Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply
trevormans
Posts: 360
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 10 Jul 2018, 10:07

i believe the real question is where is the evidence that we will not be worse off? I believe there is no realistic evidence, just wishful thinking

already the devalued pound is costing us far more than the £130 pppa cost of being in the EU

inward investment , I understand was 60% of all inward investment coming into the EU, is already down, and indications are that it will plummet. in many instances we will not notice , because the money will just not come to us

we were the fast growing economy in the EU, now we are wallowing , far behind the best

we were told the EU would not demand an exit fee . We have agreed £40 billion. this is 4 times our net annual contribution to the EU

nobody has yet told me what laws, what ECJ decisions, have caused us such personal inconvenience that we need to "take back control"

too many people do not understand that the majority of immigration comes from outside the EU

too many people were persuaded by the soundbites ,too few examined facts

please show us the evidence of benefits , not just the wishful thinking

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15566
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by stuie » 10 Jul 2018, 18:25

PoshCynic wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 20:34
Brianposh wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:03
We are still leaving the EU next March 2019 though thank goodness.
I begin to wonder.
me too, if Teresaa May went, the conservatives lost government, the situation would be the same, due to all the different opinions, indecisiveness both main parties split down the middle, what ever deal is negotiated imo will end up being voted on by parliament, or the country,
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

tooposhforwords
Posts: 464
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 13:06

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tooposhforwords » 10 Jul 2018, 19:20

bristleposh wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 22:11
tooposhforwords wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 21:40
A much poorer country- trade especially going to be hit drastically.
....and you know this how, from reading it in the Beano
I read it from the FT, Economist, WSJ, WAPO and books published on the EU from Oxford/Cambridge University Press.

tooposhforwords
Posts: 464
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 13:06

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tooposhforwords » 10 Jul 2018, 19:23

trevormans wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 10:07

nobody has yet told me what laws, what ECJ decisions, have caused us such personal inconvenience that we need to "take back control
Brian and Bristle?

I doubt it.

tooposhforwords
Posts: 464
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 13:06

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tooposhforwords » 10 Jul 2018, 19:32

Why couldn’t these boomers expire before the vote?

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27634
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 10 Jul 2018, 21:52

The value of the pound more or less nose dived as soon as we joined the EU. Had we have stayed out as many of us boomers would have wished we would have been in a far stronger financial position today. The fact that it has dropped again is an irrelevance. Had we not joined the problem would not have arisen. What is needed is A Thatcher to sort out the mess, we don't have one on either side of the house, mores the shame.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

trevormans
Posts: 360
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 12 Jul 2018, 20:27

I do not believe that there is substantial evidence for what you say
The pound had steadily devalued for the twenty years prior to our joining in 1973, what had been 4 dollars tot he pound in the 1940s had dropped to 2.40 by 1968 and still continued to fall. There was no immediate drop after we joined, whereas there was one of some 15-20% on 24 june 2016, clearly directly attributable to the brexit vote. this will continue to make all imports more expensive.

I see no evidence to say that had we not joined in 1973 that we would have been in a stronger financial position today. Like so much brexit talk it is not evidence based, This is why they dare not say the truth about the costs of brexit now

we would never agree on what you say about Mrs Thatcher. Too much of what she did was socially divisive and we are reaping the harvest of that today. I attribute so much of the decline of british manufacturing to her policies. The policy of council house sales and not allowing councils to reinvest the money was incredibly badly thought through. The north/ south divide derives very much from her causing industrial deserts in once thriving areas, The falklands war could and should have been avoided years before, had she listened to carrington in cabinet. the tax reductions were largely funded by the stream of privatisations. Can we really say most of the privatisations have been a benefit to either the customer or the taxpayer?. Gas ?water, ?electricity, ? and so many more. It was all about how to make a quick buck, and greed was ok. and lets not consider the society at large, because they would probably not vote for her amyway.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27634
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 12 Jul 2018, 20:49

Didn't the lovely Tony Blair take us into a similar war, to find lots of protractors and compasses or weapons of maths instruction
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

trevormans
Posts: 360
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 12 Jul 2018, 21:17

by far blairs biggest mistake and utterly stupid and misguided

but the falklands war, paraded as a triumph, was totally avoidable

but it is you who is saying we need thatcher right now

i am not saying we need another blair

thatchers legacy is social division

tooposhforwords
Posts: 464
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 13:06

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tooposhforwords » 13 Jul 2018, 00:16

trevormans wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 21:17
by far blairs biggest mistake and utterly stupid and misguided

but the falklands war, paraded as a triumph, was totally avoidable

but it is you who is saying we need thatcher right now

i am not saying we need another blair

thatchers legacy is social division
One of our most liberal politicians actually. Not forgetting that a junta in control of Argentina wanting to re-claim an island that they didn’t care much about prior to the event. What was she to do after the invasion?

Thatcher’s legacy was one of individual rights, a reformed economy and an end to zealous nationalised industry leaders and its unions. Far more positives than negatives.
Last edited by tooposhforwords on 13 Jul 2018, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

tooposhforwords
Posts: 464
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 13:06

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tooposhforwords » 13 Jul 2018, 00:17

Also worth noting her suspicion of Europe was primarily with France(mostly misinformed paranoia) and the monetary policies of the bloc.

tooposhforwords
Posts: 464
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 13:06

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tooposhforwords » 13 Jul 2018, 00:22

bristleposh wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 21:52
The value of the pound more or less nose dived as soon as we joined the EU. Had we have stayed out as many of us boomers would have wished we would have been in a far stronger financial position today. The fact that it has dropped again is an irrelevance. Had we not joined the problem would not have arisen. What is needed is A Thatcher to sort out the mess, we don't have one on either side of the house, mores the shame.
I apologise that was a nasty comment of mine.

Like many others, I just don’t understand the benefits of this decision.

tooposhforwords
Posts: 464
Joined: 01 Feb 2010, 13:06

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tooposhforwords » 13 Jul 2018, 00:27

tooposhforwords wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 00:22
bristleposh wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 21:52
The value of the pound more or less nose dived as soon as we joined the EU. Had we have stayed out as many of us boomers would have wished we would have been in a far stronger financial position today. The fact that it has dropped again is an irrelevance. Had we not joined the problem would not have arisen. What is needed is A Thatcher to sort out the mess, we don't have one on either side of the house, mores the shame.
I apologise that was a nasty comment of mine.

Like many others, I just don’t understand the benefits of this decision.
What does the pound have to do with the EU? We have our own currency unlike other EU states. The pound changes daily and for myriad reasons. What do you think will happen to the pound when investors realise that they can’t trade easily within the single market?

This stuff is incredibly simple.

trevormans
Posts: 360
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 13 Jul 2018, 16:28

tooposhforwords wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 00:16
trevormans wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 21:17
by far blairs biggest mistake and utterly stupid and misguided

but the falklands war, paraded as a triumph, was totally avoidable


thatchers legacy is social division
One of our most liberal politicians actually. Not forgetting that a junta in control of Argentina wanting to re-claim an island that they didn’t care much about prior to the event. What was she to do after the invasion?

Thatcher’s legacy was one of individual rights, a reformed economy and an end to zealous nationalised industry leaders and its unions. Far more positives than negatives.


I genuinely do not see how she advanced individual rights,

you and I agree that she transformed the economy (you feel it improved things, i believe it caused social division), i see far more negatives than positives, and we now have nationalised industries from overseas owning our privatised industries! our councils are now paying exorbitant housing benefit to landlords who have acquired the sold off council houses. bonkers!!

with regard to the falklands war , what was she to do after the invasion? carrington resigned , so should she have done! on account of her total incompetence.

We then had to get them back, and our forces did a good job.

although a thousand people lost their lives in the process

in 1978 david owen sent the gun boats round the island and galtieri backed off. thatcher withdrew the south atlantic fleet thus sending an open invitation to invade

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27634
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 13 Jul 2018, 21:16

trevormans wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 16:28


you and I agree that she transformed the economy (you feel it improved things, i believe it caused social division), i see far more negatives than positives, and we now have nationalised industries from overseas owning our privatised industries! our councils are now paying exorbitant housing benefit to landlords who have acquired the sold off council houses. bonkers!!

with regard to the falklands war , what was she to do after the invasion? carrington resigned , so should she have done! on account of her total incompetence.

We then had to get them back, and our forces did a good job.

although a thousand people lost their lives in the process

in 1978 david owen sent the gun boats round the island and galtieri backed off. thatcher withdrew the south atlantic fleet thus sending an open invitation to invade
You have obviously you studied politics and appear to have a wonderful understanding of socialist policies. My knowledge is negligible, all I know is that everybody living in Thatcher's world were given an opportunity to get on the property ladder. I took mine, many others like me also chose to do that. As for the privatisation of nationalised industries, again everybody could have invested in them instead many chose to just grumble about the opportunities being offered to them, many preferring to squander their money at the local bookmakers or pubs.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest