

Post by DaveLister » 16 Apr 2018, 07:15

George Boyd won't return to Posh. He's got another year on his Wednesday contract and will be nearly 34 when it expires. I'll be surprised if he doesn't just have a year or two in league two before he retires.
Image

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26920
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Summer business

Post by bristleposh » 16 Apr 2018, 08:38

DaveLister wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 07:15
George Boyd won't return to Posh. He's got another year on his Wednesday contract and will be nearly 34 when it expires. I'll be surprised if he doesn't just have a year or two in league two before he retires.
so you think he could be back the season after next then :wink:
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5131
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Summer business

Post by Chompy » 16 Apr 2018, 09:07

DaveLister wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 07:15
George Boyd won't return to Posh. He's got another year on his Wednesday contract and will be nearly 34 when it expires. I'll be surprised if he doesn't just have a year or two in league two before he retires.
Another year's contract at Sheff Wed? Who knew!

He's the sort to go on playing as long as he can though. Would never have him down as a bench warmer, although he's been back in the team lately. Worth an ask for sure though.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16443
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Summer business

Post by ashman » 16 Apr 2018, 11:02

Wycliffe wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 20:38
ashman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:33
PoshCynic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:15
If the club has problems in getting rid of unwanted players in the close season, it will be largely due to the unnecessarily long contracts given when they first signed.

For that, the Chairman is largely to blame in my opinion.
It's a tricky one that. If we unearth a potentially new wonder kid, they would already be common knowledge to the rest of the footballing world anyway. The only way we have signed players like Gayle, Assombalonga, Boyd, Tomlin, CMS, Bennett etc. instead of them going to other clubs, is that we give them a longer than the normal contract, which is very tempting for a young player.
Unfortunately we don't always get it right and we have had to take a hit on a few potential 'bad uns.'
However, the club is, in many ways, a lot better off than many similar league clubs as we have been able to sell one or two on for huge profits almost every year after we have developed them.
For all those having a go at the chairman there are many more who would endorse his policies.
Mate ignore him.
Those opinions do not come from a POSH fan so are worthless.
I know that Adi but it is worth pointing out the truth about things so that real fans will begin to understand the situation a bit better!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 15871
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Summer business

Post by DaveLister » 16 Apr 2018, 13:54

Chompy wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 09:07
DaveLister wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 07:15
George Boyd won't return to Posh. He's got another year on his Wednesday contract and will be nearly 34 when it expires. I'll be surprised if he doesn't just have a year or two in league two before he retires.
Another year's contract at Sheff Wed? Who knew!

He's the sort to go on playing as long as he can though. Would never have him down as a bench warmer, although he's been back in the team lately. Worth an ask for sure though.
He's a natural athlete and has never really suffered with injuries. But signing players in their mid thirties looking for their last payday (George joined Wednesday because they offered him two years as opposed to the year on offer from Burnley) isn't our policy, despite his obvious quality. He'll have a year at somewhere like Oldham then he'll call it a day I reckon.
Image

john316z
Posts: 2004
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Summer business

Post by john316z » 16 Apr 2018, 14:18

ashman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:33
PoshCynic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:15
If the club has problems in getting rid of unwanted players in the close season, it will be largely due to the unnecessarily long contracts given when they first signed.

For that, the Chairman is largely to blame in my opinion.
It's a tricky one that. If we unearth a potentially new wonder kid, they would already be common knowledge to the rest of the footballing world anyway. The only way we have signed players like Gayle, Assombalonga, Boyd, Tomlin, CMS, Bennett etc. instead of them going to other clubs, is that we give them a longer than the normal contract, which is very tempting for a young player.
Unfortunately we don't always get it right and we have had to take a hit on a few potential 'bad uns.'
However, the club is, in many ways, a lot better off than many similar league clubs as we have been able to sell one or two on for huge profits almost every year after we have developed them.
For all those having a go at the chairman there are many more who would endorse his policies.
Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Probably most disagree with me. Cynic is a known disliker of Darragh. I'm no fan myself as his Twitter antics I just cringe all the time. He's bought some quality players and some real duds. All on long term deals. We'd be worse off without him and overall we do okay. Not that many duds on paper. Although it's hard to distinguish sometimes on the pitch :wink:

pleasureboy60
Posts: 186
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

Re: Summer business

Post by pleasureboy60 » 16 Apr 2018, 18:49

I cant wait for the close season when all the speculation of who goes and who comes in.
I think it is fairly obvious to most Posh fans after the last few disappointing seasons, that the type of player required to get you out of this league are not always the pretty on the eye individuals like we have in abundance at present.
I have a strong feeling that Evans will want to bring in experience, brawn and strength rather than the skill factor and im not sure that will go down well with our chairman.
Its going to be very interesting to see who gets the upper hand.
My money is on the Chairman, because he will not want to change the clubs policy on bringing in young, inexperienced players.
Will Evans agree with that principle, probably not!

superposh80
Posts: 5412
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Summer business

Post by superposh80 » 16 Apr 2018, 19:10

pleasureboy60 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 18:49
I cant wait for the close season when all the speculation of who goes and who comes in.
I think it is fairly obvious to most Posh fans after the last few disappointing seasons, that the type of player required to get you out of this league are not always the pretty on the eye individuals like we have in abundance at present.
I have a strong feeling that Evans will want to bring in experience, brawn and strength rather than the skill factor and im not sure that will go down well with our chairman.
Its going to be very interesting to see who gets the upper hand.
My money is on the Chairman, because he will not want to change the clubs policy on bringing in young, inexperienced players.
Will Evans agree with that principle, probably not!
the manager has already said...".i'll be bringing some steve evans type players in during the summer"...and i'm sure he will, as well as letting those he doesn't want leave.

they'll clash no doubt...and may agree to meet halfway on one or two.

at the end of the day though...it's got to be evans' squad.

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5131
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Summer business

Post by Chompy » 16 Apr 2018, 19:14

Guess that'll be how it works.

SE will draw up his list, DMac will draw up his poor-man's Matthew Benham list based on numbers, and they'll find common ground.

This will be a massive summer. I know that gets said every summer, but this one especially so. We need to reinvest the majority of the Marriott £££.

Wycliffe
Posts: 1239
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Summer business

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Apr 2018, 20:00

Chompy wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 19:14
Guess that'll be how it works.

SE will draw up his list, DMac will draw up his poor-man's Matthew Benham list based on numbers, and they'll find common ground.

This will be a massive summer. I know that gets said every summer, but this one especially so. We need to reinvest the majority of the Marriott £££.
This may actually not happen you know.
Some interested clubs may want to see if Jack carries on his amazing form for that second season as many players who hit the heights are unable to carry on a second campaign.
January may actually be a more likely time and goodness a lot of clubs pay way over the odds at that time of the season.
Not predicting this happening just worried if it did we'd be scuppered as FFP would be broken with major purchases.
Can't see any other player getting mega bucks.

Wycliffe
Posts: 1239
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Summer business

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Apr 2018, 20:04

pleasureboy60 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 18:49
I cant wait for the close season when all the speculation of who goes and who comes in.
I think it is fairly obvious to most Posh fans after the last few disappointing seasons, that the type of player required to get you out of this league are not always the pretty on the eye individuals like we have in abundance at present.
I have a strong feeling that Evans will want to bring in experience, brawn and strength rather than the skill factor and im not sure that will go down well with our chairman.
Its going to be very interesting to see who gets the upper hand.
My money is on the Chairman, because he will not want to change the clubs policy on bringing in young, inexperienced players.
Will Evans agree with that principle, probably not!
Your "strong feeling" is based on what exactly?
I ask in all seriousness because the only side I can remember playing against us is that Rotherham side that outplayed us at LR so much that they were given a round of applause at 90 minutes by an awful lot of those POSH present.
I look forward to you sharing your inside knowledge of all Mr Evans' sides over the years.

superposh80
Posts: 5412
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Summer business

Post by superposh80 » 16 Apr 2018, 20:36

Wycliffe wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 20:04
pleasureboy60 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 18:49
I cant wait for the close season when all the speculation of who goes and who comes in.
I think it is fairly obvious to most Posh fans after the last few disappointing seasons, that the type of player required to get you out of this league are not always the pretty on the eye individuals like we have in abundance at present.
I have a strong feeling that Evans will want to bring in experience, brawn and strength rather than the skill factor and im not sure that will go down well with our chairman.
Its going to be very interesting to see who gets the upper hand.
My money is on the Chairman, because he will not want to change the clubs policy on bringing in young, inexperienced players.
Will Evans agree with that principle, probably not!
Your "strong feeling" is based on what exactly?
I ask in all seriousness because the only side I can remember playing against us is that Rotherham side that outplayed us at LR so much that they were given a round of applause at 90 minutes by an awful lot of those POSH present.
A fact that seems to be forgotten by more than one poster on this forum.

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5131
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Summer business

Post by Chompy » 16 Apr 2018, 21:12

Always interested in your stuff Wycliffe but I'd be amazed if JM stays this summer. Fancy a side bet?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests