Grant McCann - Manager

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Grant McCann - Manager

Post by ashman » 26 Feb 2018, 16:14

DMac's Facebook comments about the sacking.

Darragh MacAnthony
1 hr ·
Goodbye to a club legend for now! Obviously the news has broken about Grant leaving the club as first team manager. I want to thank him for the last 3 plus years he has worked as first the assistant then the first team manager. In that time he has become a close friend of mine but also somebody I have tremendous respect and admiration for. Grant has worked tirelessly in the pursuit of turning us into promotion candidate’s, bringing through many of our under 18’s into the first team squad & turning players like Jack M and Marcus M into 2 of the best players outside of the premier league. Grant has a young family and to watch him with the tremendous support of his wife Kelly throw himself into this job 24/7 is a testament to the man himself.
To throw out statistics and reasons to justify my decision on making a change isn’t what I will do as this young manager and forever a club legend doesn’t deserve that as we say goodbye for now; but what I will say is that Grant is loyal, ambitious, positive minded, energetic, hard working and will make a fantastic manager for another football club and hopefully very soon. He came in, steadied the ship, made large changes and the 2 years he spent crafting/learning his trade at such a young age at our club will result in whoever gets him next; a very lucky football club.
Some have criticized me for going away whilst this change has happened which people are entitled to say so or take a dig at me. Bottom line is that I myself give my heart and soul and wallet for this football club and spent 30 days away from my wife and 3 young children in January ensuring we had a successful transfer window with a Holiday planned at this stage to make up for that time away in January. There was no way on earth would I be letting my wife down again because of the football club and this break will not get in the way of appointing a new manager for the club.
In life and in business the easy decisions are the lazy ones never made but the tough decisions are the ones that define us. I own all decisions I make & do them with the best intentions and for the right reasons. Time and History will judge me for them!

Grant, I am sorry to let you down, see you go and one last time…thank you.

Darragh
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

stuie

Post by stuie » 26 Feb 2018, 17:15

ashman wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:14

Darragh MacAnthony
1 hr ·
Goodbye to a club legend for now! Obviously the news has broken about Grant leaving the club as first team manager. I want to thank him for the last 3 plus years he has worked as first the assistant then the first team manager. In that time he has become a close friend of mine but also somebody I have tremendous respect and admiration for. Grant has worked tirelessly in the pursuit of turning us into promotion candidate’s, bringing through many of our under 18’s into the first team squad & turning players like Jack M and Marcus M into 2 of the best players outside of the premier league. Grant has a young family and to watch him with the tremendous support of his wife Kelly throw himself into this job 24/7 is a testament to the man himself.
To throw out statistics and reasons to justify my decision on making a change isn’t what I will do as this young manager and forever a club legend doesn’t deserve that as we say goodbye for now; but what I will say is that Grant is loyal, ambitious, positive minded, energetic, hard working and will make a fantastic manager for another football club and hopefully very soon. He came in, steadied the ship, made large changes and the 2 years he spent crafting/learning his trade at such a young age at our club will result in whoever gets him next; a very lucky football club.
Some have criticized me for going away whilst this change has happened which people are entitled to say so or take a dig at me. Bottom line is that I myself give my heart and soul and wallet for this football club and spent 30 days away from my wife and 3 young children in January ensuring we had a successful transfer window with a Holiday planned at this stage to make up for that time away in January. There was no way on earth would I be letting my wife down again because of the football club and this break will not get in the way of appointing a new manager for the club.
In life and in business the easy decisions are the lazy ones never made but the tough decisions are the ones that define us. I own all decisions I make & do them with the best intentions and for the right reasons. Time and History will judge me for them!

Darragh
thanks for the post DMAC, good post, thank you Ashman for putting it on here
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Narrowboat Dave

Post by Narrowboat Dave » 26 Feb 2018, 17:41

Hear, hear.

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 26 Feb 2018, 19:34

It obviously hurt and appears to be a ringing endorsement and one that hopefully GM can take with him to his next appointment wherever that happens to be

gazwilwah

Post by gazwilwah » 26 Feb 2018, 19:48

Sad day, in time Grant could've been a good manager, but we are no longer Posh at London road we are Darraghs ego at the ABAX.

White G

Post by White G » 26 Feb 2018, 19:55

gazwilwah wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 19:48
Sad day, in time Grant could've been a good manager, but we are no longer Posh at London road we are Darraghs ego at the ABAX.
I agree with your point on Darraghs ego.

White G

Post by White G » 26 Feb 2018, 19:58

Unambitious, cheapskate appointment that's proved to be yet another gaffe by Darragh. No disrespect to McCann who didn't do disastrously but it wasn't a step forward and was unlikely to be from day 1.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 26 Feb 2018, 21:15

ashman wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:14

Darragh MacAnthony
1 hr ·

Darragh
Sentimental bullshit that.

The january transfer window was the final straw....and he didn't want McCann blowing any more of his cash in the future.

Darragh now needs to learn from his mistakes....

No more rookie managers...or appointments from within.

Ffs employ an experienced manager and give him total control over team affairs and transfers.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 26 Feb 2018, 22:40

Has anyone said yet that if we don't give the job to Steve Evans then the world will stop spinning and we'll all fall off?

BanburyPosh

Post by BanburyPosh » 26 Feb 2018, 22:48

No Dave. But that's exactly how it's coming across.

:clap: :comeon: :clap:

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 26 Feb 2018, 23:00

It'll be a disaster if we don't appoint him BP. In years to come we'll erect a memorial to him in Glebe Rd, to recognise the dual failure of this season. While Mansfield reach the giddy heights of League Two mid table.

Ozzy

Post by Ozzy » 26 Feb 2018, 23:20

White G wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 19:58
Unambitious, cheapskate appointment that's proved to be yet another gaffe by Darragh. No disrespect to McCann who didn't do disastrously but it wasn't a step forward and was unlikely to be from day 1.

True story , Grant wasn’t nor is management material , and Darragh with all due respect should keep his nose out of the footballing side and stick to the business side .. need to rebuild , lacklustre performances from some mediocre players who probably pinch themselves everyday thinking how did I make it as a professional footballer ...

john316z

Post by john316z » 26 Feb 2018, 23:39

DaveLister wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 23:00
It'll be a disaster if we don't appoint him BP. In years to come we'll erect a memorial to him in Glebe Rd, to recognise the dual failure of this season. While Mansfield reach the giddy heights of League Two mid table.
I wish we were mid table in 5th :lol:

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 26 Feb 2018, 23:59

Yep...

This Evans character has been a disaster at Mansfield...

5th and 2 points off an automatic promotion spot just isn't good enough.

john316z

Post by john316z » 27 Feb 2018, 00:09

superposh80 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 23:59
Yep...

This Evans character has been a disaster at Mansfield...

5th and 2 points off an automatic promotion spot just isn't good enough.
5th is so this year's mid-table