Security

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Security

Post by tonyp » 16 Jun 2019, 02:37

For some time now I have been getting the message NOT SECURE when I log on to the official forum. http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/index.php
This is on safari and on google chrome.
Anybody else get that message?
I've just ignored it but today it said "you should not enter sensitive information because it could be stolen by attackers"
I never post passwords or credit cards on here.
I get the same message when I log on to http://www.espncricinfo.com
but not on https://londonroad.net/Forum/

Any IT experts out there?
Being happy never goes out of style

bristleposh

Re: Security

Post by bristleposh » 16 Jun 2019, 07:24

Not an expert, but I can read and definitely get the same message not secure.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 16 Jun 2019, 08:51

Thanks for replying Nick.
It would seem that everybody must get the same message.
It is worth reading the replies I received to the same question on the other board.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 16 Jun 2019, 09:00

I too have it appear every time I log in and have done since the new Format. I have checked with several 'switched on' tech boys and all they say is 'do not worry' about it. Cannot say I feel 100% comfortable with it though.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 16 Jun 2019, 09:19

Brianposh wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 09:00
I too have it appear every time I log in and have done since the new Format. I have checked with several 'switched on' tech boys and all they say is 'do not worry' about it. Cannot say I feel 100% comfortable with it though.
I feel the same.
Apparently attackers can discover your password which wouldn't be much use to them unless you use the same password for something more important (bank account for example).

ashman

Post by ashman » 16 Jun 2019, 10:00

Hadn't noticed this but it appears in the address line for me too. I'll pop down to the club on Monday and have a word with Chris Brewer who is the 'expert' on the forum. He may of course be on holiday but I will do my best to see what is going on. Thanks for bringing this to the board's attention.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 Jun 2019, 12:21

ashman wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 10:00
Hadn't noticed this but it appears in the address line for me too. I'll pop down to the club on Monday and have a word with Chris Brewer who is the 'expert' on the forum. He may of course be on holiday but I will do my best to see what is going on. Thanks for bringing this to the board's attention.
Good chap
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 16 Jun 2019, 13:11

ashman wrote:
You're welcome. I'm sure you'll get it fixed.

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Jun 2019, 15:51

tonyp wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 13:11
ashman wrote:
You're welcome. I'm sure you'll get it fixed.
Spoke to Chris. He will look into it but we may have to pay for a small upgrade. I've left it with him. He is one of the hardest working people in the club - he was in yesterday and says he is snowed under with projects!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 05 Aug 2019, 09:44

macreports
https://macreports.com/safari-says-not- ... s-it-mean/
Safari labels all unencrypted websites as “Not Secure” in the URL bar. These websites are served over Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP).

A website can either use the HTTP (insecure) or HTTPS (secure) connection. Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP. All HTTP sites will display a “Not Secure” image in the address bar when you browse the web using Safari. HTTPS-enabled sites will not show this message, instead they will display a lock image. HTTPS is a form of web encryption. When you load a web site over HTTPS, your connection to the site is encrypted meaning it is secure. HTTP, however, does not secure the connection between you and the websites you visit.
If you see the Not Secure message, that may mean that that particular website is not safe to visit because the site isn’t using a private connection:

HTTPS sites are more secure because they use a certificate to prove their identity to Safari. Furthermore, all major browsers, Safari, Chrome, Firefox warn users about insecure web pages.
This site is not secure.