Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by ashman » 22 Mar 2019, 09:00

bristleposh wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 08:51
I notice that the p[etition was signed by over2million people who don't understand what Article 50 is, or don't like the idea of democracy any more, what is the point of democracy if you don't accept the vote when it is delivered
Maybe they thought they were conned in the original vote. I must admit that way back then I didn't really understand the implications - I still struggle to work it all out - either that or I am becoming totally bored with the whole business!

39 pages of twaddle tends to suggest that others are getting fed up too! (175 pages on .net too!)
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 22 Mar 2019, 10:08

ashman wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 09:00
bristleposh wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 08:51
I notice that the p[etition was signed by over2million people who don't understand what Article 50 is, or don't like the idea of democracy any more, what is the point of democracy if you don't accept the vote when it is delivered
Maybe they thought they were conned in the original vote. I must admit that way back then I didn't really understand the implications - I still struggle to work it all out - either that or I am becoming totally bored with the whole business!

39 pages of twaddle tends to suggest that others are getting fed up too! (175 pages on .net too!)
Exactly, bored with the whole business, we really needed to get the f out of this awful United States of Europe
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 24 Mar 2019, 20:23

can anybody tell me when "the United states of Europe" has had a direct and tangible effect on anybodys (on this website) life?

or is it one of the myths like " Dunkirk spirit" (a major defeat) , " we can do our own trade deals" (but we cannot replace the trade we will lose if we brexit) ,or like " we traded successfully for hundreds of years" (ie we exploited our empire, and we were the poor man in Europe by 1970) or a myth like "£350 million (never the correct sum) to the NHS", or "80 million Turks landing on our doorstep" or a myth like "no ifs and no buts we will reduce immigration to below 100k", or just piecemeal mantras (money, borders and laws) ("brexit means brexit") and soundbites ("enemies of the people", "traitors", etc etc) that only those from the shallower end of the genepool will repeat. But they have to repeat because they cannot present facts.

Democracy is not a point in time, it is a dynamic and will change when circumstances change. Mrs mays general election asked for a mandate and it did not arrive

I think the petition has been signed now by over 5.2 million , most of whom now do in fact fully understand the devastating damage that implementing Article 50 will cause

perhaps you or some other wise person can say how it (brexit) will make us prosper (possibly backed up with facts???). Nobody seems able to nowadays even though it was going to lead to a major brexit dividend, but this is now forgotten.

If the only reason we should carry on with brexit is that there was a slight majority (and I full respect that there was a majority) some 3 years ago before many people understood the implications, then with our knowledge having changed ,it is genuinely time to say "we were mistaken, we were misled, we were lied to"

if it can be shown that there is a substantial dividend that can be demonstrated to tangibly benefit the majority of the 62 million, then let us hear it............................................???

I think we all know that there is no substantial benefit other than the pathetic sound bites

White G

Post by White G » 24 Mar 2019, 21:56

bristleposh wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 10:08
Exactly, bored with the whole business, we really needed to get the f out of this awful United States of Europe
What exactly is awful about Europe? There's been so many positives but all the so-called negatives turn out to be untrue.

Deep down, even the biggest Brexiteers know that this isn't a move for the better. It's getting a bit embarrassing now, people now need to accept they were duped, and move forward!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Mar 2019, 23:15

The people who were duped into voting for leave find that has hard to accept as those that wish to remain find it hard to accept that leaving would be good for the nation. Only avid readers of The Mirror, The Sketch and The Guardian want to remain.

White G

Post by White G » 25 Mar 2019, 08:56

bristleposh wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 23:15
The people who were duped into voting for leave find that has hard to accept as those that wish to remain find it hard to accept that leaving would be good for the nation. Only avid readers of The Mirror, The Sketch and The Guardian want to remain.
Has anyone here gave me a concrete reason why the EU iso so terrible yet? Just an observation. To me it seems like older, out of touch people, racists, the far right, nationalists etc who want Brexit, and the logic simply isn't there. People who understand business, worldwide issues, enjoy a state of peace & realise implications tend to support Remain.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 25 Mar 2019, 12:04

White G wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 08:56
bristleposh wrote:
Has anyone here gave me a concrete reason why the EU iso so terrible yet? Just an observation. To me it seems like older, out of touch people, racists, the far right, nationalists etc who want Brexit, and the logic simply isn't there. People who understand business, worldwide issues, enjoy a state of peace & realise implications tend to support Remain.
It may be a sad fact that elderly, out of touch (ie a Daily Telegraph reading), racist, homophobic, Islamaphobic and nationalist folk are still allowed a vote in this country. Perhaps I should be required to sit a test set by the politically correct before voting again.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Mar 2019, 12:09

White G wrote:
bristleposh wrote:
Has anyone here given me a concrete reason why the EU is so terrible yet? Just an observation. To me it seems like older, out of touch people, racists, the far right, nationalists etc. are the ones that want it and the logic simply isn't there. People who understand business, worldwide issues, enjoy a state of peace & realise implications tend to support Remain.
I must say that I tend to agree with that! :clap2:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Mar 2019, 12:38

Poshay wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 12:04
White G wrote:
bristleposh wrote:
It may be a sad fact that elderly, out of touch (ie a Daily Telegraph reading), racist, homophobic, Islamaphobic and nationalist folk are still allowed a vote in this country. Perhaps I should be required to sit a test set by the politically correct before voting again.
....and I agree with that

White G

Post by White G » 28 Mar 2019, 23:03

The whole thing of Brexiteers being outspoken and frowned upon by the PC brigade is nonsense. Fact is that many people voted to leave because of immigration, but now it turns out that it won't stop it. There will be skills shortages from hardworking EU citizens going home, but it won't stop the Asian / African contingent. The myth about Europe being a drain on resources has been debunked & the NHS isn't going to get an extra £350m per week.

I work for a German firm who supply raw materials for manufacturing sites all over the UK. Like it or not, we all need each other to be successful , and there aren't too many Brexiteers in my workplace as we know how things work.

The days of the British Empire are gone and we need to accept our place & adapt to the changing world. This something elderly people tend to generally struggle with more.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 28 Mar 2019, 23:38

I didn't vote for Brexit to stop immigration ; that particular battle was lost many years ago when the Windrush docked. I voted so that we would be governed by people who we could elect on a manifesto and not by faceless Eurocrats. If I had seen how our MPs have behaved over Brexit implementation and are now squabbling like schoolkids in the playground I may well have voted otherwise.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

ashman

Post by ashman » 29 Mar 2019, 08:11

Poshay wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 23:38
I didn't vote for Brexit to stop immigration ; that particular battle was lost many years ago when the Windrush docked. I voted so that we would be governed by people who we could elect on a manifesto and not by faceless Eurocrats. If I had seen how our MPs have behaved over Brexit implementation and are now squabbling like schoolkids in the playground I may well have voted otherwise.
It's a pity you didn't. It's too late now! 'We're all doomed!' :lol: :lol:

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 29 Mar 2019, 08:23

ashman wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 08:11
'We're all doomed!' :lol: :lol:

On the other hand-

Nobody I've met here in Australia (including me) understands what's going on.
Being happy never goes out of style

ashman

Post by ashman » 29 Mar 2019, 08:43

tonyp wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 08:23
Oh no! I'm turning into an Aussie! :wink:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 29 Mar 2019, 09:13

ashman wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 08:43
tonyp wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 08:23
Oh no! I'm turning into an Aussie! :wink:
I hope not, you'll be serving or bowling underarm.