Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

Post Reply
bungie
Posts: 37
Joined: 16 Mar 2017, 22:56

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bungie » 14 May 2017, 19:37

trevormans wrote:we seem to have a choice between the barely credible or the barely competent. if the only serious reason we have for voting for one rather than the other is "we're krap but not as krap as the others " then it seems to me that we are for a rough time , as we try to pick up the crumbs from the mess that is brexit, where we seem to have bought a ticket but nobody knows where we are going or even where we want to get to.

there is no evidence that we have had a strong and stable government at any time in the past two (I would say nine) , yet the dog whistle politics of the day are that too many in the shallow end believe that what is repeated a dozen or a hundred times is in fact the truth. corbyn has shown no sign of credibility in the past two years and may has shown no sign of competence in the past seven years. "no ifs and no buts". it is not a beauty contest.
You say a lot, but tell us nothing, who are you voting for?

trevormans
Posts: 144
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 14 May 2017, 20:28

by those criteria I would be well suited on this website. You , however tell even less.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 25954
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 14 May 2017, 21:15

A bit like a Monty Python sketch. What have the Romans ever done for us.
Me: When I was younger I was given a choice, a long penis or a good memory.
Hot Lady: Which one did you choose?
Me: I can’t remember!

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 15599
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by DaveLister » 17 May 2017, 18:19

bungie wrote:
trevormans wrote:we seem to have a choice between the barely credible or the barely competent. if the only serious reason we have for voting for one rather than the other is "we're krap but not as krap as the others " then it seems to me that we are for a rough time , as we try to pick up the crumbs from the mess that is brexit, where we seem to have bought a ticket but nobody knows where we are going or even where we want to get to.

there is no evidence that we have had a strong and stable government at any time in the past two (I would say nine) , yet the dog whistle politics of the day are that too many in the shallow end believe that what is repeated a dozen or a hundred times is in fact the truth. corbyn has shown no sign of credibility in the past two years and may has shown no sign of competence in the past seven years. "no ifs and no buts". it is not a beauty contest.
You say a lot, but tell us nothing, who are you voting for?
To be fair to trevormans, we've got to decide who is least crooked before we vote for anyone.

Its a bit like voting for Bruce Reynolds instead of Ronnie Biggs.
Image

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1654
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by White G » 17 May 2017, 20:22

Can't see anything wrong with Labour's manifesto on first glance. Defo better than what we've seen from our "strong and stable" leader. Unless you're both loaded & selfish, I couldn't think of one possible reason to vote Tory. The only thing you ever hear even from the Tory voters is that they're less bad than the others!

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 15599
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by DaveLister » 17 May 2017, 21:16

bristleposh wrote:A bit like a Monty Python sketch. What have the Romans ever done for us.
Aquaduct?
Image

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 25954
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 17 May 2017, 21:53

White G wrote:Can't see anything wrong with Labour's manifesto on first glance. Defo better than what we've seen from our "strong and stable" leader. Unless you're both loaded & selfish, I couldn't think of one possible reason to vote Tory. The only thing you ever hear even from the Tory voters is that they're less bad than the others!
Did you get beyond basic sums at skool. The Labour manifesto is a joke, they have absolutely no idea where the money is going to come from to put any of their ill thought out ideas into fruition.
Me: When I was younger I was given a choice, a long penis or a good memory.
Hot Lady: Which one did you choose?
Me: I can’t remember!

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 8837
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by Brianposh » 17 May 2017, 22:20

White G wrote:Can't see anything wrong with Labour's manifesto on first glance. Defo better than what we've seen from our "strong and stable" leader. Unless you're both loaded & selfish, I couldn't think of one possible reason to vote Tory. The only thing you ever hear even from the Tory voters is that they're less bad than the others!
It is just a comic. Means nothing.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1654
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by White G » 17 May 2017, 22:56

FB_IMG_1495057163548.jpg
FB_IMG_1495057163548.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Given the Tories record above, we can either sleepwalk into the abyss or take a chance. If you're happy with the inequality, poverty, housing crisis, disastrous international policies, destruction of the NHS etc, then vote Tory. Still not had a reason against the Labour manifesto other than the usual mumblings taken from the right-wing media which we have. It's amazing how so many older people especially don't understand that the Establishment are manipulating the masses. They tell us to blame immigrants, unemployed etc when the stats prove that the bankers and billionaire tax dodgers do far, far more damage. The sad thing is most people in particular seem to weak to stand up and question the different laws for the rich who control the system, and the rest.

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 15599
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by DaveLister » 17 May 2017, 23:00

bristleposh wrote:
White G wrote:Can't see anything wrong with Labour's manifesto on first glance. Defo better than what we've seen from our "strong and stable" leader. Unless you're both loaded & selfish, I couldn't think of one possible reason to vote Tory. The only thing you ever hear even from the Tory voters is that they're less bad than the others!
Did you get beyond basic sums at skool. The Labour manifesto is a joke, they have absolutely no idea where the money is going to come from to put any of their ill thought out ideas into fruition.
I had a chuckle at the Liberal manifesto today. It includes another referendum on Brexit- whether to accept the deal brokered with the EU on the exit from Europe. If we vote not to accept it, then the Liberal Party will push for us to remain, despite the fact we voted to leave!!!

As for Labour, i just chuckle.
Image

trevormans
Posts: 144
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 18 May 2017, 00:22

I had a chuckle at the Tory strategy today. It includes another election on Brexit- despite the fact there is already a mandate. No need for an endorsement, it is there already. There is no mandate to leave the single market.
The strong and stable leader who swithered from remain to leave, the strong and stable leader who said no ifs no buts, immigration down below 100k, the strong and stable leader who said no election till 2020 and swithered again. The strong and stable leader who does not accept questions, debates or even let her cabinet members on the campaign trail. Utter incompetence faced against utter incredibility.
We have voted to buy a ticket to leave, nothing more. if the strong and stable leader does not know where she is taking us, why should she not say to the people after 2 years, "sorry chaps this place I can get you to. It is jolly crap but its the best I can do, why don't we just stay where we are and have a nice cup of tea".
This is the most momentous decision for 60 years, why should she not display her negotiated achievement and put it to the people for a vote. if its as good as is made out it will certainly be a shoe -in. That will then put paid to any remoaning. and we will then genuinely all be in it together, a country united, "praecipue in faecam "
Muammar Gadaffi brought strong and stable leadership. Saddam Hussein brought strong and stable leadership. Purely because it is a dog whistle for the simple folk , "strong and stable" is not a panacea, any more than the "take back control" was for the simple minded brexiteers. But they lapped it up.

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 15599
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by DaveLister » 18 May 2017, 01:01

trevormans wrote:I had a chuckle at the Tory strategy today. It includes another election on Brexit- despite the fact there is already a mandate. No need for an endorsement, it is there already. There is no mandate to leave the single market.
The strong and stable leader who swithered from remain to leave, the strong and stable leader who said no ifs no buts, immigration down below 100k, the strong and stable leader who said no election till 2020 and swithered again. The strong and stable leader who does not accept questions, debates or even let her cabinet members on the campaign trail. Utter incompetence faced against utter incredibility.
We have voted to buy a ticket to leave, nothing more. if the strong and stable leader does not know where she is taking us, why should she not say to the people after 2 years, "sorry chaps this place I can get you to. It is jolly crap but its the best I can do, why don't we just stay where we are and have a nice cup of tea".
This is the most momentous decision for 60 years, why should she not display her negotiated achievement and put it to the people for a vote. if its as good as is made out it will certainly be a shoe -in. That will then put paid to any remoaning. and we will then genuinely all be in it together, a country united, "praecipue in faecam "
Muammar Gadaffi brought strong and stable leadership. Saddam Hussein brought strong and stable leadership. Purely because it is a dog whistle for the simple folk , "strong and stable" is not a panacea, any more than the "take back control" was for the simple minded brexiteers. But they lapped it up.
As i said, voting Tory instead of voting Labour is a bit like voting for Bruce Reynolds instead of Ronnie Biggs.
Image

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 25954
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 18 May 2017, 07:29

DaveLister wrote:
trevormans wrote:I had a chuckle at the Tory strategy today. It includes another election on Brexit- despite the fact there is already a mandate. No need for an endorsement, it is there already. There is no mandate to leave the single market.
The strong and stable leader who swithered from remain to leave, the strong and stable leader who said no ifs no buts, immigration down below 100k, the strong and stable leader who said no election till 2020 and swithered again. The strong and stable leader who does not accept questions, debates or even let her cabinet members on the campaign trail. Utter incompetence faced against utter incredibility.
We have voted to buy a ticket to leave, nothing more. if the strong and stable leader does not know where she is taking us, why should she not say to the people after 2 years, "sorry chaps this place I can get you to. It is jolly crap but its the best I can do, why don't we just stay where we are and have a nice cup of tea".
This is the most momentous decision for 60 years, why should she not display her negotiated achievement and put it to the people for a vote. if its as good as is made out it will certainly be a shoe -in. That will then put paid to any remoaning. and we will then genuinely all be in it together, a country united, "praecipue in faecam "
Muammar Gadaffi brought strong and stable leadership. Saddam Hussein brought strong and stable leadership. Purely because it is a dog whistle for the simple folk , "strong and stable" is not a panacea, any more than the "take back control" was for the simple minded brexiteers. But they lapped it up.
As i said, voting Tory instead of voting Labour is a bit like voting for Bruce Reynolds instead of Ronnie Biggs.
He wouldn't have read it before if it's not straight out of Chairman Mao's little red book of Latin quotes, he's not interested. I assume by the things he says and quotes he makes he obviously went to one of these mind bending schools they call university. Hot beds for left wing rhetoric. The one thing he doesn't say with all his rants against TM is what an alternative plan is under any of the other leaders.
He uses Gaddafi and Hussain as examples of likenesses to May, shows off by showing he knows their first names (or more likely Google's them) and can't even do one of them the credit of spelling his name correctly. I'm surprised he didn't use Adolf Hitler as an example. All the talk of a caring society, going for the throat of pensioners and trading them off against the disabled. Bringing into question the record of the Tories on the economy whilst forgetting to factor in the ever increasing population, caused, not only by the ageing populace, but also by the influx of people from all over the globe.
Always accusations aimed at "right wing media" perhaps they are right, not everything you read in the papers is true, equally not all the nonsense spouted by lefty lecturers is true.
Me: When I was younger I was given a choice, a long penis or a good memory.
Hot Lady: Which one did you choose?
Me: I can’t remember!

trevormans
Posts: 144
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 18 May 2017, 11:02

that is below pathetic.
Of course I did read a quote talking of the choice (or lack of it) between one crook or another crook. There was no need to refer to it as it supported my argument that the choice is no choice between the proven incompetent person against the proven uncredible person. Most people nowadays go to University. You even boasted recently that you had , but lacked the application to complete the course. I believe that almost all of my teachers were far away from being “lefties”. Most of the current government went to these alleged “hotbeds”. For what its worth I went to the same school as , and was friendly with, the very right wing journalist Richard Littlejohn of Daily Mail fame, yet we have come out of that with substantially different views. I did not know that Mao quoted latin. You may perhaps have missed the humour of the three latin words, but as you have so consistently missed the point I am not surprised. The dog whistle is more memorable, you should stick to it and the soundbites .I have not sought to rant against the blessed Theresa, although I have pointed out, in the spirit of balance, some of Theresas switherings and how they are not in truth ,“strong and stable”. They are just the opposite. I am delighted that you know how arabic script transliterates into western script. There is a general lack of consistency which is why there are so many alternative spellings from Arabic , and in any event I have no wish to do either of them ( strong and stable autocrats as they were) “credit” .As ever you are wrong, in that at no stage have I forgotten to factor in the increased population, which is why I have regularly quoted per capita rather than absolute expenditures. I am happy to challenge the record of any government , not least this one which has boasted more than enough of the non-existent “long term economic plan”. That the Labour party have not been able to put forward a cohesive opposition over the last seven years, shows just how uncredible they are at present. I have demonstrated that the government has consistently taken away welfare for those who need it, but given benefit to those less in need. Implicit with that is that I would wish the welfare to be reintroduced. I accept your words that accusations against the right wing media are perhaps right.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 25954
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 18 May 2017, 11:29

1 out of ten ain't bad, i'll take that
Me: When I was younger I was given a choice, a long penis or a good memory.
Hot Lady: Which one did you choose?
Me: I can’t remember!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest