Rant of the day

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28414
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Rant of the day

Post by bristleposh » 14 Dec 2018, 10:45

I'm just watching a programme on BBC1 called Defenders, they're on about knife crime. They were discussing the case of a young boy who was walking away from a fight in a pub, three assailants chased him down the street and stabbed him to death. The police caught the perpetrators who all received a life sentence. The dead boy was white and the three assailants were all black, but there was no mention of this being a racial attack, yet we would never have heard the end of it had it been the other way round, Stephen Lawrence for example.
Both are terrible but why is one a racial attack and yet the other is not.
Last edited by bristleposh on 14 Dec 2018, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9476
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Rant of the day

Post by Brianposh » 14 Dec 2018, 11:22

Because the people and the Country has totally lost "it's way". Can only see problems in the near future.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17705
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Rant of the day

Post by ashman » 14 Dec 2018, 11:32

Cheerful start to the day, eh Brian? Will we see you tomorrow?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9476
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Rant of the day

Post by Brianposh » 14 Dec 2018, 11:48

ashman wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 11:32
Cheerful start to the day, eh Brian? Will we see you tomorrow?
Yep, you will, but still a bit 'down' as we have a huge hole in our life, or so it feels at present. First away day since early October. :(
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

User avatar
Poshay
Posts: 6006
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 11:31
Location: PE10

Re: Rant of the day

Post by Poshay » 14 Dec 2018, 15:05

Surely you cannot expect me as the forum's resident homophobic racist to comment on this?????
Last edited by Poshay on 16 Dec 2018, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

trevormans
Posts: 503
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Rant of the day

Post by trevormans » 15 Dec 2018, 11:58

bristleposh wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 10:45
I'm just watching a programme on BBC1 called Defenders, they're on about knife crime. They were discussing the case of a young boy who was walking away from a fight in a pub, three assailants chased him down the street and stabbed him to death. The police caught the perpetrators who all received a life sentence. The dead boy was white and the three assailants were all black, but there was no mention of this being a racial attack, yet we would never have heard the end of it had it been the other way round, Stephen Lawrence for example.
Both are terrible but why is one a racial attack and yet the other is not.
I fully agree that both are terrible.

The good news is that the assailants were caught and punished.

Bad acts should always be punished

From what you have said there is no evidence that it was a racial attack. It was three young men doing bad things to a young man. It should be, and was punished but unless there was a racial motive motive established in court then we do not know that it was "racial" in motive. You may suspect it. My old schoolchum Richard Littlejohn would almost certainly imply (perhaps without clear evidence) so in his rantings in the Daily Mail. Perhaps the programme did refer to it as racist , perhaps you could enlighten us. If it were racist then it would be wrong to not state it as such

We should "never hear the end of " the Stephen Lawrence murder because that was unequivocally shown in court to be racist in motive. Racism is by definition stupid, because it is prejudging people before they are known to us. To form such opinions of people without knowledge is literally ignorant.

The Met Police were seen, and it was eventually accepted to be institutionally racist . They have sought to address this.

We, as white males, are not typically, on a daily basis, beset with racism. Most black people are. In a range of subtle , and often very explicit way. We have little understanding or indeed experience of the nature of this racism.

Raheem Sterling and John Barnes have this week emphasised the omnipresent nature of what black people experience perhaps on most days.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28414
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Rant of the day

Post by bristleposh » 16 Dec 2018, 11:44

Tken from today's Sunday Times, sums up things pretty well, certainly better than I could
Rod Liddle wrote:Why did the pervert cross the road? Because he was nailed to the chicken. Why did the feminist cross the road? Why the bloody hell shouldn’t she? Why did the jihadist cross the road? The force of the blast. Three jokes, none of them brilliant, but all funnier than the original about the poor chicken and its wish to reach the other side. I don’t think any of them would be allowed at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London — not even the original.

A couple of weeks ago the animal rights group Peta urged us to stop using axioms that contained cruelty towards animals, such as “more than one way to skin a cat”. (In point of fact, there is indeed, but it is still best to boil the cat first, then its fur sloughs off quite easily.)

In jokes, someone or something is victimised. And therefore there are people who want you to stop telling them, any of them. The marvellous thing is that this makes them all the funnier. The more contraband a joke, the more hilarious, in my experience.

The comedian Konstantin Kisin pulled out of a charity gig at the School of Oriental and African Studies because the organiser, Unicef on Campus, insisted he must not, at any point, say anything that was funny. They were quite clear about that. They gave him a “behavioural agreement form” listing the stuff he wasn’t allowed to make jokes about.

“By signing this contract, you are agreeing to our no-tolerance policy with regards to racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-atheism,” it said, as well as the puke-inducing encomium that this was all “to ensure an environment where joy, love and acceptance are reciprocated by all”.


These kids are in kindergarten, aren’t they? A whole generation of infantilised late teens, terrified of hearing something that might conflict with their precious and fatuous world views or — worse — make them smile. Bandaged in the self-righteousness and delusions of cultural Marxism and probably each able to quote from that old bore Herbert Marcuse that humour is the last refuge of the bourgeois.

Kisin’s principled stand drew him the support of fellow comedians such as John Cleese — although not Frankie Boyle, a leftie hypocrite who made a lucrative living from making jokes about disabled children but is now seemingly in favour of shutting up everyone else.


Kisin was also interviewed on BBC Radio 5 Live by a gormless presenter called Nihal Arthanayake, in debate with the staggeringly unfunny comedian Kate Smurthwaite, who only makes jokes about men and Tories, both of which are somehow OK to diss. Smurthwaite suggested Kisin was some kind of neo-Nazi simply for resisting the strictures imposed upon him and the presenter didn’t demur.

But Kisin told me the point wasn’t about comedians: “This isn’t about comedy at all. I’ve had messages from people who say: ‘I’m not allowed to say [anything] either! If I did, I’d be sacked.’ People are angry. It is about freedom of expression, freedom of speech.”

Indeed. Ban something from being the subject of a joke today and tomorrow it is banned as something we can talk about. Nor should we dismiss the issue simply because it is about the sensibilities of stupid adolescents, something on the fringes of the real world that should not worry us unduly.

The government, corporations and media are terrified of causing offence and will succumb to any complaint made by people with skin as thin as the surface tension of blood. This censoriousness infects society and shuts down debate, even though most people consider such fastidiousness both undemocratic and ludicrous. Why did the jihadist cross the road? To get away from the racist white British bigot. That’s really the only acceptable answer. Not funny, is it?
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

trevormans
Posts: 503
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Rant of the day

Post by trevormans » 16 Dec 2018, 16:50

freedom of speech should always be actively encouraged

unless of course it crosses the line of legality, and/or of what might be termed prejudiced hatred designed to ferment even more hatred

racism, misogyny and homophobia can surely not be encouraged in any sphere, as they are views which are determined without knowing the person or people involved

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17705
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Rant of the day

Post by ashman » 16 Dec 2018, 17:45

trevormans wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 16:50
freedom of speech should always be actively encouraged

unless of course it crosses the line of legality, and/or of what might be termed prejudiced hatred designed to ferment even more hatred

racism, misogyny and homophobia can surely not be encouraged in any sphere, as they are views which are determined without knowing the person or people involved
What's happened to your full stops, capital letters and general punctuation? You were doing it perfectly in your last post! It's not all important but it does make it more readable and people are far more likely to read and respond to your posts!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
Poshay
Posts: 6006
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 11:31
Location: PE10

Re: Rant of the day

Post by Poshay » 16 Dec 2018, 17:59

trevormans wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 11:58

Raheem Sterling and John Barnes have this week emphasised the omnipresent nature of what black people experience perhaps on most days.
These two Jamaicans will be laughing all the way to the bank. What sort of life would they have had if they had stayed in their native land with its drug and gun culture?
Rod Little also did an interesting piece in the Sports supplement criticising Sterling's attack on the media, citing his Kalashnikov tattoo and drugs habit as reasons for alienating the British public..
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28414
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Rant of the day

Post by bristleposh » 16 Dec 2018, 19:02

trevormans wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 16:50
freedom of speech should always be actively encouraged

unless of course it crosses the line of legality, and/or of what might be termed prejudiced hatred designed to ferment even more hatred

racism, misogyny and homophobia
can surely not be encouraged in any sphere, as they are views which are determined without knowing the person or people involved
racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-atheism

As the article mentioned all of the above I take it you are happy to have people taking the urine out of any of the others, as Bernard used to say it’s as funny as woodworm in a cripple’s crutch.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

trevormans
Posts: 503
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Rant of the day

Post by trevormans » 16 Dec 2018, 19:25

ashman wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 17:45
trevormans wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 16:50
freedom of speech should always be actively encouraged

unless of course it crosses the line of legality, and/or of what might be termed prejudiced hatred designed to ferment even more hatred

racism, misogyny and homophobia can surely not be encouraged in any sphere, as they are views which are determined without knowing the person or people involved
What's happened to your full stops, capital letters and general punctuation? You were doing it perfectly in your last post! It's not all important but it does make it more readable and people are far more likely to read and respond to your posts!
if you cannot understand what I have said then there is no point elaborating.

trevormans
Posts: 503
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Rant of the day

Post by trevormans » 16 Dec 2018, 19:42

Poshay wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 17:59
trevormans wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 11:58

Raheem Sterling and John Barnes have this week emphasised the omnipresent nature of what black people experience perhaps on most days.
These two Jamaicans will be laughing all the way to the bank. What sort of life would they have had if they had stayed in their native land with its drug and gun culture?
Rod Little also did an interesting piece in the Sports supplement criticising Sterling's attack on the media, citing his Kalashnikov tattoo and drugs habit as reasons for alienating the British public..
as they are both citizens of this country (and indeed even if they were merely residents) then I would say that they are fully entitled to expect to be treated with decency, irrespective of whether their bank balance is full of money.

What sort of life would Sir Philip Green and so many other tax exiles, non-doms etc , have had if they had stayed in their native land with is drug culture ?

rod little will select facts as he wishes to portray. he is highly selective in the ones he chooses not to mention. this is made clear if one reads the long article quoted above. to give the fuller picture would be to give a more balanced view and he is seeking not to be balanced.

if you are suggesting Sterling has an illegal drugs habit then it is surely for the authorities (either FA or police) to address. If the choose not to then that is a matter for the authorities.

if his tattoo upsets some of the british public (but certainly not me) then it is only because the press have done what they choose to do. This is specifically why Sterling has criticised (or in your words "attacked" )the media.

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16219
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Rant of the day

Post by DaveLister » 16 Dec 2018, 20:14

Poshay wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 17:59
trevormans wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 11:58

Raheem Sterling and John Barnes have this week emphasised the omnipresent nature of what black people experience perhaps on most days.
These two Jamaicans will be laughing all the way to the bank. What sort of life would they have had if they had stayed in their native land with its drug and gun culture?
Rod Little also did an interesting piece in the Sports supplement criticising Sterling's attack on the media, citing his Kalashnikov tattoo and drugs habit as reasons for alienating the British public..
Given that Sterling has no drugs habit I know of, I wouldn't be surprised if your post is moderated.
Image

User avatar
Poshay
Posts: 6006
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 11:31
Location: PE10

Re: Rant of the day

Post by Poshay » 16 Dec 2018, 22:33

DaveLister wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 20:14
Poshay wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 17:59
trevormans wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 11:58

Raheem Sterling and John Barnes have this week emphasised the omnipresent nature of what black people experience perhaps on most days.
These two Jamaicans will be laughing all the way to the bank. What sort of life would they have had if they had stayed in their native land with its drug and gun culture?
Rod Little also did an interesting piece in the Sports supplement criticising Sterling's attack on the media, citing his Kalashnikov tattoo and drugs habit as reasons for alienating the British public..
Given that Sterling has no drugs habit I know of, I wouldn't be surprised if your post is moderated.
Rod Liddle's article quoted ""inhaling hippy crack (nitrous oxide) and smoking a sisha pipe" which I, rightly or wrongly, interpreted as doing drugs but hardly casts him as a role model.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

Post Reply