Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 04 Dec 2017, 21:05

I saw in the Metro today than the Shiite was about to hit the van. Why the fuss over Ireland apparently less than 5% of trade comes across that particular border, it may be as low as 2% but as I can't remember I'll go for the more conservative guesstimate
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

White G

Post by White G » 17 Mar 2018, 21:43

I find it amazing that the Tories and their media friends seem to have turned this Russia situation to their advantage. The Tories refusal to face up to the Russian problems due to Oligarchs pumping money into their pockets is disgusting. To vote down actions that Corbyn has pushed for, then call him a Russian sympathiser is ridiculous. Even sadder is that our own BBC is letting this happen & beingthe establishment's puppet. And we think Russia Today is full of propaganda?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 18 Mar 2018, 00:05

I take it you watched the newsnight propaganda in support of the indefensible. Corbyn is a complete and utter kn0b and the sooner Labour despatches with the commie sympathiser the more chance we'll have of a credible opposition.

stuie

Post by stuie » 18 Mar 2018, 10:39

I am no fan of Corbyn, but on the Russia situation, he holds the right position

Let the detectives do the work, before blaming one individual

In a criminal court you need, beyond reasonable doubt, or in a civil court, the balance of probability, at least the burden of proof need to reach one of these levels, before a finger is pointed (and yes I think, it is to do with Russia)
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

White G

Post by White G » 18 Mar 2018, 16:04

bristleposh wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 00:05
I take it you watched the newsnight propaganda in support of the indefensible. Corbyn is a complete and utter kn0b and the sooner Labour despatches with the commie sympathiser the more chance we'll have of a credible opposition.
Corbyn has actually tried to stop the flow of dirty Russian money, but was overruled by the Tories who preferred to turn a blind eye as these very same people fund their party. I didn't watch Newsnight but seen the BBC photoshopping a picture of him, portraying him as a Russian sympathiser. Forget the people who are actually taking money off them and helping protect their financial interests, blame Jeremy instead!

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 18 Mar 2018, 17:57

my problem with Corbyn is not his politics with which I disagree profoundly , (but which have been pretty consistent for the last forty years,) but rather that ever since he became leader he has behaved like a backbencher with no sense of responsibility, towards the bigger picture. He should surely have told his parliamentary colleagues before he asked his questions ,what line he was going to be taking on behalf of the Labour party, so that at least the line could have been debated. He could then have been seen to be giving a clear lead to his party. Instead he looked and sounded like a maverick. And the reaction of his bemused colleagues showed this. Though I believe he is right to require unequivocal proof of Russia's direct involvement , he has substantially undermined his own credibility and gravitas. (Disastrously he has behaved similarly over Brexit).
The Tories for their part should absolutely be on the back foot, not least with clowns like Johnson and Williamson speaking schoolboy jingoism, and then with the government having only called the International assessment body in some ten days after the event. Giving the Russians a deadline of 24 hours "or else we will know you did it" is akin to the thinking of the ducking stool in medieval times. If you don't show you are innocent then that is proof you are guilty. We must be seen to be better than that if we want to keep the higher moral ground
That the Tories are substantially funded by russian (and other) emigres ought long ago to have been a substantial cause for concern, as is the massive money laundering which among other things is massively distorting our housing market , but this should be separated from the real and cogent immediate issue which is an act of utterly amoral terrorism being perpetrated on our sovereign country, against the tenets of almost all treaties and agreements of the last hundred years. We should be seen to be getting this right in all respects, and so far I have not been properly convinced by either the Tories nor Labour. A B-minus for both , with a "see me " for Mr Corbyn

stuie

Post by stuie » 18 Mar 2018, 19:57

trevormans wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 17:57
my problem with Corbyn is not his politics with which I disagree profoundly , (but which have been pretty consistent for the last forty years,) but rather that ever since he became leader he has behaved like a backbencher with no sense of responsibility, towards the bigger picture. He should surely have told his parliamentary colleagues before he asked his questions ,what line he was going to be taking on behalf of the Labour party, so that at least the line could have been debated. He could then have been seen to be giving a clear lead to his party. Instead he looked and sounded like a maverick. And the reaction of his bemused colleagues showed this. Though I believe he is right to require unequivocal proof of Russia's direct involvement , he has substantially undermined his own credibility and gravitas. (Disastrously he has behaved similarly over Brexit).
The Tories for their part should absolutely be on the back foot, not least with clowns like Johnson and Williamson speaking schoolboy jingoism, and then with the government having only called the International assessment body in some ten days after the event. Giving the Russians a deadline of 24 hours "or else we will know you did it" is akin to the thinking of the ducking stool in medieval times. If you don't show you are innocent then that is proof you are guilty. We must be seen to be better than that if we want to keep the higher moral ground
That the Tories are substantially funded by russian (and other) emigres ought long ago to have been a substantial cause for concern, as is the massive money laundering which among other things is massively distorting our housing market , but this should be separated from the real and cogent immediate issue which is an act of utterly amoral terrorism being perpetrated on our sovereign country, against the tenets of almost all treaties and agreements of the last hundred years. We should be seen to be getting this right in all respects, and so far I have not been properly convinced by either the Tories nor Labour. A B-minus for both , with a "see me " for Mr Corbyn
fair point

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 30 Apr 2018, 09:32

After this weeks mess how can we trust any of them to secure a good future after Brexit

The labour front bench are no less clueless

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 30 Apr 2018, 10:08

trevormans wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 09:32
After this weeks mess how can we trust any of them to secure a good future after Brexit

The labour front bench are no less clueless
far be it for me to pick up on your use of the English language but rather than no less, shouldn't that be a damn site more :D

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 30 Apr 2018, 13:38

I think, for once, we are mostly in agreement, although I might have spelt it "sight"

my use of litotes was there for emphatic use, as I do not hold Corbyn's front bench in the highest of regard

https://literarydevices.net/litotes/

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 28 May 2018, 16:59

We now have the utter utter nonsense of Mrs May saying that it is for the Northern Ireland parliament in Stormont to decide whether or not to fall into line with the rest of the UK on abortion.
Of course , being strong and stable, and clueless, she forgets that there has not been any active Northern Ireland parliament for the past 18 months, and that the rule in Ulster is being managed from her own government in Westminster!!
However we cannot upset the DUP, as they are her sole lifeline. When asked about Brexit, the DUP refer to ” the will of the people” (37% of the electorate voted for Brexit) , whilst refusing to have a referendum on abortion (claiming “a representative democracy”), the” will of the people” cannot be sought. Perhaps this is what is called taking back control when a cabal of 12 neanderthals hold the country to ransom??

These same Neanderthals demand that they be treated under the same laws as the rest of the UK (ie to prevent the Customs agreement) , yet when it comes to abortion, to homosexuality, to equal rights they dig their heels in
Meanwhile in this Alice in Wonderland stuff, Sinn Fein refuse to take up their seats in Westminster,(seats which would come close to cancelling out the DUP) on a matter of principle.
Brexit is already costing each of us several hundred pounds (I guess conservatively at £300 per average household per annum on food alone) because of the devaluation of the pound following the referendum. The outflows of cash have barely begun to start yet. The lack of inflows from inward investment is now starting to hit hard. The pathetic claim of £350 million a week for the NHS will never come as a Brexit dividend
Too many were taken in by such round objects
Labour should be twenty points ahead but....
Corbyn remains utterly clueless, May is scared out of her wits to make a decision

My old school chum Richard Littlejohn, would say “you couldn’t make it up”

stuie

Post by stuie » 29 May 2018, 18:49

trevormans wrote:
28 May 2018, 16:59
We now have the utter utter nonsense of Mrs May saying that it is for the Northern Ireland parliament in Stormont to decide whether or not to fall into line with the rest of the UK on abortion.
Of course , being strong and stable, and clueless, she forgets that there has not been any active Northern Ireland parliament for the past 18 months, and that the rule in Ulster is being managed from her own government in Westminster!!
However we cannot upset the DUP, as they are her sole lifeline. When asked about Brexit, the DUP refer to ” the will of the people” (37% of the electorate voted for Brexit) , whilst refusing to have a referendum on abortion (claiming “a representative democracy”), the” will of the people” cannot be sought. Perhaps this is what is called taking back control when a cabal of 12 neanderthals hold the country to ransom??

These same Neanderthals demand that they be treated under the same laws as the rest of the UK (ie to prevent the Customs agreement) , yet when it comes to abortion, to homosexuality, to equal rights they dig their heels in
Meanwhile in this Alice in Wonderland stuff, Sinn Fein refuse to take up their seats in Westminster,(seats which would come close to cancelling out the DUP) on a matter of principle.
Brexit is already costing each of us several hundred pounds (I guess conservatively at £300 per average household per annum on food alone) because of the devaluation of the pound following the referendum. The outflows of cash have barely begun to start yet. The lack of inflows from inward investment is now starting to hit hard. The pathetic claim of £350 million a week for the NHS will never come as a Brexit dividend
Corbyn remains utterly clueless, May is scared out of her wits to make a decision

gpwm

john316z

Post by john316z » 01 Jun 2018, 18:50

trevormans wrote:
28 May 2018, 16:59

A lot of truth there trevor. Sadly Sinn fein are sticking to their guns (oops freudian slip!) and being consistent in not taking their seats. Labour are too busy trying to defeat the red tories (non-existent body but an excuse for another defeat) to focus on the real issues and May's utter incompetence

Brexit is an utter face voted who mainly young an old (but less so middle aged) on the promise of keeping out the latest victims of British mentality of blaiming someone else (Europeans) and the promise of money that didn't exist

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 01 Jun 2018, 23:04

33432968_10213925214019481_6850477411260170240_n.jpg
33432968_10213925214019481_6850477411260170240_n.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 215 times

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 02 Jun 2018, 15:48

Ms Abbott has served for over 30 years as a fully average mp and certainly when you hear clowns like fox and grayling who continually demonstrate their utter incompetence and yet are in the cabinet , plus the deficients in the DUP who are keeping the government in power, then she stands as well above average

However that she is the shadow Home Secretary with apparently no serious grasp on her brief merely shows that Corbyn is not a serious political leader and makes one realise that they are incapable of managing the country. So too however is terry mays lot

If you choose to single her out for her deficiencies then I feel that the other idiots failing grayling , fox up , Davis,Williamson etc etc should also be exposed