Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27031
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 04 Dec 2017, 21:05

I saw in the Metro today than the Shiite was about to hit the van. Why the fuss over Ireland apparently less than 5% of trade comes across that particular border, it may be as low as 2% but as I can't remember I'll go for the more conservative guesstimate
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1711
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by White G » 17 Mar 2018, 21:43

I find it amazing that the Tories and their media friends seem to have turned this Russia situation to their advantage. The Tories refusal to face up to the Russian problems due to Oligarchs pumping money into their pockets is disgusting. To vote down actions that Corbyn has pushed for, then call him a Russian sympathiser is ridiculous. Even sadder is that our own BBC is letting this happen & beingthe establishment's puppet. And we think Russia Today is full of propaganda?

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27031
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 18 Mar 2018, 00:05

I take it you watched the newsnight propaganda in support of the indefensible. Corbyn is a complete and utter kn0b and the sooner Labour despatches with the commie sympathiser the more chance we'll have of a credible opposition.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15402
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by stuie » 18 Mar 2018, 10:39

I am no fan of Corbyn, but on the Russia situation, he holds the right position

Let the detectives do the work, before blaming one individual

In a criminal court you need, beyond reasonable doubt, or in a civil court, the balance of probability, at least the burden of proof need to reach one of these levels, before a finger is pointed (and yes I think, it is to do with Russia)
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1711
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by White G » 18 Mar 2018, 16:04

bristleposh wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 00:05
I take it you watched the newsnight propaganda in support of the indefensible. Corbyn is a complete and utter kn0b and the sooner Labour despatches with the commie sympathiser the more chance we'll have of a credible opposition.
Corbyn has actually tried to stop the flow of dirty Russian money, but was overruled by the Tories who preferred to turn a blind eye as these very same people fund their party. I didn't watch Newsnight but seen the BBC photoshopping a picture of him, portraying him as a Russian sympathiser. Forget the people who are actually taking money off them and helping protect their financial interests, blame Jeremy instead!

trevormans
Posts: 242
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 18 Mar 2018, 17:57

my problem with Corbyn is not his politics with which I disagree profoundly , (but which have been pretty consistent for the last forty years,) but rather that ever since he became leader he has behaved like a backbencher with no sense of responsibility, towards the bigger picture. He should surely have told his parliamentary colleagues before he asked his questions ,what line he was going to be taking on behalf of the Labour party, so that at least the line could have been debated. He could then have been seen to be giving a clear lead to his party. Instead he looked and sounded like a maverick. And the reaction of his bemused colleagues showed this. Though I believe he is right to require unequivocal proof of Russia's direct involvement , he has substantially undermined his own credibility and gravitas. (Disastrously he has behaved similarly over Brexit).
The Tories for their part should absolutely be on the back foot, not least with clowns like Johnson and Williamson speaking schoolboy jingoism, and then with the government having only called the International assessment body in some ten days after the event. Giving the Russians a deadline of 24 hours "or else we will know you did it" is akin to the thinking of the ducking stool in medieval times. If you don't show you are innocent then that is proof you are guilty. We must be seen to be better than that if we want to keep the higher moral ground
That the Tories are substantially funded by russian (and other) emigres ought long ago to have been a substantial cause for concern, as is the massive money laundering which among other things is massively distorting our housing market , but this should be separated from the real and cogent immediate issue which is an act of utterly amoral terrorism being perpetrated on our sovereign country, against the tenets of almost all treaties and agreements of the last hundred years. We should be seen to be getting this right in all respects, and so far I have not been properly convinced by either the Tories nor Labour. A B-minus for both , with a "see me " for Mr Corbyn

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15402
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by stuie » 18 Mar 2018, 19:57

trevormans wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 17:57
my problem with Corbyn is not his politics with which I disagree profoundly , (but which have been pretty consistent for the last forty years,) but rather that ever since he became leader he has behaved like a backbencher with no sense of responsibility, towards the bigger picture. He should surely have told his parliamentary colleagues before he asked his questions ,what line he was going to be taking on behalf of the Labour party, so that at least the line could have been debated. He could then have been seen to be giving a clear lead to his party. Instead he looked and sounded like a maverick. And the reaction of his bemused colleagues showed this. Though I believe he is right to require unequivocal proof of Russia's direct involvement , he has substantially undermined his own credibility and gravitas. (Disastrously he has behaved similarly over Brexit).
The Tories for their part should absolutely be on the back foot, not least with clowns like Johnson and Williamson speaking schoolboy jingoism, and then with the government having only called the International assessment body in some ten days after the event. Giving the Russians a deadline of 24 hours "or else we will know you did it" is akin to the thinking of the ducking stool in medieval times. If you don't show you are innocent then that is proof you are guilty. We must be seen to be better than that if we want to keep the higher moral ground
That the Tories are substantially funded by russian (and other) emigres ought long ago to have been a substantial cause for concern, as is the massive money laundering which among other things is massively distorting our housing market , but this should be separated from the real and cogent immediate issue which is an act of utterly amoral terrorism being perpetrated on our sovereign country, against the tenets of almost all treaties and agreements of the last hundred years. We should be seen to be getting this right in all respects, and so far I have not been properly convinced by either the Tories nor Labour. A B-minus for both , with a "see me " for Mr Corbyn
fair point
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

trevormans
Posts: 242
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 30 Apr 2018, 09:32

After this weeks mess how can we trust any of them to secure a good future after Brexit

The labour front bench are no less clueless

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27031
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 30 Apr 2018, 10:08

trevormans wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 09:32
After this weeks mess how can we trust any of them to secure a good future after Brexit

The labour front bench are no less clueless
far be it for me to pick up on your use of the English language but rather than no less, shouldn't that be a damn site more :D
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

trevormans
Posts: 242
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 30 Apr 2018, 13:38

I think, for once, we are mostly in agreement, although I might have spelt it "sight"



my use of litotes was there for emphatic use, as I do not hold Corbyn's front bench in the highest of regard

https://literarydevices.net/litotes/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest