Women’s World Cup

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Wycliffe

Re: Women’s World Cup

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Jun 2019, 18:46

Poshay wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 11:34
tonyp wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 08:40
Poshay wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 08:07
Womens' football is a sexist construct. There should not be separate competitions for men and women if , as women say, they should be treated equally.
I suppose you would have them share dressing rooms as well.
With the millions of pounds available in football nowadays the cost of an additional 2 changing rooms wouldn't be out of this world. At lower levels the home and away teams could share. At present men of both sexual persuasions have to share. (In my day there weren't any homosexuals or if there were they kept it to themselves!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 17 Jun 2019, 07:55

I watched the USA v Chile game another master class of goal keeping from the Chilean girl. I’m sure she could play in the men’s game
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Jun 2019, 07:58

bristleposh wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 08:12
Poshay wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 08:07
Womens' football is a sexist construct. There should not be separate competitions for men and women if , as women say, they should be treated equally.
I agree, it would be the same as allowing Celtic or Rangers play in the English leagues an uneven playing field
If you watched the England v Rest of The World charity match last night I hope you would agree that the women on both sides acquitted themselves really well. It doesn't mean that they are at the same level as the men. It is an inbuilt DNA mismatch that defines this and which cannot be changed. Well done ladies. Vive la difference!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 17 Jun 2019, 09:50

I caught the tail end on ITV + 1 when we got back from the bar, some terrible penalties at the end but the equaliser from the RofW team was excellent

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Jun 2019, 12:56

bristleposh wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 09:50
I caught the tail end on ITV + 1 when we got back from the bar, some terrible penalties at the end but the equaliser from the RofW team was excellent
The celebrities were the only ones allowed to take penalties. That's why they were poor. No knocking from me as the whole idea of the game was to raise money for kids through SoccerAid. So far they reckon that about £8m has been raised but are predicting £10m in total.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 17 Jun 2019, 21:28

I'm watching france v nigeria and tbf it's a decent game, nigeria defending stoutly, a bit of play acting from them but they are being whupped despite not conceding ........yet (20 minutes to go)

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 18 Jun 2019, 08:53

Wycliffe wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 21:28
I'm watching france v nigeria and tbf it's a decent game, nigeria defending stoutly, a bit of play acting from them but they are being whupped despite not conceding ........yet (20 minutes to go)
Watched most of it.

France are certainly getting their fair share of VAR decisions :D
I have no internet friends

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 18 Jun 2019, 18:12

Gaz_Miller wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 08:53
Wycliffe wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 21:28
Watched most of it.

France are certainly getting their fair share of VAR decisions :D
indeed, I wonder why? :D

saying that, keepers are told at least one foot has to be on or behind the line and she did have both feet ahead of it.
Fact one of the french girls was a yard in the box could have negated it but......she was french so it was ok. :wink:

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 19 Jun 2019, 20:37

Proper game on now with England v Japan, really good standard

ashman

Post by ashman » 19 Jun 2019, 22:02

Wycliffe wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 20:37
... and well done The Lionesses. Tough on Scotland but rules are rules.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 20 Jun 2019, 06:01

ashman wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 22:02
Wycliffe wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 20:37
... and well done The Lionesses. Tough on Scotland but rules are rules.
England were in the end fortunate.
Excellent first half performance, totally outplayed second.
At least we now know it's not just the men who let teams back in to the game when on top and test our nerves :roll:

The Scotland ending was hilarious.

VAR was shown up for what it can be not what it should be and in the hands of a referee on the pitch who acted like a startled rabbit it becomes a farce.

Still funny though, and how thick is that scottish keeper, she was clearly told in Korean she wasn't to leave her line then did so blatantly and it was a pen in the first place.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Jun 2019, 08:10

Wycliffe wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 06:01

VAR was shown up for what it can be not what it should be and in the hands of a referee on the pitch who acted like a startled rabbit it becomes a farce.

Same again in the USA v Sweden game. VAR is subject to the limitations of the ability of those looking at it. USA’s first goal wasn’t looked at where the keeper seemed to be blocked from coming off her line. The second was looked at, and despite a cross being aimed at a player in the centre of the goal , who for me was definitely interfering with play, would have received the ball had it not been for an acrobatic clearance, the ball falling to a USA player was duly despatched via an unfortunate block. How on earth the referee decided that goal should stand, is beyond a mystery.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 25 Jun 2019, 21:44

Netherlands v Japan the best game I’ve seen so far.

Some very good football being played
I have no internet friends

ashman

Post by ashman » 26 Jun 2019, 08:08

All games have so far been fairly/very enjoyable. The rubbish being written about VAR is getting boring. There are bound to be mistakes but at least the number of incidents deserving to be sorted are becoming less and less. It must be a step up from relying totally on the decisions made by the person with the whistle.
Nearly all talking points from games revolve around good/bad decisions and without these discussions fans would have very little to talk about. VAR is never going to be perfect but at least it is a huge step up in the implementations of the rules of the game.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 26 Jun 2019, 10:30

They seem to have changed a couple of rules. eg handball in the area, last night the Japanese girl was hit from close range whilst trying to put her hands behind her back, and the goalkeeper being made to stand on or behind the line for penalties