Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

White G

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by White G » 11 Jun 2017, 10:20

Stuie has been great as ever, but what about the other Tories on here? What do you think of developments & May's position?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Jun 2017, 14:12

She should go, another leadership contest must be imminent. The contenders can not be as woolly as the present incumbent.
https://hashtagbay.com/wp-content/uploads/product/40593/58f7f1702485b.png

stuie

Post by stuie » 11 Jun 2017, 16:01

bristleposh wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 14:12
She should go, another leadership contest must be imminent. The contenders can not be as woolly as the present incumbent.
Unfortunately, who is there to replace her.

I think the Tories should appoint a specific team to deal with Brexit, (especially including the Scottish Tories), possibly some pro brexiteers from labour

This Brexit challenge, is probably the biggest challenge since ww2, so we need cohesion across the house of commons

they need to regroup, and have a proper leadership contest in the summer
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Jun 2017, 16:58

stuie wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 16:01
bristleposh wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 14:12
Unfortunately, who is there to replace her.

Boris or Jacob for me

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 11 Jun 2017, 19:58

I highlighted my nightmare scenario some time before the election
Namely that Mrs wobbly would need the support of the Ulster unionists and would then make daft demands which in turn would cause the nationalists to knee jerk react
This has now come to pass. Not a surprise but seldom foreseen
This is potentially so catastrophic for the peace process that talk of people replacing the robot who are unproven or who think brexit is an end in itself , pales into insignificance

Johnson is a bumbling twerp
Rees mogg has no sense of reality

Does anybody actually think we should be led by middle class twerps whose pampered existence has sheltered them from any serious challenges in life

stuie

Post by stuie » 11 Jun 2017, 20:04

trevormans wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 13:31
the strong and stable emperors got no clothes!

However i think the tories will still get a workable position .

this leaves open the possibility for so many options, none of which I relish

one genuinely nightmare scenario could be the DUP and UUP being the support to the emperor and blackmailing her over the Ulster position

this could leave to major chaos in Northern Ireland if SF call foul and who knows what the consequences could be, certainly not good. and the cost of such a disaster could dwarf the £350 weekly NHS million which never existed in any case.
fair do's buddy, you mentioned this in ealy June -respect

daib0

Post by daib0 » 12 Jun 2017, 16:14

daib0 wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 13:00
Letter from one of the admins on 'RR' to his newly elected Conservative MP for the Newbury constituency, worth reproducing I feel:

"Hello,

Congratulations on your re-election as the MP for the Newbury constituency. While I didn't personally vote for you, I feel that the most important thing now is that we focus on matters that will affect our constituency and the country.

The reason why I'm contacting you is that I would like to express my concerns about the Conservative Party's decision to seek a confidence and supply agreement with the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).

First of all, I would like to note that I have no concerns about the legitimacy of the Conservative Party to re-enter government with the support of another party. I recognise that the Prime Minister is chosen by the MPs that were elected to Parliament and that a Prime Minister requires the support of the majority of the House of Commons to govern the country. I, additionally, recognise that, once the Speaker, Deputy Speakers and members from Sinn Fein are excluded, the Conservatives and the DUP hold a majority of Parliamentary seats.

My main concerns, in this case, drive from the policies of the DUP, the peace process in Northern Ireland and the DUP's links with paramilitary organisations in Northern Ireland.

The DUP have a number of policies that would be considered by most people in the United Kingdom as regressive and divisive. The party has blocked the legalisation of equal marriage in the Northern Ireland Assembly, using the petition of concern mechanism - which was designed to prevent policies that would be damaging to one community in Northern Ireland from being passed by the Assembly, should 30 MLAs from either community ('Unionist' or 'Nationalist') oppose it. The DUP have used this mechanism unilaterally to prevent equality in Northern Ireland for a substantial minority of people who live in the province. They've also prevented abortion laws from extending to the province, through this mechanism. The abuse of the petition of concern, on issues that would give greater equality to the people of Northern Ireland, suggests that they're only a party that cares about their own views, rather than the views of the people they represent. Also, the DUP's policies appear to stem from a brand of ethnic nationalism, which I would hope the Conservative Party opposes.

Additionally, I fear that this agreement between the parties could undermine, or potentially breach, the Good Friday Agreement. It's my understanding that the United Kingdom, and Irish, government shouldn't show favourably towards a community in Northern Ireland, as it could harm the peace process in the province. Given that the DUP framed this election as a referendum on Northern Ireland's place in the United Kingdom, I feel that it would be unwise of the Conservative Party to give any leverage to the DUP in the coming Parliament. The matter is made worse by the increasing likelihood that Northern Ireland will be returning to direct rule due to the failure of the DUP and Sinn Fein to come to a power-sharing agreement in the province. If the DUP's support is required for the Conservatives to remain in power at Westminster, I feel that it will only worsen the sentiments of the republicans in Northern Ireland - as this could lead to what would effectively be DUP direct rule, when they only received a single seat more than Sinn Fein in the Northern Irish election in March - which was held under the Single Transferable Vote system. Given that the constituency results in Northern Ireland in this election appear to mirror the constituency results in the Assembly election, in terms of largest party, it's likely that the political situation in the province hasn't changed much since March.

On top of this, the DUP have links with the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and the Red Hand Commando (RHC). The aforementioned organisations are proscribed groups under the Terrorism Act 2000. I know that the Conservative campaign mentioned the alleged links between Jeremy Corbyn, Gerry Adams and the IRA as a reason not to support the Labour Party. I feel that it would be deplorable for the Conservatives to enter into an agreement with a party that is supported by terrorist organisations themselves, especially after the party made comments regarding Corbyn and the IRA a major campaigning point in this election.

I, personally, feel that this deal is only to allow for Theresa May to push through a deal with the European Union without input from the other parties in the House of Commons. It's concerning that, despite 57% of votes in the election going to parties other that the Conservatives and the DUP, the leadership of the Conservatives are attempting to by-pass the opposition in Parliament to achieve that deal with the EU that they want - rather than a deal that the country, as a whole, wants.

To summarise, I feel that you should oppose the Conservative plan to enter into an agreement with the DUP, as the party pursues regressive policies in Northern Ireland, has links with terrorist organisations and the agreement between the parties could undermine the Good Friday Agreement.

Best regards,"

THE REPLY -

Thank you for your words of congratulations.

I am grateful for your thoughts following the election. You will be aware that the discussions around a loose working arrangement with the Democratic Unionist Party are ongoing so it is not possible for me to give you details. However many of the concerns raised around social and equalities policy are devolved issues and so will not be part of any agreement.

I am happy to reassure you about my commitment towards the LGBT community and equality issues and my firm support for the Paris Climate agreement. There is no desire in the Conservative Party to compromise on the good work done in recent years in these key areas of policy.

Yours sincerely

The Rt Hon Richard Benyon
Member of Parliament for Newbury
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

stuie

Post by stuie » 12 Jun 2017, 20:40

daib0 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 16:14
daib0 wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 13:00
Letter from one of the admins on 'RR' to his newly elected Conservative MP for the Newbury constituency, worth reproducing I feel:

"Hello,

Congratulations on your re-election as the MP for the Newbury constituency. While I didn't personally vote for you, I feel that the most important thing now is that we focus on matters that will affect our constituency and the country.

The reason why I'm contacting you is that I would like to express my concerns about the Conservative Party's decision to seek a confidence and supply agreement with the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).

First of all, I would like to note that I have no concerns about the legitimacy of the Conservative Party to re-enter government with the support of another party. I recognise that the Prime Minister is chosen by the MPs that were elected to Parliament and that a Prime Minister requires the support of the majority of the House of Commons to govern the country. I, additionally, recognise that, once the Speaker, Deputy Speakers and members from Sinn Fein are excluded, the Conservatives and the DUP hold a majority of Parliamentary seats.

My main concerns, in this case, drive from the policies of the DUP, the peace process in Northern Ireland and the DUP's links with paramilitary organisations in Northern Ireland.

The DUP have a number of policies that would be considered by most people in the United Kingdom as regressive and divisive. The party has blocked the legalisation of equal marriage in the Northern Ireland Assembly, using the petition of concern mechanism - which was designed to prevent policies that would be damaging to one community in Northern Ireland from being passed by the Assembly, should 30 MLAs from either community ('Unionist' or 'Nationalist') oppose it. The DUP have used this mechanism unilaterally to prevent equality in Northern Ireland for a substantial minority of people who live in the province. They've also prevented abortion laws from extending to the province, through this mechanism. The abuse of the petition of concern, on issues that would give greater equality to the people of Northern Ireland, suggests that they're only a party that cares about their own views, rather than the views of the people they represent. Also, the DUP's policies appear to stem from a brand of ethnic nationalism, which I would hope the Conservative Party opposes.

Additionally, I fear that this agreement between the parties could undermine, or potentially breach, the Good Friday Agreement. It's my understanding that the United Kingdom, and Irish, government shouldn't show favourably towards a community in Northern Ireland, as it could harm the peace process in the province. Given that the DUP framed this election as a referendum on Northern Ireland's place in the United Kingdom, I feel that it would be unwise of the Conservative Party to give any leverage to the DUP in the coming Parliament. The matter is made worse by the increasing likelihood that Northern Ireland will be returning to direct rule due to the failure of the DUP and Sinn Fein to come to a power-sharing agreement in the province. If the DUP's support is required for the Conservatives to remain in power at Westminster, I feel that it will only worsen the sentiments of the republicans in Northern Ireland - as this could lead to what would effectively be DUP direct rule, when they only received a single seat more than Sinn Fein in the Northern Irish election in March - which was held under the Single Transferable Vote system. Given that the constituency results in Northern Ireland in this election appear to mirror the constituency results in the Assembly election, in terms of largest party, it's likely that the political situation in the province hasn't changed much since March.

On top of this, the DUP have links with the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and the Red Hand Commando (RHC). The aforementioned organisations are proscribed groups under the Terrorism Act 2000. I know that the Conservative campaign mentioned the alleged links between Jeremy Corbyn, Gerry Adams and the IRA as a reason not to support the Labour Party. I feel that it would be deplorable for the Conservatives to enter into an agreement with a party that is supported by terrorist organisations themselves, especially after the party made comments regarding Corbyn and the IRA a major campaigning point in this election.

I, personally, feel that this deal is only to allow for Theresa May to push through a deal with the European Union without input from the other parties in the House of Commons. It's concerning that, despite 57% of votes in the election going to parties other that the Conservatives and the DUP, the leadership of the Conservatives are attempting to by-pass the opposition in Parliament to achieve that deal with the EU that they want - rather than a deal that the country, as a whole, wants.

To summarise, I feel that you should oppose the Conservative plan to enter into an agreement with the DUP, as the party pursues regressive policies in Northern Ireland, has links with terrorist organisations and the agreement between the parties could undermine the Good Friday Agreement.

Best regards,"

THE REPLY -

Thank you for your words of congratulations.

I am grateful for your thoughts following the election. You will be aware that the discussions around a loose working arrangement with the Democratic Unionist Party are ongoing so it is not possible for me to give you details. However many of the concerns raised around social and equalities policy are devolved issues and so will not be part of any agreement.

I am happy to reassure you about my commitment towards the LGBT community and equality issues and my firm support for the Paris Climate agreement. There is no desire in the Conservative Party to compromise on the good work done in recent years in these key areas of policy.

Yours sincerely

The Rt Hon Richard Benyon
Member of Parliament for Newbury
no reply from my MP yet. the reply you posted was more or less what the Tories have said on tv today

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 15 Jun 2017, 20:08

Considering the outrage over Theresa May trying to strike a deal with the DUP, how does everyone react to Corbyn planning to meet Gerry Adams?

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 15 Jun 2017, 20:13

Is not the weak and wobbly meeting with Gerry Adams?

If not why not?

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 16 Jun 2017, 15:50

trevormans wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 20:13

If not why not?
Well, you criticise May for wanting to meet an Irish politician with links to terrorism (Arlene Foster), so you suggest she meets...... Gerry Adams.Yeeeeeeeesh.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 16 Jun 2017, 20:18

DaveLister wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 15:50
trevormans wrote:

If not why not?
Well, you criticise May for wanting to meet an Irish politician with links to terrorism (Arlene Foster), so you suggest she meets...... Gerry Adams.Yeeeeeeeesh.
As ever not correct!
Never once would I or have I criticised my prime minister for speaking to major figures within the U.K. Emphatically and without equivocation, I would criticise them for not doing so

However, I would always criticise my prime minister and her party for the utter hypocrisy of trying to vilify the Labour Party for their contacts with a party for their links with Irish terrorism when she herself has sucked up to the dup with its links to Irish terrorism , purely in order to hang on to power not for the good of the country but purely to hang on to power . All this without any serious consideration of the effects on the peace process .To entertain the idea of not speaking to all parties when major Blair brown and Cameron have all done so bleats sheepishly of right wing press dog whistles. Sinn fein has been the co lead party within both Ulster and Northern Ireland for over twenty years!
The fact that the tories tried to humiliate the leader of the liberals for his deeply held beliefs yet cannot see the hypocrisy when they are sucking up to the dups with its patent anti homosexuality and yet so much more, just shows how rotten are their thinking within the Tory party

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 Jun 2017, 20:44

trevormans wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 20:18
purely in order to hang on to power not for the good of the country but purely to hang on to power . just shows how rotten are their thinking within the Tory party
I'm sorry but you are now truly talking out of your anal orifice. Of course it's for the good of the nation if it stops Labour ever coming to power again. If there is anything wrong with the thinking of anyone it is you and all your lefty clap trap. You lost the election get over yourself and stop blaming the media. It is the failure of a credible alternative to Conservatism.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 16 Jun 2017, 21:26

I'm convinced Trevormans is either Jeremy Corbyn or Tony Blair. Possibly Ken Livingstone.

stuie

Post by stuie » 16 Jun 2017, 22:49

trevormans wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 20:18
DaveLister wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 15:50
trevormans wrote:

If not why not?
As ever not correct!
Never once would I or have I criticised my prime minister for speaking to major figures within the U.K. Emphatically and without equivocation, I would criticise them for not doing so

However, I would always criticise my prime minister and her party for the utter hypocrisy of trying to vilify the Labour Party for their contacts with a party for their links with Irish terrorism when she herself has sucked up to the dup with its links to Irish terrorism , purely in order to hang on to power not for the good of the country but purely to hang on to power . All this without any serious consideration of the effects on the peace process .To entertain the idea of not speaking to all parties when major Blair brown and Cameron have all done so bleats sheepishly of right wing press dog whistles. Sinn fein has been the co lead party within both Ulster and Northern Ireland for over twenty years!
The fact that the tories tried to humiliate the leader of the liberals for his deeply held beliefs yet cannot see the hypocrisy when they are sucking up to the dups with its patent anti homosexuality and yet so much more, just shows how rotten are their thinking within the Tory party
right post right forum

As A Tory, I have written to several people, including my mp, everybody has replied bar my Tory mp

I will not support the Tories in an agreement with the DUP bigots