Cricket World Cup

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Cricket World Cup

Post by tonyp » 29 May 2019, 21:59

First five games
Today (Thursday)
England v South Africa
England to win
Friday
Pakistan v West Indies
Pakistan to win
Saturday
New Zealand v Sri Lanka
New Zealand to win
Sunday
Australia v Afghanistan
Australia to win
Being happy never goes out of style

Wycliffe

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by Wycliffe » 30 May 2019, 08:24

Looking forward to listening to it on TMS. Better than paying for sky. Highlights on ch4 but not until 2300 :roll:

England's to lose but we could easily do it.

I reckon this'll be by far the highest scoring tournament ever, pitches have been made flat and ideal for batters, weather looking good overall and some small venues.

I reckon there'll be a few surprises, West Indies will do better than though with lots of runs, it's just their bowling that may not be strong enough. Pakistan the same. India the other way round. Aussies a pain as they can be rubbish for months then pull something out of the bag when required, hopefully not as having 2 cheats in their team too early will make them as unpopular as ever.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 30 May 2019, 09:42

Wycliffe wrote:
30 May 2019, 08:24
Aussies a pain as they can be rubbish for months then pull something out of the bag when required, hopefully not as having 2 cheats in their team too early will make them as unpopular as ever.
I promised myself I would not talk about the sandpaper affair. I shall not anymore.
But now I can say that I accept that the whinging poms* will always find something to complain about Australia.
I thought that the sandpaper affair was ridiculous. I believe that Smith was not in on it and that meant he was not a good enough captain. He should have known and should have stopped it.
Warner was an idiot. He has been punished and deserves to be left alone. Of course he won't be.
Everybody knows that cheating has been going on in cricket for years. Some get caught, many don't.
Let's forget it. May the best team win this World Cup.

* I have lived here for 53 years now. For the first 10 or 15 years I was a whinging Pom so I do know what I'm talking about.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 30 May 2019, 22:13

tonyp wrote:
29 May 2019, 21:59
First five games

Today (Thursday)
England v South Africa
England to win

Friday
Pakistan v West Indies
Pakistan to win
Saturday
New Zealand v Sri Lanka
New Zealand to win
Sunday
Australia v Afghanistan
Australia to win
Pretty good predicting so far. Pity only Wycliffe is the only other one interested.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 30 May 2019, 22:53

I wouldn't say I wasn't interested, I just have a lower feeling for Cricket than Rugby or Football, at least it's not Formula 1, not a sport at all. I rate Darts and Snooker as far more of a skilled sport than F1
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

ashman

Post by ashman » 31 May 2019, 05:42

bristleposh wrote:
30 May 2019, 22:53
I wouldn't say I wasn't interested, I just have a lower feeling for Cricket than Rugby or Football, at least it's not Formula 1, not a sport at all. I rate Darts and Snooker as far more of a skilled sport than F1
All a matter of opinion bristle. I too fully appreciate cricket, but not to he extent of football. Darts and snooker require only a steady hand, decent eyesight and steely concentration. F1 you need all the above plus an incredible level of fitness (witness the success that F1 stars had in the now defunct TV programme 'Superstars!') I could never see Jockey Wilson, Eric Bristow, Dennis Taylor or Bill Werbeniuk in an F1 car - most of them wouldn't even be able to get into the seat!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 31 May 2019, 07:18

ashman wrote:
31 May 2019, 05:42
bristleposh wrote:
All a matter of opinion bristle. I too fully appreciate cricket, but not to he extent of football. Darts and snooker require only a steady hand, decent eyesight and steely concentration. F1 you need all the above plus an incredible level of fitness (witness the success that F1 stars had in the now defunct TV programme 'Superstars!') I could never see Jockey Wilson, Eric Bristow, Dennis Taylor or Bill Werbeniuk in an F1 car - most of them wouldn't even be able to get into the seat!
All about opinions, yes, but if you look at the shape and size of the current crop of top darters, Michael Smith, Michael Van Gerwen, Rob Cross, Adrian Lewis and all the others were all built for comfort not for speed. It is a sport for all, not just the elite few who can afford it or have the backing of huge manufacturers. If you look at the qualifying competitions where hundreds of dart players compete any of whom can go through and win the competition, unlike F1 where only about twenty or so get the opportunity to go round and round in circles in a custom built car. Watching programmes like Top Gear show you that celebrities can race a souped up car around a circuit at break neck speed. They still don’t get the opportunity to do it in a F1 car. To do a nine dart finish in darts is a rare thing, 147 in snooker the same, but driving a vehicle fast can be done by any yobbo around the streets of Dogsthorpe and any other council estate in the country.

ashman

Post by ashman » 31 May 2019, 07:24

bristleposh wrote:
31 May 2019, 07:18
ashman wrote:
31 May 2019, 05:42
bristleposh wrote:
All about opinions, yes, but if you look at the shape and size of the current crop of top darters, Michael Smith, Michael Van Gerwen, Rob Cross, Adrian Lewis and all the others were all built for comfort not for speed. It is a sport for all, not just the elite few who can afford it or have the backing of huge manufacturers. If you look at the qualifying competitions where hundreds of dart players compete any of whom can go through and win the competition, unlike F1 where only about twenty or so get the opportunity to go round and round in circles in a custom built car. Watching programmes like Top Gear show you that celebrities can race a souped up car around a circuit at break neck speed. They still don’t get the opportunity to do it in a F1 car. To do a nine dart finish in darts is a rare thing, 147 in snooker the same, but driving a vehicle fast can be done by any yobbo around the streets of Dogsthorpe and any other council estate in the country.
I'd like to see you in an F1 car! :lol: I know you could step up to the oche as you have always been full of bull. As for sinking the pink or brown I hear you are a master! :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 31 May 2019, 08:08

tonyp wrote:
30 May 2019, 22:13
tonyp wrote:
29 May 2019, 21:59
First five games

Today (Thursday)
England v South Africa
England to win
Pretty good predicting so far. Pity only Wycliffe is the only other one interested.
England off to the worst possible start with Bairstow's first ball duck but then set a decent target. The difference between the two teams was England's brilliant fielding and their latest foreign import. Roy, Stokes Curran and Morgan were all born abroad. Both teams had Asian spinners as seems to be the trend .
Last edited by Poshay on 31 May 2019, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 31 May 2019, 09:06

Poshay wrote:
31 May 2019, 08:08
England off to the worst possible start with Bairstow's first ball duck but then set a decent target. The difference between the two teams was England's brilliant fielding and their latest foreign import. Both teams had Asian spinners as seems to be the trend .
Stokes catch was incredible.

I went to Trent Bridge for the recent series against Pakistan & I must admit it's the best English one day side I've seen.
I have no internet friends

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 31 May 2019, 09:21

Gaz_Miller wrote:
31 May 2019, 09:06
Stokes catch was incredible.
Bit of an understatement Gaz,
That catch could end up as the Catch of the series!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 31 May 2019, 12:53

Catch of the century

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 03 Jun 2019, 21:12

Pakistan 348/8

England 334/9 (50 ov, target 349)

Blimey! That's a surprise (to me, anyway)

After 6 games (teams that have won)
...............played points net run rate
West Indies 1.... 2.... 5.802
New Zealand 1.... 2.... 5.754
Australia .......1.... 2.... 1.86
England .......2.... 2.... 0.9
Bangladesh......1.... 2.... 0.42
Pakistan .......2.... 2.... -2.412

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 03 Jun 2019, 21:59

tonyp wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 21:12
Pakistan 348/8

England behind the asking rate from the start after a poor display of fielding in front of a hostile crowd. They must have thought the match was being played in Karachi. In their reply England relied too much on Jos Buttler to up the scoring rate. When he was out it was all over. The losing margin of 14 runs was flattering.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 04 Jun 2019, 06:07

I didn't see it.But Pakistan must have played really well considering they copped a hiding from the Windies the other day.
Sri Lanka should win tonight.
New Zealand should bring Bangladesh back to earth.
India should beat the out of form South Africans.
Thursday's Australia v Windies will be a close contest. Hopefully Australia will march on.
Poshay wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 21:59
tonyp wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 21:12
Pakistan 348/8

England behind the asking rate from the start after a poor display of fielding in front of a hostile crowd. They must have thought the match was being played in Karachi. In their reply England relied too much on Jos Buttler to up the scoring rate. When he was out it was all over. The losing margin of 14 runs was flattering.