Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply
User avatar
stuie
Posts: 14704
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by stuie » 29 Nov 2017, 20:35

White G wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 20:11
trevormans wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 09:22
As so often, you miss the point, and this time you get your sums wrong at the same time
I have never said that the non-voters were against leaving. I have however pointed out that the rabidly brexiteer press have claimed and continue to claim (dog whistle style on the basis that they believe people will perhaps see the untruth as a truth ) that to do other than go ahead with Brexit then that is "against the will of the people", as if in some way I and others are “enemies of the people”.

This is by far the most important decision made since the 1930s , and to claim that "the will of the people" has been demonstrated when so few have voted for something is an utter absurdity. The press speak of the 17millions, but seldom mention the 16 millions who voted opposite.

A vote has been won, I have accepted that. However it was only by a slight percentage . it is clearly “not the will of the people”, when the country is so clearly split.
If “the will of the people “ clearly changes , as and when the utter nonsense of what we are going to get out of Brexit becomes clear, then it is fully appropriate that the people may asked be again, when we can all see how vexatious so many lies actually were.

To suggest I live elsewhere, because I differ in my views , is as Stalinist in its thinking as the invoking of the phrase “against the will of the people” from a doctrinaire press, and such a suggestion is barely becoming of a man of intelligence.
I would not expect better from you.
I am seldom disappointed
I don't think Bristle understands the whole debating procedure. Rather than produce a counter-argunenthusiastic, it tends to be a report along the lines of "It'd be worse under Labour", or "leave the county if you have a problem". I'd like to hear positive counter-arguments but never get them off anybody when it comes to the Tories.
Come on, I do my best
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 30 Nov 2017, 16:24

I'd be in favour of being asked again, but I think that train has left the station. We were given a choice, yes or no, most of the press especially the BBC were for staying in. Those who were fed up with the bias of work going to immigrants because they'd do jobs the British worker wouldn't do. Their worry about the country being drawn into debt because of the mass influx of people from all of the European community made some decide that if they voted to leave there would be more to go round for the British workers. The person who uses the phrase dog whistle all the time, should look at the facts the press, the banks, the government of the time under Cameron wanted us to stay. It was the reason he left his post as PM. Lots of older people remember that we were not given a choice when we joined and were more that happy to take the opportunity to back the waiverers like Corbyn to opt for out. A few tories, Gove, Johnson, and UKIP were the ones who spoke to the people with language they understood. A few tweaks of the truth about the money we'd be better off with to go to the NHS convinced many. To downright accuse people of following the press when the media clearly were urging us to stay. Perhaps the idea that the Daily Mail had a front page spread saying vote to leave are sadly not true.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 30 Nov 2017, 18:22

As ever , an approximation to actuality but so much of it is untrue
Undoubtedly there was a substantial majority in the London area who voted to remain. Despite your words however, the press was largely pro-Brexit (Mail, Telegraph, Times, Sun, Sunday times, Express , all papers owned by people not paying UK TAX) , and continues to be so . Guardian, Mirror, FT and Independent all argued for Remain. This is something like 80% (my guess) of papers sold were pro brexit.

I have always seen the BBC as broadly well-balanced (which is why both Labour and Tories each complain of bias against them! I think they get it about right!). I think I could say the same for ITV and Sky (despite Murdochs involvement).

The BBC and the NHS are undoubtedly two of our greatest treasures

I do look at the facts . Undoubtedly the banks, and the government both wanted to remain. So too did the CBI , and the Institute of Directors, and so many professors of Economics. Corbyn was shameful in that he did not give a clear lead.

Nobody has ever told me of one law introduced by the EU since we joined that has caused substantial personal inconvenience. The same applies to the ECJ. I have never ever felt we we needed to take back control

In monetary terms, despite the round objects from the Brexiteers, the reality is that it was costing the average family some £300 for us to be members of the EU. (Less than a pint of beer per person a week!!!! £2.25 a week per person!!!)

On the other hand however since the Referendum the subsequent devaluation of the pound and inflation has cost the average family over £450 and we have not yet left!! Things will not get better!! The tariffs have not yet hit us, nor the increased costs of international trading

Once we lose the macroeconomic benefits of being in the worlds biggest Free Trade area then the tsunami will hit us.

FatBlokeFromBristol
Posts: 11
Joined: 30 Nov 2017, 10:03

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by FatBlokeFromBristol » 30 Nov 2017, 18:33

I don't recall reading in The Times that we should leave, I have no doubt you'll diss my post, as you seem to with everything else I Say, I would imagine that Murdoch's other, laughingly called newspaper would have followed the same lead.

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 30 Nov 2017, 21:07

I have no knowledge of ever having seen a post from " fatbloke from bristol"

so for you to say i have "dissed" (i dont know the word) everything else you say makes me doubt the veracity of your words

there is another chap who perhaps lives in bristol , with whom I have disagreed on practically everything (apart from the merits of maddison)

but so I would as he writes with such a one-eyed and utterly racist approach . I wonder if that is endemic in Bristol (fat or otherwise)

FatBlokeFromBristol
Posts: 11
Joined: 30 Nov 2017, 10:03

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by FatBlokeFromBristol » 30 Nov 2017, 23:14

trevormans wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 21:07
I have no knowledge of ever having seen a post from " fatbloke from bristol"

so for you to say i have "dissed" (i dont know the word) everything else you say makes me doubt the veracity of your words

there is another chap who perhaps lives in bristol , with whom I have disagreed on practically everything (apart from the merits of maddison)

but so I would as he writes with such a one-eyed and utterly racist approach . I wonder if that is endemic in Bristol (fat or otherwise)
This is obviously the only thread you read, try reading the other one in this group called help needed.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 14704
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by stuie » 30 Nov 2017, 23:30

FatBlokeFromBristol wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 23:14
trevormans wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 21:07
I have no knowledge of ever having seen a post from " fatbloke from bristol"

so for you to say i have "dissed" (i dont know the word) everything else you say makes me doubt the veracity of your words

there is another chap who perhaps lives in bristol , with whom I have disagreed on practically everything (apart from the merits of maddison)

but so I would as he writes with such a one-eyed and utterly racist approach . I wonder if that is endemic in Bristol (fat or otherwise)
This is obviously the only thread you read, try reading the other one in this group called help needed.
for sure, there can not be two fat chappies wearing shorts supporting Posh, old farts, from Bristol and going to Woking, unless the b :D :D r goggles kick in
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

FatBlokeFromBristol
Posts: 11
Joined: 30 Nov 2017, 10:03

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by FatBlokeFromBristol » 30 Nov 2017, 23:51

stuie wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 23:30
FatBlokeFromBristol wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 23:14
trevormans wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 21:07
I have no knowledge of ever having seen a post from " fatbloke from bristol"

so for you to say i have "dissed" (i dont know the word) everything else you say makes me doubt the veracity of your words

there is another chap who perhaps lives in bristol , with whom I have disagreed on practically everything (apart from the merits of maddison)

but so I would as he writes with such a one-eyed and utterly racist approach . I wonder if that is endemic in Bristol (fat or otherwise)
This is obviously the only thread you read, try reading the other one in this group called help needed.
for sure, there can not be two fat chappies wearing shorts supporting Posh, old farts, from Bristol and going to Woking, unless the b :D :D r goggles kick in
:clap: :clap2: :clap:

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 01 Dec 2017, 20:09

FatBlokeFromBristol wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 23:14
trevormans wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 21:07



This is obviously the only thread you read, try reading the other one in this group called help needed.
Once again, (at least you have consistency in this) you are wrong.

Your statement that this is "obviously" anything (when it is clearly wrong) just highlights the bullying way you behave when you don't get your own way.

I have read many (but not all) posts (mostly on the posh part , where my heart lies. I was there when Denis Law scored against Posh, so it is deeply seated) but as I see only a few games nowadays I feel not able to speak with certainty or authority. I will always stand up against racism , against bigotry and against stupidity. you should therefore not be surprised that many comments I make are responses to yours which often fit all three categories

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 01 Dec 2017, 21:18

I'll agree with you on the stupid bit, but feel I'm neither a bigot nor a racist, I indeed make the odd crass statement, but most is down to stupidity
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18327
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by tonyp » 01 Dec 2017, 23:34

bristleposh wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 21:18
I'll agree with you on the stupid bit, but feel I'm neither a bigot nor a racist, I indeed make the odd crass statement, but most is down to stupidity
Join the club.
Being happy never goes out of style

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 02 Dec 2017, 00:23

most bigots and racists are too stupid to know that that is what they are

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by bristleposh » 02 Dec 2017, 09:01

trevormans wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 00:23
most bigots and racists are too stupid to know that that is what they are
Thank you for the vote of confidence. cogito ergo sum
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 03 Dec 2017, 12:26

I am fully confident in your ability to pronounce racist and bigoted views

trevormans
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Theresa May to make statement in Downing Street

Post by trevormans » 04 Dec 2017, 20:18

trevormans wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 13:31
the strong and stable emperors got no clothes!


one genuinely nightmare scenario could be the DUP and UUP being the support to the emperor and blackmailing her over the Ulster position

as someone with much perspicacity once said before the election





After todays debacle mrs weak and wobbly should be sacked for her utter incompetence .

It was her (and her whips' )responsibility to ensure that all the ducks were in a row, and yet she has made an utter laughing stock of the country.

Somebody must know how she will get out of this , but it puts the lie to all the Brexiteers' view that it would all be easy.
Those who lapped up the fibs should be feeling a wee bit silly. if they are not then they are even sillier than that


The real negotiations have not yet begun, and we ain't seen nothing yet

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest