The Nanny State

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

The Nanny State

Post by bristleposh » 24 Sep 2018, 08:49

trevormans wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 20:42
there might be a whole range of reasons why someone would use capitals. these might possibly include some of my keys sometimes stick, some people prefer capitals, a new poster might be unsure (as i often am ) about how to submit posts especially when responding and quoting, and there might well be other more personal reasons why you prefer capitals and/ or not to use the shift key

i am often criticised for not using upper case, and my response is generally that i am undercapitalised (a pretty thin joke i accept , but not if you knew my finances) ,

we should surely be encouraging people to post their views,and not belittling them for doing so and provided they get their message across, it is not worth our while challenging people's spelling or grammar. at some schools they don't learn you no good. i would of thought that that is more better, as some might say

btw i think "he3" means "he's" if you haven't yet being able to work it out

we may not have won easy ,but we won with a goal to spare, and we are still averaging well over 2 points a game, mr evan's may be doing something right,

floreat posh
The trouble today is you can't say anything to anyone without the wish to upset somebody. My views have often sparked storms about racism, sexism, and other isms I hadn't even realised existed. If someone could explain to me the process with which some things are acceptable and others not I would be eternally grateful.
There are lots of things in life than annoy me, most seem to stem from the nanny state insisting that everyone be treated as equal, I don't know if it happens elsewhere in the country, but certainly in Bristol, most supermarket car parks not only have disabled parking bays but now have ones for mothers and children. What's all that about, when we were young and had babies we had to walk to the nearest supermarket, which was north of a mile away. Using a trolley and parts of the pram and about six carrier bags we managed to cover the mile plus distance with the weeks shopping. Now elderly people without an actual disability have to park in narrower parking bays further from the shop entrance just so thes young mothers can get through the door with their hoard of brats, who in most cases are totally unruly. There should be times of the day when kids are allowed in supermarkets, preferably when they've just come out of school so that the traffic on the roads which has already been swollen by selfish parents who can't manage to walk to the schools to pick up their kith and kin.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Poshay

Re: The Nanny State

Post by Poshay » 24 Sep 2018, 20:59

Those of us who were brought up during WW2 find this present world totally alien. In our early years times were hard but said to be much easier than that which earlier generations experienced. There were shortages of everything, our fathers were away in the forces, and discipline in the home (from strict grandparents) and at school was harsh - the wooden side of the board rubber to the knuckles was a daily experience for me if I got spelling or arithmetic incorrect. There were few cars and we learnt to walk everywhere if there were wasn't an appropriate bus service. But we survived and learned to live useful lives with consideration for the wellbeing of others. The C of E played no small part in this code of morals. We rarely saw a non white face - the first I saw were GIs on leave and I was told not to point at them. Nowadays the complexion of the country has changed completely - it may be for the better but it still seems strange to me to wander through Peterborough on the way to matches from the street where my grandparents used to live in the 1890s and hardly meet an Anglo. A strange and alien world. Back to Bristle's point....I was in the GP surgery just this week and despite there being an area set aside for them in the waiting room fully kitted out with toys, children were running amok amongst the patients with their mothers doing little to make them behave.
Last edited by Poshay on 24 Sep 2018, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Sep 2018, 22:13

Poshay wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 20:59
Those of us who were brought up during WW2 find this present world totally alien. In our early years times were hard but said to be much easier than that which earlier generations experienced. There were shortages of everything, our fathers were away in the forces, and discipline in the home (from strict grandparents) and at school was harsh - the wooden side of the board rubber to the knuckles was a daily experience for me if I got spelling or arithmetic incorrect. There were few cars and we learnt to walk everywhere if there were wasn't an appropriate bus service. But we survived and learned to live useful lives with consideration for the wellbeing of others. The C of E played no small part in this code of morals. We rarely saw a non white face - the first I saw were GIs on leave and I was told not to point at them. Nowadays the complexion of the country has changed completely - it may be for the better but it still seems strange to me to wander through Peterborough on the way to matches from the street where my grandparents used to live in the 1890s and hardly meet an Anglo. A strange an alien world. Back to Bristle's point....I was in the GP surgery just this week and despite there being an area set aside for them in the waiting room fully kitted out with toys, children were running amok amongst the patients with there mothers doing little to make them behave.
Probably texting on their mobile phones, I may have mentioned this before but when I walk one of the dogs is a food bank, presumably for the hard done by in this day and age. It is strange how many turn up in cars, and not old bangers, and all seem to have smart phones and are seen openly scanning their phones whilst smoking their roll-ups.
I didn't have a car until my youngest child had left infants school, we didn't have a phone until the early 1990s, they have it so hard these days.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 25 Sep 2018, 12:55

Although we can all find things within the uk that we wish could be improved I will still and probably always will maintain that perhaps the best piece of luck many of us have been blessed with is to be born a citizen of the UK
That was the case under George vi and remains the case under our current queen

We have the weakest government in many decades but also the worst opposition

This too will pass

But it still remains the case that we should give people appropriate respect and to not seek to mock or belittle them especially when we know so little of their personal circumstance

Our country and our fan base should be a broad church which can accept a wide range of people and not seek to isolate people if they are less able to express themselves clearly

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 25 Sep 2018, 14:41

bristle said this above
"The trouble today is you can't say anything to anyone without the wish to upset somebody. My views have often sparked storms about racism, sexism, and other isms I hadn't even realised existed. If someone could explain to me the process with which some things are acceptable and others not I would be eternally grateful."

I am a master of saying the wrong things at times , but i do not see why anyone would judge someone without an understanding of their views,or of their actions, or without having met them, or understanding whatever difficulties they have had to overcome. i literally do not understand it. surely it is so much better to not prejudge people, without an understanding of their position. as my sister once said to my 11 year old nephew before he started at Jack Hunt ," never ever mock anyone for being what they are , if they are not able to change it", and that would apply to racial differences, intellectual differences, or physical differences, or perhaps a range of other things , and on his first day he stuck up against a mini-gang, for an asian lad who was being bullied, and i was proud of him for doing so.

my point about the Capital letters chap, was that people were mocking him, a new poster, who was seeking to put forward his views. why anybody would seek to belittle him, when maybe perhaps he had overcome a good deal of nervousness about posting , i cannot understand. surely it was worthy of giving him , a fellow posh supporter, like most of us, a little respect to encourage him to put forward his views. but no , the default position had to kick in and we had to pretend that we did not understand "he3" when it was perfectly clear. ha hahah
this is nothing to do with "nanny state ism" it is more about giving respect and encouragement, and not third form bullying. anybody who has been a teacher knows that the first response from the bully when he has been spotted by teacher is denial, (not me miss) and then the line "can't he take a joke? miss".
some can take a joke , (i personally, am more than open to that, but always provided they understand they will get it back from me in spades) but some are intimidated by it and then the bullying continues and life can become hell for them.

if you see mocking and belittling someone in his position as acceptable then we would never be able to agree, and you would not be "eternally grateful". often people do not understand that banter tips over into bullying. let the same people mock, bully and seek to belittle me, and those people might soon prefer it if they hadn't done so in the first place as I feel as though i would be able to answer well enough for myself. there would be no "FFS" no "LOL" but the mockers would know they had received back more than they had given. if i am the only person in a group of 20 to take that position then I would see that as fair odds, because i would not be in the wrong

i do actually admire you in that you seek to stick to your position, whether it be on maddison, political correctness, the twaddle some posters write, or even the tory party, but it can never be right to seek to humiliate someone who may be less able than you to respond in kind

here endeth my rant

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Sep 2018, 15:47

trevormans wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 14:41
bristle said this above
"The trouble today is you can't say anything to anyone without the wish to upset somebody. My views have often sparked storms about racism, sexism, and other isms I hadn't even realised existed. If someone could explain to me the process with which some things are acceptable and others not I would be eternally grateful."

I am a master of saying the wrong things at times , but i do not see why anyone would judge someone without an understanding of their views,or of their actions, or without having met them, or understanding whatever difficulties they have had to overcome. i literally do not understand it. surely it is so much better to not prejudge people, without an understanding of their position. as my sister once said to my 11 year old nephew before he started at Jack Hunt ," never ever mock anyone for being what they are , if they are not able to change it", and that would apply to racial differences, intellectual differences, or physical differences, or perhaps a range of other things , and on his first day he stuck up against a mini-gang, for an asian lad who was being bullied, and i was proud of him for doing so.

my point about the Capital letters chap, was that people were mocking him, a new poster, who was seeking to put forward his views. why anybody would seek to belittle him, when maybe perhaps he had overcome a good deal of nervousness about posting , i cannot understand. surely it was worthy of giving him , a fellow posh supporter, like most of us, a little respect to encourage him to put forward his views. but no , the default position had to kick in and we had to pretend that we did not understand "he3" when it was perfectly clear. ha hahah
this is nothing to do with "nanny state ism" it is more about giving respect and encouragement, and not third form bullying. anybody who has been a teacher knows that the first response from the bully when he has been spotted by teacher is denial, (not me miss) and then the line "can't he take a joke? miss".
some can take a joke , (i personally, am more than open to that, but always provided they understand they will get it back from me in spades) but some are intimidated by it and then the bullying continues and life can become hell for them.

if you see mocking and belittling someone in his position as acceptable then we would never be able to agree, and you would not be "eternally grateful". often people do not understand that banter tips over into bullying. let the same people mock, bully and seek to belittle me, and those people might soon prefer it if they hadn't done so in the first place as I feel as though i would be able to answer well enough for myself. there would be no "FFS" no "LOL" but the mockers would know they had received back more than they had given. if i am the only person in a group of 20 to take that position then I would see that as fair odds, because i would not be in the wrong

i do actually admire you in that you seek to stick to your position, whether it be on maddison, political correctness, the twaddle some posters write, or even the tory party, but it can never be right to seek to humiliate someone who may be less able than you to respond in kind

here endeth my rant
I hasten to add it was not me mocking the newbie, I was just explaining Adie's response. I never criticise anyone in fact I have one of those anti bullying wrist bands, I didn't actually buy it though I nicked it off a fat ginger kid.

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Sep 2018, 16:42

bristleposh wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 15:47
I hasten to add it was not me mocking the newbie, I was just explaining Adie's response. I never criticise anyone in fact I have one of those anti bullying wrist bands, I didn't actually buy it though I nicked it off a fat ginger kid.
:lol: :lol:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 25 Sep 2018, 20:16

ashman wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 16:42
bristleposh wrote:
I hope that referred to his hair colour or you are for it. :)

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 03 Oct 2018, 12:29

The Nanny State...what next but insisting on "Jazz Hands" instead of cheering, clapping and chanting at London Road???

dunc

Post by dunc » 03 Oct 2018, 13:51

You are allowed to put your thumb up if you are pleased with what you saw.
But its thumbs down to anything you disapprove of!

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 03 Oct 2018, 18:39

Poshay wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 20:16
ashman wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 16:42
bristleposh wrote:
I hope that referred to his hair colour or you are for it. :)
i think that it was a reference to his favourite biscuits

gazwilwah

Post by gazwilwah » 03 Oct 2018, 18:55

Yeah I just say the governments trying to kill us and everyone gets angry with me, can't understand them.

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Post by poshnipper » 03 Oct 2018, 22:22

To be fair, I think it was intended for student debates and the like, rather than football matches and music concerts.
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

matt404

Post by matt404 » 09 Oct 2018, 12:29

bristleposh wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 08:49
The trouble today is you can't say anything to anyone without the wish to upset somebody. My views have often sparked storms about racism, sexism, and other isms I hadn't even realised existed. If someone could explain to me the process with which some things are acceptable and others not I would be eternally grateful.
There are lots of things in life than annoy me, most seem to stem from the nanny state insisting that everyone be treated as equal,
Not sure if you're being serious but...

[sarcasm]Bloody nanny state, wanting each and every person to be treated equally... fairly even! Never heard anything so ridiculous. If I want to look down on people because of their race, religion, age, social standing, disability, gender or political affiliation or in fact, anything that I haven't yet mention, due to my own prejudices then I should bloody well be able to.[/sarcasm]
Christopher Kannnnnnuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!