The Ashes

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

superposh80
Posts: 4833
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: The Ashes

Post by superposh80 » 27 Nov 2017, 11:09

We got into some good positions in the first 3 days but didn't capitalise on them....They did and that's where the match was won and lost.

They're not a 5-0 better side than us but if we lose the next test big then we could be looking at another whitewash.

As for Smith...Good player and captain but he's tainted by his "Referral from the balcony" incident which cricket fans...and especially the barmy army....will never let him forget.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18321
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes

Post by tonyp » 27 Nov 2017, 11:58

superposh80 wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 11:09
We got into some good positions in the first 3 days but didn't capitalise on them....They did and that's where the match was won and lost.

They're not a 5-0 better side than us but if we lose the next test big then we could be looking at another whitewash.

As for Smith...Good player and captain but he's tainted by his "Referral from the balcony" incident which cricket fans...and especially the barmy army....will never let him forget.
Once again I have to agree with all of that.
We are not a 5-0 better side than England.
But we are a 1-0 better side
If Australia win the second Test, in Adelaide, (which in my opinion is unlikely) then we could be heading for a whitewash.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18321
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes

Post by tonyp » 30 Nov 2017, 08:35

Cricinfo says
Police seek 'charging advice' into Stokes incident.
Avon and Somerset police have completed their investigation into the incident involving Ben Stokes outside a Bristol nightclub in September and have passed a file onto the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for advice on whether he should be charged.
Stokes is playing in New Zealand this week.
You never know. We could still see him in Australia.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18321
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes

Post by tonyp » 30 Nov 2017, 08:52

Second Test (D/N), at Adelaide, Dec 2-6 2017.
Pink ball!
Day 1 starts at 1:30 pm Adelaide time.
That's 1:00 pm in Brisbane and 3 am in Peterborough.
Worth getting up early for. England are expected to perform better in this Test.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 14693
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: The Ashes

Post by stuie » 30 Nov 2017, 08:52

tonyp wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 08:35
Cricinfo says
Police seek 'charging advice' into Stokes incident.
Avon and Somerset police have completed their investigation into the incident involving Ben Stokes outside a Bristol nightclub in September and have passed a file onto the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for advice on whether he should be charged.
Stokes is playing in New Zealand this week.
You never know. We could still see him in Australia.
I think we will
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

superposh80
Posts: 4833
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: The Ashes

Post by superposh80 » 30 Nov 2017, 15:32

....We won't.

The case has now been sent to the CPS...and that will take a few weeks before they decide whether to bring charges, by which time the Ashes will be done.

He's broken the ECB code of conduct and won't be available until the outcome is know.

Personally...I think he should be playing as at this moment in time he's been found guilty of nothing. What's done for him is it's all on mobile phone footage and social media got hold of it.

The series is worse off without him.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 14693
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: The Ashes

Post by stuie » 30 Nov 2017, 18:30

superposh80 wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 15:32
....We won't.

The case has now been sent to the CPS...and that will take a few weeks before they decide whether to bring charges, by which time the Ashes will be done.

He's broken the ECB code of conduct and won't be available until the outcome is know.

Personally...I think he should be playing as at this moment in time he's been found guilty of nothing. What's done for him is it's all on mobile phone footage and social media got hold of it.

The series is worse off without him.
having heard the news today, I was wrong and agree with you
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

superposh80
Posts: 4833
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: The Ashes

Post by superposh80 » 30 Nov 2017, 19:55

we needed him though stuie...

not just for his all round brilliance...but the aggression he brings to the side.

they are bullying us on and off the pitch atm...stokes wouldn't have stood for that, he'd have given it back and more.

would have loved to have seen him chin warner, instead of that lad in bristol :D

Wycliffe
Posts: 1044
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: The Ashes

Post by Wycliffe » 01 Dec 2017, 08:23

superposh80 wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 15:32
....We won't.

The case has now been sent to the CPS...and that will take a few weeks before they decide whether to bring charges, by which time the Ashes will be done.

He's broken the ECB code of conduct and won't be available until the outcome is know.

Personally...I think he should be playing as at this moment in time he's been found guilty of nothing. What's done for him is it's all on mobile phone footage and social media got hold of it.

The series is worse off without him.
Agree with all of the above.

He is employed by the ECB who have suspended him from representing his country yet have seemingly allowed him to play for some two bit state in NZ.

He has not been found guilty of anything.

There is a possibility the CPS could equally say no case to answer.

The old farts regardless of age of the ECB should for once think of their country and not the supposed 'image' of England cricket which frankly is irrelevant if we win.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 14693
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: The Ashes

Post by stuie » 01 Dec 2017, 10:08

Wycliffe wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 08:23
superposh80 wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 15:32
....We won't.

The case has now been sent to the CPS...and that will take a few weeks before they decide whether to bring charges, by which time the Ashes will be done.

He's broken the ECB code of conduct and won't be available until the outcome is know.

Personally...I think he should be playing as at this moment in time he's been found guilty of nothing. What's done for him is it's all on mobile phone footage and social media got hold of it.

The series is worse off without him.
Agree with all of the above.

He is employed by the ECB who have suspended him from representing his country yet have seemingly allowed him to play for some two bit state in NZ.

He has not been found guilty of anything.

There is a possibility the CPS could equally say no case to answer.

The old farts regardless of age of the ECB should for once think of their country and not the supposed 'image' of England cricket which frankly is irrelevant if we win.
:stupid: if prosecuted, different proposition
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

FatBlokeFromBristol
Posts: 11
Joined: 30 Nov 2017, 10:03

Re: The Ashes

Post by FatBlokeFromBristol » 01 Dec 2017, 10:10

Wycliffe wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 08:23



He has not been found guilty of anything.



The old farts regardless of age of the ECB should for once think of their country and not the supposed 'image' of England cricket which frankly is irrelevant if we win.
Seems odd especially when we are playing against a load of crims

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18321
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes

Post by tonyp » 01 Dec 2017, 10:21

FatBlokeFromBristol wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 10:10
Wycliffe wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 08:23



He has not been found guilty of anything.



The old farts regardless of age of the ECB should for once think of their country and not the supposed 'image' of England cricket which frankly is irrelevant if we win.
Seems odd especially when we are playing against a load of crims
gpwm
Welcome to the board FatBloke.
Being happy never goes out of style

trevormans
Posts: 189
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: The Ashes

Post by trevormans » 01 Dec 2017, 13:45

FatBlokeFromBristol wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 10:10
Wycliffe wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 08:23



He has not been found guilty of anything.



The old farts regardless of age of the ECB should for once think of their country and not the supposed 'image' of England cricket which frankly is irrelevant if we win.
Seems odd especially when we are playing against a load of crims
A twist on this was

when my australian friend told his mother that he planned top emigrate to england, she asked the not unreasonable question " why do you want to live in a country where all the convicts come from"?

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18321
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes

Post by tonyp » 01 Dec 2017, 23:27

trevormans wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 13:45
FatBlokeFromBristol wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 10:10
Wycliffe wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 08:23



He has not been found guilty of anything.



The old farts regardless of age of the ECB should for once think of their country and not the supposed 'image' of England cricket which frankly is irrelevant if we win.
Seems odd especially when we are playing against a load of crims
A twist on this was

when my australian friend told his mother that he planned top emigrate to england, she asked the not unreasonable question " why do you want to live in a country where all the convicts come from"?
:lol: :clap2: I like your friend's mother already!
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18321
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes

Post by tonyp » 02 Dec 2017, 06:00

OK here we go then.
England won the toss and decided to bowl.
Too early to say how that decision will affect the result of the game.
I was out and didn't see the toss so I don't know what Steve Smith said.
I'm guessing he would probably have batted.
But England's bowlers (especially Anderson) are good enough to justify Joe Root's decision.
It's raining in Adelaide right now. That might affect the result more than Root's decision.
Being happy never goes out of style

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests