Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

stuie

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by stuie » 09 Jun 2017, 12:42

White G wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 10:55
Jokes aside, a hung parliament is probably a much better idea than having a dictatorship hell-bent on looking after their own interests. Hopefully a rational approach can be adopted and everyone keeps each other in check!
Lets hope so, it is what it is
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

White G

Post by White G » 09 Jun 2017, 14:26

bristleposh wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 11:19
White G wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 10:55
Jokes aside, a hung parliament is probably a much better idea than having a dictatorship hell-bent on looking after their own interests. Hopefully a rational approach can be adopted and everyone keeps each other in check!
That Scottish lot of your did brilliantly how's the referendum coming along. Salmon and Sturgeon like two fish out of water.
SNP won easily, taking 35 of the 56 seats. Many staunch Unionists backed the Tories simply to stop another referendum. Silly though, as if Labour came to power the independence case would disappear. The thought of endless Tory governments drive people for independence, maybe Corbyn can help heal the divide.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jun 2017, 16:05

https://hashtagbay.com/wp-content/uploads/product/40593/58f7f1702485b.png

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 09 Jun 2017, 16:12

Read this morning that the DUP will support the Conservatives, if only to keep Corbyn out of No 10.

In the words of a party spokesman " Labour won't win an election as long as the leader is an IRA cheerleader".

White G

Post by White G » 09 Jun 2017, 19:45

DaveLister wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 16:12
Read this morning that the DUP will support the Conservatives, if only to keep Corbyn out of No 10.

In the words of a party spokesman " Labour won't win an election as long as the leader is an IRA cheerleader".
Attachments
Martin-McGuiness-and-Theresa-May-687283.jpg
Martin-McGuiness-and-Theresa-May-687283.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 614 times

daib0

Post by daib0 » 09 Jun 2017, 23:03

I'm sorry, but I just see a totally divided country - not only right and left wing, not the nationalism of countries/regions with 'national' unity, not only the Brexit vote, so marginal as to hardly have validity, but the entire political system.... no proportional representation in any form, any largest-voted party will do any dirty work just to gain/maintain power. Where did the real political convictions go??!
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 10 Jun 2017, 03:16

White G wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 19:45
DaveLister wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 16:12

You know, Neville Chamberlain once met Hitler for talks. That didn't make him a Nazi.

How manu IRA funerals has Theresa May attended?

stuie

Post by stuie » 10 Jun 2017, 10:35

Well, I for one never saw that the coalition of chaos would be Tory and DUP

This is very concerning

Really hoping that this election result give us a softer brexit

White G

Post by White G » 10 Jun 2017, 11:32

After all the abuse Corbyn gets, the Tories team up with a backward, stone age party with terrorist links! You honestly can't make it up. As I predicted a while back, May is completely unfit for the job. Her own party will dispose of her shortly I'm sure!

stuie

Post by stuie » 10 Jun 2017, 12:49

White G wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 11:32
The Tories team up with a backward, stone age party with terrorist links! You honestly can't make it up. Her own party will dispose of her!
:stupid:

daib0

Post by daib0 » 10 Jun 2017, 13:00

Letter from one of the admins on 'RR' to his newly elected Conservative MP for the Newbury constituency, worth reproducing I feel:

"Hello,

Congratulations on your re-election as the MP for the Newbury constituency. While I didn't personally vote for you, I feel that the most important thing now is that we focus on matters that will affect our constituency and the country.

The reason why I'm contacting you is that I would like to express my concerns about the Conservative Party's decision to seek a confidence and supply agreement with the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).

First of all, I would like to note that I have no concerns about the legitimacy of the Conservative Party to re-enter government with the support of another party. I recognise that the Prime Minister is chosen by the MPs that were elected to Parliament and that a Prime Minister requires the support of the majority of the House of Commons to govern the country. I, additionally, recognise that, once the Speaker, Deputy Speakers and members from Sinn Fein are excluded, the Conservatives and the DUP hold a majority of Parliamentary seats.

My main concerns, in this case, drive from the policies of the DUP, the peace process in Northern Ireland and the DUP's links with paramilitary organisations in Northern Ireland.

The DUP have a number of policies that would be considered by most people in the United Kingdom as regressive and divisive. The party has blocked the legalisation of equal marriage in the Northern Ireland Assembly, using the petition of concern mechanism - which was designed to prevent policies that would be damaging to one community in Northern Ireland from being passed by the Assembly, should 30 MLAs from either community ('Unionist' or 'Nationalist') oppose it. The DUP have used this mechanism unilaterally to prevent equality in Northern Ireland for a substantial minority of people who live in the province. They've also prevented abortion laws from extending to the province, through this mechanism. The abuse of the petition of concern, on issues that would give greater equality to the people of Northern Ireland, suggests that they're only a party that cares about their own views, rather than the views of the people they represent. Also, the DUP's policies appear to stem from a brand of ethnic nationalism, which I would hope the Conservative Party opposes.

Additionally, I fear that this agreement between the parties could undermine, or potentially breach, the Good Friday Agreement. It's my understanding that the United Kingdom, and Irish, government shouldn't show favourably towards a community in Northern Ireland, as it could harm the peace process in the province. Given that the DUP framed this election as a referendum on Northern Ireland's place in the United Kingdom, I feel that it would be unwise of the Conservative Party to give any leverage to the DUP in the coming Parliament. The matter is made worse by the increasing likelihood that Northern Ireland will be returning to direct rule due to the failure of the DUP and Sinn Fein to come to a power-sharing agreement in the province. If the DUP's support is required for the Conservatives to remain in power at Westminster, I feel that it will only worsen the sentiments of the republicans in Northern Ireland - as this could lead to what would effectively be DUP direct rule, when they only received a single seat more than Sinn Fein in the Northern Irish election in March - which was held under the Single Transferable Vote system. Given that the constituency results in Northern Ireland in this election appear to mirror the constituency results in the Assembly election, in terms of largest party, it's likely that the political situation in the province hasn't changed much since March.

On top of this, the DUP have links with the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and the Red Hand Commando (RHC). The aforementioned organisations are proscribed groups under the Terrorism Act 2000. I know that the Conservative campaign mentioned the alleged links between Jeremy Corbyn, Gerry Adams and the IRA as a reason not to support the Labour Party. I feel that it would be deplorable for the Conservatives to enter into an agreement with a party that is supported by terrorist organisations themselves, especially after the party made comments regarding Corbyn and the IRA a major campaigning point in this election.

I, personally, feel that this deal is only to allow for Theresa May to push through a deal with the European Union without input from the other parties in the House of Commons. It's concerning that, despite 57% of votes in the election going to parties other that the Conservatives and the DUP, the leadership of the Conservatives are attempting to by-pass the opposition in Parliament to achieve that deal with the EU that they want - rather than a deal that the country, as a whole, wants.

To summarise, I feel that you should oppose the Conservative plan to enter into an agreement with the DUP, as the party pursues regressive policies in Northern Ireland, has links with terrorist organisations and the agreement between the parties could undermine the Good Friday Agreement.

Best regards,"
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

stuie

Post by stuie » 10 Jun 2017, 13:10

daib0 wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 13:00
Letter from one of the admins on 'RR' to his newly elected Conservative MP for the Newbury constituency, worth reproducing I feel:

"Hello,

Congratulations on your re-election as the MP for the Newbury constituency. While I didn't personally vote for you, I feel that the most important thing now is that we focus on matters that will affect our constituency and the country.

The reason why I'm contacting you is that I would like to express my concerns about the Conservative Party's decision to seek a confidence and supply agreement with the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).

First of all, I would like to note that I have no concerns about the legitimacy of the Conservative Party to re-enter government with the support of another party. I recognise that the Prime Minister is chosen by the MPs that were elected to Parliament and that a Prime Minister requires the support of the majority of the House of Commons to govern the country. I, additionally, recognise that, once the Speaker, Deputy Speakers and members from Sinn Fein are excluded, the Conservatives and the DUP hold a majority of Parliamentary seats.

My main concerns, in this case, drive from the policies of the DUP, the peace process in Northern Ireland and the DUP's links with paramilitary organisations in Northern Ireland.

The DUP have a number of policies that would be considered by most people in the United Kingdom as regressive and divisive. The party has blocked the legalisation of equal marriage in the Northern Ireland Assembly, using the petition of concern mechanism - which was designed to prevent policies that would be damaging to one community in Northern Ireland from being passed by the Assembly, should 30 MLAs from either community ('Unionist' or 'Nationalist') oppose it. The DUP have used this mechanism unilaterally to prevent equality in Northern Ireland for a substantial minority of people who live in the province. They've also prevented abortion laws from extending to the province, through this mechanism. The abuse of the petition of concern, on issues that would give greater equality to the people of Northern Ireland, suggests that they're only a party that cares about their own views, rather than the views of the people they represent. Also, the DUP's policies appear to stem from a brand of ethnic nationalism, which I would hope the Conservative Party opposes.

Additionally, I fear that this agreement between the parties could undermine, or potentially breach, the Good Friday Agreement. It's my understanding that the United Kingdom, and Irish, government shouldn't show favourably towards a community in Northern Ireland, as it could harm the peace process in the province. Given that the DUP framed this election as a referendum on Northern Ireland's place in the United Kingdom, I feel that it would be unwise of the Conservative Party to give any leverage to the DUP in the coming Parliament. The matter is made worse by the increasing likelihood that Northern Ireland will be returning to direct rule due to the failure of the DUP and Sinn Fein to come to a power-sharing agreement in the province. If the DUP's support is required for the Conservatives to remain in power at Westminster, I feel that it will only worsen the sentiments of the republicans in Northern Ireland - as this could lead to what would effectively be DUP direct rule, when they only received a single seat more than Sinn Fein in the Northern Irish election in March - which was held under the Single Transferable Vote system. Given that the constituency results in Northern Ireland in this election appear to mirror the constituency results in the Assembly election, in terms of largest party, it's likely that the political situation in the province hasn't changed much since March.

On top of this, the DUP have links with the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and the Red Hand Commando (RHC). The aforementioned organisations are proscribed groups under the Terrorism Act 2000. I know that the Conservative campaign mentioned the alleged links between Jeremy Corbyn, Gerry Adams and the IRA as a reason not to support the Labour Party. I feel that it would be deplorable for the Conservatives to enter into an agreement with a party that is supported by terrorist organisations themselves, especially after the party made comments regarding Corbyn and the IRA a major campaigning point in this election.

I, personally, feel that this deal is only to allow for Theresa May to push through a deal with the European Union without input from the other parties in the House of Commons. It's concerning that, despite 57% of votes in the election going to parties other that the Conservatives and the DUP, the leadership of the Conservatives are attempting to by-pass the opposition in Parliament to achieve that deal with the EU that they want - rather than a deal that the country, as a whole, wants.

To summarise, I feel that you should oppose the Conservative plan to enter into an agreement with the DUP, as the party pursues regressive policies in Northern Ireland, has links with terrorist organisations and the agreement between the parties could undermine the Good Friday Agreement.

Best regards,"
gpwm, need to think about this

The question for me at the moment is

are we better to have a Consevative DUP coalition negotiating Brexit, or a cross party team

stuie

Post by stuie » 10 Jun 2017, 16:53

stuie wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 13:10
daib0 wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 13:00

"Hello,

Best regards,"
gpwm, need to think about this

The question for me at the moment is

are we better to have a Consevative DUP coalition negotiating Brexit, or a cross party team
I am a caring conservative, with liberal principles, I voted for brexit, not a hard brexit, but sovereignty, let the UK decide.

I can not support a Government that includes a section that has bigoted religious and Homophobic policies

About to e-mail my MP regards this.

real shame the liberals can not see a way forward of reaching a soft brexit in a Billy Braggs progressive alliance

stuie

Post by stuie » 10 Jun 2017, 17:10

Just sent this to my MP

Hi

I consider myself as a caring conservative, with a social conscience and liberal views

I have voted for the Tory party for most of my life, including for you at this election

I voted for brexit, but wanted a soft brexit, it was about sovereignty for me, and the direction of travel. I thought if we could not join the Euro (which I agreed with) then we should not be in an ever increasing federal Europe

I still hoped for an old style single market.

I also thought Theresa May had god ideas and was moving the party to where I thought it should be

I respect Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbot for what they stand for, but they are rebels not fit to govern

I just want to make you aware that I am very uneasy with a government supported by the DUP

IMO the DUP are racist bigots and homophobic

I wish to distance myself from this chaotic coalition

I will not support the Tories whilst in a partnership with the DUP

Stuart ****

daib0

Post by daib0 » 10 Jun 2017, 23:45

Yep, stuie, I think your view is shared by loooooads of people.

------------------------------------------------

But it's going to get even messier - this from the Telegraph, hardly a paper to do cheap scaremongering:

The Telegraph

Ruth Davidson planning Scottish Tory breakaway as she challenges Theresa May's Brexit plan

Ruth Davidson is to defy Theresa May’s plans for a hard Brexit and tear her Scottish party away from English control after the UK Tories’ disastrous General Election result.

Amid a growing clamour among senior Tories in London for Ms Davidson to be given a top position in the UK party, her aides are working on a deal that would see the Scottish party break away to form a separate organisation.