This bonkers World we live in

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

This bonkers World we live in

Post by bristleposh » 02 Nov 2017, 16:07

Allegations against MPs, film producers, actors and whoever else for sexual harassment. Yes they've done wrong but how far back should allegations go. I have no doubt Errol Flynn touched up one or two fillies back in the day (allegedly).

Moana, apparently a Disney film about a young girl from Polynesia who is some kind of a hero. Yet parents are told not to dress their kiddy winks in Moana costumes because it is offensive to Polynesians. I wanted to attend a fancy dress party as a tiger perhaps that would be offensive to tigers. It's a crazy mixed up, f**ked up world for sure.

In Bristol we are changing the name of The Colston Hall, despite the money poured into the city his name is tainted because of his association with the slave trade. There have even been talk of changing the name of The Wills building because of the association with the money having come from tobacco products. You couldn't make it up.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by trevormans » 02 Nov 2017, 20:43

For once I agree with your tedium with chompys utterly boring efforts and do wonder why he bothers. It really adds nothing other than to demonstrate that he was born from one particular end of the gene pool


However .....

The Wills building name is a source of shame not because he produced tobacco products but rather because the tobacco wealth derived from rotten slave Labour

That he then put a small proportion of his wealth to benefit the arts might perhaps salve his conscience and perhaps won him a knighthood or similar but it was still rotten


The Colston hall and the Wills building ought better be known for what they are......

“The fruits of the evil slavery trade hall”

And the “awful tobacco wealth derived from inhuman treatment Building”

You say you couldn’t make it up

You are correct

it is unbelievable! That we treated mankind as we did

Far better to look at what the Fry family did for Bristol

User avatar
DoubleRay
Posts: 1055
Joined: 12 Jul 2016, 15:39
Location: Stanground

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by DoubleRay » 02 Nov 2017, 21:26

Where do Bristolians get their information from?..........

An aye-phone.

Ooo_ arrr.

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 15699
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by DaveLister » 02 Nov 2017, 22:07

DoubleRay wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 21:26
Where do Bristolians get their information from?..........

An aye-phone.

Ooo_ arrr.
Behave, Bristle still uses an abacus to add up.
Image

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16045
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by ashman » 02 Nov 2017, 22:11

How about this then?

Definition of Roman Catholic: of, relating to, or being a Christian church having a hierarchy of priests and bishops under the pope, a liturgy centered in the Mass, veneration of the Virgin Mary and saints, clerical celibacy, and a body of dogma including transubstantiation and papal infallibility.

..... and refering to the Church of England .....

Bishop Peter Ball was convicted in October 2015 on several charges of indecent assault against young adult men. There are allegations of large-scale earlier cover-ups involving many British establishment figures which prevented Ball's earlier prosecution. There have also been allegations of child sex abuse, for example Robert Waddington. A complainant, known only as "Joe", tried for decades to have action taken over sadistic sex abuse which Garth Moore perpetrated against him in 1976 when "Joe" was 15 years old. None of the high ranking clergy who "Joe" spoke to recall being told about the abuse, which "Joe" considers incredible.
A representative of the solicitors firm representing "Joe" said:
'The Church of England wants to bury and discourage allegations of non-recent abuse. They know how difficult it is for survivors to come forward, and it appears from this case that the Church has a plan of making it hard for these vulnerable people to come forward. This survivor has had the courage to press his case. Most do not. Most harbour the psychological fallout in silence. We need to find a way to make the system more approachable for survivors.


You couldn't make it up could you? :roll: :roll:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by bristleposh » 02 Nov 2017, 22:17

They're almost as bad as the Muslims who abuse children and murder others, but if we criticise them we are the racists, noticeable how just about every grooming gang in the country has been made up predominantly of people of Pakistani origin, I believe a Muslim nation.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by trevormans » 02 Nov 2017, 22:48

Have not the Christian church been found guilty of ongoing abuse of children for many generations?

Yes of course

Did saville Hindley and Brady Cyril Smith and so many others convert to Islam before they committed their heinous crimes??

No of course they did not . they were what we might laughingly call Christians

But the barmy press keep feeding anti Islam rants and those of the Richard head persuasion lap it up and then pass it on as if it is an irrefutable truth

You are encouraged to believe the one eyed press and pass it on as if it were the truth


That you ignore the evils of slavery and yet pass on the anti Islam rants demonstrates just how easily led you are

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by bristleposh » 03 Nov 2017, 09:41

trevormans wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 22:48
Have not the Christian church been found guilty of ongoing abuse of children for many generations?

Yes of course

Did saville Hindley and Brady Cyril Smith and so many others convert to Islam before they committed their heinous crimes??

No of course they did not . they were what we might laughingly call Christians

But the barmy press keep feeding anti Islam rants and those of the Richard head persuasion lap it up and then pass it on as if it is an irrefutable truth

You are encouraged to believe the one eyed press and pass it on as if it were the truth


That you ignore the evils of slavery and yet pass on the anti Islam rants demonstrates just how easily led you are
Thank you so much for putting me right when my facts are so obviously tainted by images of the twin towers falling, the head of Lee Rigby rolling across the floor and the sight of those poor yound girls in Rochdale, Rotherham and many other towns who have been groomed and abused.The bombing and attacks in London, Paris, Manchester, Marseilles, New York, Barcelona too many to mention. The fact that the heinous press and TV also reported on Savile, Brady, Smith et al, leads me to think that your message comes somewhat late for me to expunge those writings from my tainted memory.
The slave trade as you rightly say was an evil thing, but possibly no worse than the trade in ivory, where entire species are being forced to the verge of extinction.
Your writings tend to make me think you are or was a student, so probably have been easily led by left wing idealogical groomers in the educational departments of Universities. I too had a spell in UWE and was regulary appalled by some the crepe that was spouted by the lecturers. Because a person is better educated than another does not make their opinion any more correct.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16045
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by ashman » 03 Nov 2017, 11:14

bristleposh wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 09:41
Your writings tend to make me think you are or was a student, so probably have been easily led by left wing idealogical groomers in the educational departments of Universities. I too had a spell in UWE and was regulary appalled by some the crepe that was spouted by the lecturers. Because a person is better educated than another does not make their opinion any more correct.
Well said Professor. :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by bristleposh » 03 Nov 2017, 19:33

ashman wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:14
bristleposh wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 09:41
Your writings tend to make me think you are or was a student, so probably have been easily led by left wing idealogical groomers in the educational departments of Universities. I too had a spell in UWE and was regulary appalled by some the crepe that was spouted by the lecturers. Because a person is better educated than another does not make their opinion any more correct.
Well said Professor. :wink:
You're welcome
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by trevormans » 04 Nov 2017, 11:32

I think we were all students at one time so to remark that
“You was one” doesn’t say much perhaps
Some managed to finish the course others chose to put forward reasons for not doing so
I would never suggest that a full education makes ones views more or less correct
What I do believe though is that education is a means to expand ones capacity to reason and sort things out for oneself and not be led astray by facile soundbites

I would always be opposed to the ivory trade but to put it on a par with the murderous slave trade of the last 500 years (so much of it done by allegedly Christian countries) to my mind stretches incredulity beyond decency. You said previously that Wilberforce was mistaken in abolishing the slave trade. I think that says more than enough about the benefits of a full education or in your case the lack of it

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by bristleposh » 04 Nov 2017, 13:43

I was one, or you were one, has nought to do with the twin towers coming down, or the bombings in all those places I mentioned. There are evil people all across the globe, the cowardly acts of the acid throwers has nothing to do with religion. When you see on Twitter images of people kicking cats you know the World is in a complete mess. Politicians past and present in all nations are to blame for this, most of whom would claim to have completed their education, so not such a strong argument from you on that issue.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by trevormans » 04 Nov 2017, 20:42

Masterful

If your last post was a response to my last post then I am confident that if you think things through one step at a time you will eventually manage to agree with me that you have missed my point

The point made was that anybody who equates the ivory trade( no matter how contemptible it is) with murderous and genocidal slavery is a person of very little brain irrespective of whether or not they succeeded at the Uwe or similar

That previously you had intimated that Wilber force was wrong to abolish the slave trade just shows a level of ignorance of blind prejudice an utter stupidity

Worthy only of those dependent on sound bites and dog whistle thoughts whilst being incapable of thinking through thoughts themselves
Slavery without any equivocation was evil with a capital f

Long live education

And for your information the last lecturers some 50 years since who taught me were well into their sixties and clearly of a hugely conservative mindset

I was capable of learning but not being influenced

You seem not be

Not spouters of the revolutionary crepe that you spoke of earlier when you suggested my thinking was “probably” led astray by them

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by bristleposh » 04 Nov 2017, 21:28

So by just reiterating what you said in a previous post makes you clever, sadly not, throw as many insults at me as you like. Stick and stones will not break my bones. I had moved on to the important issues in the conversation which you totally ignored, who was responsible for the dastardly deeds throughout the last twenty years. I think you'll find the twin towers the slaughter of Lee Rigby the rape and abhorrent abuse of young girls in city's throughout the UK. Answer that with your superior intellect without resorting to Chompy style Manning/Davidson slurs.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: This bonkers World we live in

Post by trevormans » 04 Nov 2017, 21:42

Bad men misguided as they are are always bad men

So too were the Christian in las Vegas and all the Christians in Derry Belfast and enniskillen Mcgurks bar
Birmingham and Guildford
Or the nutter in Norway and all those good Christians who perpetrated Krystal nacht as foreplay before the butchery of treblinka or of srebenice

All misguided and all bad men

All bad men all misguided

Defend if you can your views on slavery

You cannot so like the idiot trump you use diversion

They are beneath stupid and fully worthy of contempt whether one is educated or not

Go on defend them


Defend if you can the ridiculousness of Verwoerds apartheid

They are misguided and stupid

Do not make sly comments because I persevered with education when your prejudice or your intellect stopped you but you sought to blame others

Follow the dog whistle , it gives comfort to those who cant think

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest