brexit

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stuie

Re: brexit

Post by stuie » 14 Dec 2017, 16:04

trevormans wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 15:49
the tory press today, particularly the daily mail ( interestingly the chief apologist for appeasement in the 30's and owned today by a billionaire not paying UK taxes) should be ashamed of themselves.
They have put forward. over the past two years , the view that brexit will (inter alia) restore democracy to our parliament.

However when the mother of parliaments seeks to demonstrate democracy as it did so successfully yesterday, then the daily mail seeks to vilify Right Honourable Members (Right and Honourable,) who have voted democratically , as being "traitors", just as they described the judges as "enemies of the people".

This is utterly disgraceful, and is closely akin to the Stalinist propaganda of the 1930s

I am confident that these words "traitors, enemies of the people etc " will be quoted, dog whistle style, by many of the less gifted, the more easily led of our populace as if it were a truth, just as the £350 million for the NHS was quoted and believed by the lemmings., and they voted for "strong and stable" because the mail told them to.

The government is frightened to let it be known what their estimate of the financial impact will be because it is so dire.

If anybody can tell me that this is the Brexit they thought they were voting for (£40 billions downpayment as a starter, collapsing pound , poor trade deals with EU and not much on the horizon with WTO, falling GDP, an under staffed NHS, nobody to pick the spuds, reduced food standards,and immigration still double the promised "less than 100k") then I will be fascinated to hear it.
I e - mailed my Mp who is one of the 11, to give her support, and also had an e-mail conversation with her last night, again supporting her stance Antonette Sandbach

I still think brexit is right, however I am not looking for a hard brexit

it is simple to me, I do not want to be part of the Euro, or an ever merging federal europe

so I see this as a fork in the path, in the future we have tha ability to diverge, converge, or run in parallel

I realised that we were in for 5 years of turmoil but believe in the long run this is the best way forward

I voted for sovereignty, so why would I not want parliment to decide, most of the dog whistles you make, would still be there brexit or no brexit

I agree many of the people who voted in the referendem for brexit, went in with there eyes shut, not me
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 14 Dec 2017, 16:06

I have no doubt they will, just out of interest did you see last nights TV offering about the Channel, I was surprised that our fishermen are limited to so little of the fish just off our coast, whilst the French can rape it for all they can. It's alright being against brexit but it is so easy to understand why so many especially the fishing fleet would be for it in the hope they can get their living back, sorry if that sounds like a dog whistle.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

stuie

Post by stuie » 14 Dec 2017, 16:22

last nights vote was about process, it will not stop Brexit, but will stop a stupid a no deal brexit

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 14 Dec 2017, 20:34

" I do not want to be part of the Euro, or an ever merging federal europe

I realised that we were in for 5 years of turmoil but believe in the long run this is the best way forward"

HOWEVER
we are not, and never would be "part of the Euro". (optouts secured by G Brown) We had already secured our position away from "an an ever merging federal europe" .(optouts secured by J Major and D Cameron?)
I still ask people to say when they have once been so inconvenienced by the loss of sovereignty, or the fact that ECJ takes precedence over our supreme court, or which laws imposed by the "faceless bureaucrats of Brussels" have caused any of us substantial inconvenience

It has been up to us to ensure we get our share of the benefits , and too often we have not staked our claims with sufficient persuasion

If 5 years of turmoil were our only price then we would have got off ridiculously lightly. I believe it will take us not less than 25 years (my guess against your guess ) to recover our position to where we would have been in terms of prosperity. The £45billions that we are shelling out would not even equate to the net payments we would have been making each year for the next five years. We are already into the foothills of the problem with the devaluation of the pound
Plus we will have the loss of all the economic benefits , the inflationary cost of the devalued pound, the terrible loss of all the other non monetary benefits relating to so many things but including ecological,financial services, security,academic,working conditions, legal,food safety, (straight bananas was twerp johnsons invention) regional development, cultural and so many more.
Plus we will have to pay for access to so much of the benefits of the EU (a la Norway)

It is no wonder that the government are frightened to do a serious impact analysis. They are frightened by what they know already. Whistling in the dark is not the answer. Calling people traitors and unpatriotic is pathetic

We will reap a whirlwind , but it will be over several years and people will have forgotten the benefits

stuie

Post by stuie » 15 Dec 2017, 00:45

trevormans wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 20:34
" I do not want to be part of the Euro, or an ever merging federal europe

I realised that we were in for 5 years of turmoil but believe in the long run this is the best way forward"

HOWEVER
we are not, and never would be "part of the Euro". (optouts secured by G Brown) We had already secured our position away from "an an ever merging federal europe" .(optouts secured by J Major and D Cameron?)
agreed, however my stance is, this means we are not at the top table, and our influence is weakened, if we are not at the top table, it is best for us to leave the table and be a mid Atlantic country.

plus for those pro a federal Europe, it means the UK will not be dragging them down, it is win win, however unfortunately it will be a roller coaster ride, lets hope the carriages do not come off

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 20 Dec 2017, 22:58

mrs may loses another one

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 20 Dec 2017, 23:05

trevormans wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 22:58
I assum you are referring to Greene, he has been a dead man walking for sometime.

stuie

Post by stuie » 20 Dec 2017, 23:05

bristleposh wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 23:05
trevormans wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 22:58
I assum you are referring to Greene, he has been a dead man walking for sometime.
:stupid:

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 21 Dec 2017, 00:21

strong and stable

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Dec 2017, 00:22

trevormans wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 00:21
strong and stable
you are still horsing around

john316z

Post by john316z » 21 Dec 2017, 09:50

The reality, at least for now, is that we will stop have laws driven by Europe to laws driven by the DUP... :clap: I'm happy to be have been a remainer, now a remoaner, and yet to be convinced that this is anything other than bad for this country. That said the carnage is going to happen. It's a bit like watching Posh - you know that at some point in the game there is going to be complete carnage in the heart of our defence but we can do bugger all about it

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 21 Dec 2017, 16:29

Everything this government does is to protect the Tory party
Nothing is done for the good of the country

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Dec 2017, 17:04

trevormans wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 16:29
Sorry but that is for the good of the country otherwise we'd have Labour and the magic money tree.

john316z

Post by john316z » 21 Dec 2017, 18:01

bristleposh wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 17:04
trevormans wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 16:29
Sorry but that is for the good of the country otherwise we'd have Labour and the magic money tree.
Have you been reading the Mail, the Sun or both??? Sadly voting these days is a bit like being told you have to support the Wobblers or Scumbridge....

Sadly Corbyn seems to be a decent chap, with mostly decent policies but is let down by the awful bunch around him, which puts me off. As to the magic money tree. That will be gone soon and rooted firmly in Northern Ireland to pay for all of the DUP concessions

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Dec 2017, 19:11

john316z wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 18:01

Have you been reading the Mail, the Sun or both???
neither although sadly I see the front page of both when I pick up my copy of The Times. Agreed Corbyn does seem like a nice bloke but then again so did Fred West