brexit

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

White G

Re: brexit

Post by White G » 11 Dec 2017, 23:04

stuie wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 21:35
Please tell me, and help me out, which of Corbyns policies are affordable
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/7 ... r-10401191

This in simple terms explains it. There's no argument really, other wealthy countries successfully operate in ways which Corbyn suggests. I can't think of one reason why this is impossible here, it might take a while but it is possible.

White G

Post by White G » 11 Dec 2017, 23:06

bristleposh wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 21:41
The positive about the Tories is simple, while they're in charge we don't have a Labour led shambles. Is that clear enough Mr White.
That's not positive Bristle. The Tories have created far more debt than Blair & Brown, and that's without a global financial crisis.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Dec 2017, 23:10

White G wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 23:04
stuie wrote:

This in simple terms explains it. There's no argument really, other wealthy countries successfully operate in ways which Corbyn suggests. I can't think of one reason why this is impossible here, it might take a while but it is possible.
It's in The Mirror it must be true
White G wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 23:06
bristleposh wrote:
The positive about the Tories is simple, while they're in charge we don't have a Labour led shambles. Is that clear enough Mr White.
That's not positive Bristle. The Tories have created far more debt than Blair & Brown, and that's without a global financial crisis.
& you have proof of this or are you just quoting verbatim an article from The Daily Labour sorry I meant Mirror.

We can all make statements and claim them as facts.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 11 Dec 2017, 23:13

White G wrote:

What a load of codswallop. I cannot believe you honestly think that.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Dec 2017, 23:24

...and the money to pay for those seven policies is going to come from where exactly, the magic money tree
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

stuie

Post by stuie » 12 Dec 2017, 18:01

NATIONIALISATION OF RAILWAYS

In principle I do not disagree with this, a one company a cohesion between operators and rail track makes a lot of sense, and a simplification of ticketing across all trains would be useful. so to achieve this we would have to leave the EU, and I agree, where does the money come from.
my own personal experience of UK railways in the last 12 months is good, and my experience of French railways, is not as good as UK but also OK

UNIVERSITY FEES

again in principle agree, but can we really afford it when 50% of the population goes to University, as opposed to 5% in my day. tOO many graduates then end up in non graduate jobs. the investment should be in skill that the next generation need

CORPORATION TAX

Some movement upward would be ok, as some movement in higher tax would be ok, however need to keep it at a level that keeps corporations here, and not go to that great EU country Ireland

RENT CAP

IMO the only way to cap rent is to have an increase in social housing, and this needs to be owned by the state, perhaps some government intervention into the renting housing marked would be acceptable

FREE CHILDCARE

In principle yes, has this been costed

have not the Tories already set this ball rolling, with 30 hours free childcare for over 3s
A better policy would be for all to have a living wage, with good maternity paternity benefits, thus giving them the option to look after there children. I can see a need for 15 hours a week for 2 to 3 years old, and the 30 hours for over 3s

NUCLEAR WEAPONS

the should always be caution on nuclear weapons

FRACKING

lets not bite our nose off to spite our face, lets have a limited trial and see how it goes

non of the above policies would be radical, as per the headline, however the cost could well be, however outside the EU and trading with the world, we could move closer to all without blowing the bank
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

White G

Post by White G » 12 Dec 2017, 18:16

bristleposh wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 23:10
White G wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 23:04
stuie wrote:

It's in The Mirror it must be true
White G wrote:
bristleposh wrote:
& you have proof of this or are you just quoting verbatim an article from The Daily Labour sorry I meant Mirror.

We can all make statements and claim them as facts.
I don't have time to do individual research but it's a stonewall fact that these policies are carried out successfully in various developed countries, why can't at least some be done here? OK, we'll stick with a party who are causing misery & poverty while stripping our public assets to share amongst themselves. Silly me!

stuie

Post by stuie » 12 Dec 2017, 18:29

I think the rich are too rich, and to some extent wealth needs redistributing, so yes why don't we try moving towards some of these

it's the direction of travel that matters

why do we have to have a massive pendulum swing, lets explore

As I have said before, we need a new middle way

capitalism with a social conscience

White G

Post by White G » 12 Dec 2017, 18:47

Brianposh wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 23:13
White G wrote:

What a load of codswallop. I cannot believe you honestly think that.
Why exactly do you think the Tories are economically prudent? Is it because of the media telling you this? The fact that most billionaire tax-dodging newspaper owners donate to the Tories and back them 100% says it all really. Why would they want to give up the status quo?

Corbyn may not be the answer but it's appalling that we let a handful of billionaires dictate to us, and allowed us to blame jobless & immigrants while the elite keep getting stronger. Anyway Brian, some interesting links below:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 47661.html

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2013/11/t ... an-labour/

https://www.theguardian.com/news/databl ... owing-data

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016 ... -70-years/

stuie

Post by stuie » 12 Dec 2017, 18:50

White G wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 18:47

Corbyn might not be the answer but it's appalling that we let a handful of billionaires dictate to us, and allowed us to blame jobless & immigrants while the elite keep getting stronger.

:stupid:

White G

Post by White G » 12 Dec 2017, 18:52

stuie wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 18:29
I think the rich are too rich, and to some extent wealth needs redistributing, so yes why don't we try moving towards some of these

It's not going to happen with the Tories. Even the Royal Mail was stripped off public hands and sold to Osborne's toff mates on the cheap. The PM's husband even works for a dodgy offshore company who don't pay tax. Why would these kinds of people voluntarily give up their privileges?

stuie

Post by stuie » 12 Dec 2017, 18:56

White G wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 18:52
stuie wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 18:29

It's not going to happen with the Tories. Even the Royal Mail was stripped off public hands and sold to Osborne's toff mates on the cheap. The PM's husband even works for a dodgy offshore company who don't pay tax. Why would these kinds of people voluntarily give up their privileges?
and it's not going to happen with Corbyn, as he will try and swing to the left too quick and bankrupt the country, and after 2 terms, the tories will need to pick up the bill

unfortunately this is the pendulum swing of British politics

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 13 Dec 2017, 21:12

The rabid brexiteers have tonight lost their vote in which they tried to stop parliament being in control of the most important decision of this century. Utter bonkers!! t

This just shows how untruthful their whole campaign has been. they care nothing about the prosperity of the country, their dismal aim is nothing other than to leave the EU. Than is not an end in itself, just a doorway (or cliff edge more like)

And suddenly the magic money tree (which labour are not allowed to use) suddenly finds a billion for the lovely arlene and £45 billions for paying off the EU. This is madness

According to the red bus we were supposed to be £18 billions per annum better off to feed the NHS.

and the easily-led lapped it up.

does anybody believe a word david davis says? or mrs may or the twerp johnson (who did the west ham deal over the olympic stadium)

stuie

Post by stuie » 14 Dec 2017, 11:21

Hopefully with the latest vote in parliament, we van negotiate a decent brexit, but not a hard brexit

right decision by parliament, and holds the government to account

however, I guess 5 tough years ahead

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 14 Dec 2017, 15:49

the tory press today, particularly the daily mail ( interestingly the chief apologist for appeasement in the 30's and owned today by a billionaire not paying UK taxes) should be ashamed of themselves.
They have put forward. over the past two years , the view that brexit will (inter alia) restore democracy to our parliament.

However when the mother of parliaments seeks to demonstrate democracy as it did so successfully yesterday, then the daily mail seeks to vilify Right Honourable Members (Right and Honourable,) who have voted democratically , as being "traitors", just as they described the judges as "enemies of the people".

This is utterly disgraceful, and is closely akin to the Stalinist propaganda of the 1930s

I am confident that these words "traitors, enemies of the people etc " will be quoted, dog whistle style, by many of the less gifted, the more easily led of our populace as if it were a truth, just as the £350 million for the NHS was quoted and believed by the lemmings., and they voted for "strong and stable" because the mail told them to.

The government is frightened to let it be known what their estimate of the financial impact will be because it is so dire.

If anybody can tell me that this is the Brexit they thought they were voting for (£40 billions downpayment as a starter, collapsing pound , poor trade deals with EU and not much on the horizon with WTO, falling GDP, an under staffed NHS, nobody to pick the spuds, reduced food standards,and immigration still double the promised "less than 100k") then I will be fascinated to hear it.