tonyp

Grant McCann - Manager

Post by tonyp » 11 Dec 2017, 00:57

In another thread
tonyp wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 12:48
Ceenitall wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 12:24
'Even the starry eyed juvenile supporter would know Posh need a Manager'.
And who is going to find this Manager?
DMac has shown that he's not up to the job. And/or he is prepared to give McCann more time
Until someone comes up with a name who would be prepared to work for/with BF and DMac we might all have to hope McCann learns from his mistakes and performs better when he gets better players in his squad in January.

I do realise that this is an extremely difficult subject. And that some people on here are only able to moan and groan but not come up with sensible suggestions.
So, I don't expect many replies.
Ceenitall wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 13:24
And who is going to find this Manager?....

Though the fact remains it is not the supporter's problem. The owner states he wants success, is he sincere....does he mean it? If he does then he needs a manager, one who will not put up with his interference. (and that is where the problem lies)
As I thought no-one except Ceenitall replied.
As Ceenitall says it's not the supporter's problem - but it is the supporters who are constantly blaming McCann for our woes.
Ceenitall is right as to where the problem lies.

What are the odds that David Oldfield will get the job as a temporary thing and then permanent as things appear to improve?
Or bring back Fergie? If he would come back yet again.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Other than "Sack McCann".
Being happy never goes out of style

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Re: Grant McCann - Manager

Post by poshnipper » 11 Dec 2017, 07:59

As a "starry eyed juvenile supporter" with my blue tinted specs still firmly in place, I'd suggest they're your own opinions and not shared by all supporters.
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 11 Dec 2017, 08:09

poshnipper wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 07:59
As a "starry eyed juvenile supporter" with my blue tinted specs still firmly in place, I'd suggest they're your own opinions and not shared by all supporters.
Quite right nipper.
I'm still waiting to see what other supporters' opinions are.
All I've seen so far is "Sack him" or very similar. (Not from you admittedly)

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 11 Dec 2017, 10:51

The lack of replies tells its own story.

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 11 Dec 2017, 10:58

If DM keeps his words, the manager will be assessed at the turn of the year. Whatever happens, the supporters will have no other option than to get behind the manager.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 11 Dec 2017, 11:27

Ceenitall wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 10:58
If DM keeps his words, the manager will be assessed at the turn of the year. Whatever happens, the supporters will have no other option than to get behind the manager.
I agree with you Ceenitall.
DMac did say (or at least implied) that he wanted us in the top six by the end of the year. I think he also mentioned doing well in the cups.
I hope the supporters are like you and get behind the manager, whoever it is.

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 11 Dec 2017, 13:19

I think it's no bad thing that Posh like to give chances to rookie managers. It's either that or the mad managerial merry-go-round that other clubs go with and not very often with great success. Dmac clearly has more patience than most and if Grant stayed the course it wouldn't surprise or disappoint me. Apart from Shrewsbury the teams above Posh are very well supported and have tasted top flight football.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 11 Dec 2017, 13:33

when you get facile comments like

"DMac has shown that he's not up to the job"

I would ask which chairman in league football is actually "up to the job" in this respect?? please name ones who do naturally fit the paradigm

our chairman inherited a club which I believe was lower mid table fourth division (say 80th in the league??)

we are now upper mid table third division (say 50th?? in the league) . I would see that as definite progress. we have punched well above our long-standing weight

when I see people,clearly from the challenged end of the gene pool, making comments like he is "interested in making a quick buck" when all the evidence points in the opposite direction , then one can easily dismiss such negativity as being unworthy and barely worth a response.

but as negativity (and let it not be referred to as "realistic" ) continues to be so often all pervasive on this website it needs to be strangled at birth

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 11 Dec 2017, 13:52

trevormans wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 13:33
when you get facile comments like

"DMac has shown that he's not up to the job"

I would ask which chairman in league football is actually "up to the job" in this respect?? please name ones who do naturally fit the paradigm

our chairman inherited a club which I believe was lower mid table fourth division (say 80th in the league??)

we are now upper mid table third division (say 50th?? in the league) . I would see that as definite progress. we have punched well above our long-standing weight

when I see people,clearly from the challenged end of the gene pool, making comments like he is "interested in making a quick buck" when all the evidence points in the opposite direction , then one can easily dismiss such negativity as being unworthy and barely worth a response.

but as negativity (and let it not be referred to as "realistic" ) continues to be so often all pervasive on this website it needs to be strangled at birth
It is good to see another reply even though it doesn't address the subject of the manager.
When the question was posed -
'Even the starry eyed juvenile supporter would know Posh need a Manager'.
I replied
And who is going to find this Manager?
DMac has shown that he's not up to the job. And/or he is prepared to give McCann more time.
I mean DMac does not have a particularly good track record for picking managers. Or he will be proven to be right in this case by giving McCann more time.
Sorry if I didn't make it clearer.

Oh and I'm sure even you would be able to find some chairmen who have been up to the job in appointing managers.

stuie

Post by stuie » 11 Dec 2017, 14:00

The jury for me is out on whether Mcann goes are stays, to stay he will need to keep Posh in the top half, this is his biggest challenge
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 11 Dec 2017, 15:08

"Oh and I'm sure even you would be able to find some chairmen who have been up to the job in appointing managers."

i cannot think of any current chairman who has consistently appointed managers well . abramovic has had virtually unlimited money but only succeeded erratically he has had to kiss a lot of frogs before he found the prince . the same goes at man city. whoever appointed wenger struck lucky but I doubt he is still in post as chairman.

liverpool thirty years ago and more had good succession planning

who ever appointed sir alex (was it Edwards) at Manu took several years before he won anything of note

whoever appoints allardyce, hodgson or pulis tend to know that their team will escape relegation , but each time their next appointment has been less successful . maybe stoke have overachieved in the last fifteen years?

maybe Burtons chairman has a good track record??

so to say that ours is "not up to the job" when we have gone up some 30 places in the League under his tutelage ,should more accurately be said that he is perhaps a bit better than average???

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 11 Dec 2017, 15:20

tonyp, you're not in charge here, so maybe you could drop this new-found headmaster appraoch you've decided to adopt?

Re: anyone questioning the chairman, I don't get it at all. He's done nothing but good since he took over. End of. I disagree with his choice of managers but that's just opinion.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 11 Dec 2017, 15:22

Plenty of other chairman have proven they're 'up to the job'.

Matthew Benham and Tony Bloom for two. Both professional gamblers. Shows how shrewd pro punters are...

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 11 Dec 2017, 15:38

yes you are probably right with those two who have been broadly successful.

you obviously feel that there are plenty of other chairmen who have also performed well (I do not know of them)

it clearly helps if you are a billionaire

as ours, mr mcanthony is not a billionaire , my estimate of his being "a bit better than average" is probably about right

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 11 Dec 2017, 17:41

Darragh's made mistakes for sure...but his successes far outweigh his failures. We are very lucky to have him.

McCann is also lucky to have him...He's been made manager solely due to his success with the club as a player. He's survived whilst others have been dismissed...He's got it all to prove.