Brexit

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply

How long before we ask to join EU again?

Never
7
58%
Within two years
2
17%
Within 10 years
3
25%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19779
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Brexit

Post by tonyp » 22 Jun 2019, 21:37

Arguments for and against Britain’s membership of the European Union
https://www.theweek.co.uk/brexit-0
Last edited by tonyp on 23 Jun 2019, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19779
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Brexit

Post by tonyp » 22 Jun 2019, 21:44

And from debating europe
https://www.debatingeurope.eu/focus/arg ... Q6RwC2B2gQ

FOR Britain leaving the EU
1. TAKE BACK CONTROL
2. CASTING OFF THE SHACKLES
3. BORDER CONTROLS
4. THE MOTHER OF PARLIAMENTS

AGAINST Britain leaving the EU
1. THE LEAVE CAMPAIGN LIED ABOUT THE NHS
2. THE LEAVE CAMPAIGN LIED ABOUT THE DIFFICULTIES
3. THE LEAVE CAMPAIGN LIED ABOUT THE COST OF LEAVING
4. BETTER TOGETHER
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19779
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Brexit

Post by tonyp » 22 Jun 2019, 21:49

Brexit and Australia: The Way Forward
https://www.internationalaffairs.org.au ... y-forward/
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19779
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Brexit

Post by tonyp » 23 Jun 2019, 08:20

trevormans wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 08:09
what five things we will actually lose when we leave the eu
wait for trevormans to tell us the five things we will gain.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28687
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Brexit

Post by bristleposh » 23 Jun 2019, 10:33

trevormans wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 08:09
I understood that you would dismiss those and that you would not consider them properly

Which is why I have asked you to say what five things we will actually lose when we leave the eu

To my mind the fact that you are not capable of having a balanced view fully demonstrates that you have never fully understood the implications of leaving
Why would I worry what we'll lose, it's what we'll gain is the important issue
Freedom to negotiate our own deals
to take back our own fishing rights, and perhaps get our fishing industry back to something near respectable.
I'm too busy to go on at this time
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17884
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Brexit

Post by ashman » 23 Jun 2019, 13:15

bristleposh wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 10:33
trevormans wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 08:09
I understood that you would dismiss those and that you would not consider them properly

Which is why I have asked you to say what five things we will actually lose when we leave the eu

To my mind the fact that you are not capable of having a balanced view fully demonstrates that you have never fully understood the implications of leaving
Why would I worry what we'll lose, it's what we'll gain is the important issue
Freedom to negotiate our own deals
to take back our own fishing rights, and perhaps get our fishing industry back to something near respectable.
I'm too busy to go on at this time
... not so sure about how it will affect the NHS?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

trevormans
Posts: 557
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Brexit

Post by trevormans » 24 Jun 2019, 16:32

[/quote]
Why would I worry what we'll lose, it's what we'll gain is the important issue
Freedom to negotiate our own deals
to take back our own fishing rights, and perhaps get our fishing industry back to something near respectable.
I'm too busy to go on at this time
[/quote]

the reason why you ought to worry is that you ought to be in a position to weigh the economic benefits (£250 millions? per week week =£13billions per annum (spurious figures I know but ones you claim but do not substantiate) against the economic losses

if say, you gain £100 you may think you have done well, however if it costs you say £1000 to gain the 100 , then you have clearly made an economic loss of 900. but people who say "its what we'll gain is the important issue" are clearly fooling themselves as they will convince themselves that they have made an improvement

some people would call such delusionists ignorant. you have used the word thick in the past

I would not necessarily disagree with either word

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28687
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Brexit

Post by bristleposh » 24 Jun 2019, 18:18

Still can't get the quotes right, can you, however we pay £350m per annum to the EU, we get back roughly £100m in subsidies. Where are your figures coming from
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

trevormans
Posts: 557
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Brexit

Post by trevormans » 24 Jun 2019, 20:23

quotes are not my long suit

my figures are merely arithmetic examples to show what a nonsense your statement is, when you said "I do not worry what we'll lose its what we gain is important"

the point is you must always consider both sides of the equation . if you do not then you cannot have a balanced view, and you appear ignorant

if you find a pound coin but lose a fiver you have had a bad day . it is no good just saying whoopee I found a quid. it is the net balance which is important



the point is, this country will be far poorer caused by the loss of trade (and other benefits) then the "350 millions per week" (the actual is closer to 170) we send

there are no serious brexiteer estimates of the net effect, other than just woolly lets hope for the best. there are dozens of studies which show we will be far worse off. usually by a factor of about 7 or eight. theses studies are from reputable bodies, cbi, institute of government, institute of fiscal studies ., uk government etc

the brexit view is nothing but whistling in the dark

you may attempt to dismiss them all , but where is your numerical evidence to show that brexit is economically beneficial???

trevormans
Posts: 557
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Brexit

Post by trevormans » 14 Aug 2019, 15:47

is today the Tory party begins to fall apart?

The Great Liar is getting his retaliation in first by saying the EU will not compromise. Does it occur to him that his own red lines are a sign that he has made no compromise? Nor will he. But he will stomp and tell nanny to make it happen

Great Liar is taking back control by handing control to the utterly unelected Dominic Cummings who is dictating things with a rod of iron.




Meanwhile Corbyn dithers

A masterful mess

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 412
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Brexit

Post by Gaz_Miller » 14 Aug 2019, 16:17

I was at a party on Saturday & my friends daughter has started dating a Portuguese guy.

Got speaking to him & he said, without any prompting, that wherever he travels in Europe they are taking the p!ss out of us. Apparently there are many jokes doing the rounds too.

We've become a laughing stock on the back of a racist whim.
I have no internet friends

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28687
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Brexit

Post by bristleposh » 14 Aug 2019, 17:38

I'm looking after my daughter in laws dog at the moment, if we give her a bone she won't let it go. Go figure.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

trevormans
Posts: 557
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Brexit

Post by trevormans » 14 Aug 2019, 21:40

keep listening to the soundbites

there is nothing of substance that stands up to scrutiny

but 37% of the population has been led astray by it

and now they are trying to work out how to hide from parliament , because they have no proper arguments other than that they got 37% to swallow it once before by mendacity and soundbites

not dog with a bone, more like jumping to dog whistles

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28687
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Brexit

Post by bristleposh » 14 Aug 2019, 22:01

trevormans wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 21:40
keep listening to the soundbites

there is nothing of substance that stands up to scrutiny

but 37% of the population has been led astray by it

and now they are trying to work out how to hide from parliament , because they have no proper arguments other than that they got 37% to swallow it once before by mendacity and soundbites

not dog with a bone, more like jumping to dog whistles
I know you revel in telling us how stupid we are, but four or five closed threads support my opinion that a dog with a bone is where you are at, I’m stupid and happy in my stupidity.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

trevormans
Posts: 557
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Brexit

Post by trevormans » 20 Aug 2019, 12:47

The intransigent great liar is seeking to blame the EU for bring intransigent



Then when the truth about brexit is revealed
His boys say Yellowhammer government leaks are out of date but does not say what are the latest up to date figures

Why confuse people with the truth?


And he dares to talk of democracy!!!

Post Reply