Women’s World Cup

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Women’s World Cup

Post by bristleposh » 15 Jun 2019, 08:14

Having watched last nights game in its entirety, I have to say how much I enjoyed watching the Argies get beaten, they were just as cynical as their male counterparts. I did however feel sorry for their keeper who apart from saving a penalty made a string of important saves. I was watching it a Spanish bar with music playing, so no idea of any commentary, I’d be interested to hear from somebody who listened on English, do they have a man of the match, woman of the match or girl of the match, for me it had to be the Argentina goalkeeper
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

tonyp

Re: Women’s World Cup

Post by tonyp » 15 Jun 2019, 08:49

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np7bVzL ... ure=onebox
VANINA CORREA (goalkeeper) ARGENTINA was elected Player of the Match

By the way Australia revived their campaign with action-packed win over Brazil
Matildas became just second nation to win after being two goals down
Player of the Match Chloe Logarzo says scoring “is like a dream come true”
https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/new ... ance-x8481
Being happy never goes out of style

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 15 Jun 2019, 10:12

bristleposh wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 08:14
Having watched last nights game in its entirety, I have to say how much I enjoyed watching the Argies get beaten, they were just as cynical as their male counterparts. I did however feel sorry for their keeper who apart from saving a penalty made a string of important saves. I was watching it a Spanish bar with music playing, so no idea of any commentary, I’d be interested to hear from somebody who listened on English, do they have a man of the match, woman of the match or girl of the match, for me it had to be the Argentina goalkeeper
Scott the very tall ponytailed girl in midfield was imo by far the most influential England player.
She actually looked like a footballer as opposed to a girl who played football.

The overall standard of the football being played is pretty woeful but various individuals show a lot of talent.

It's football and so I'll give some of it a go but it's really best to observe it as a totally different sport to the proper game, a bit like golf and the two versions which are totally different.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 15 Jun 2019, 11:06

I assume you are talking ladies golf and men’s golf as opposed to something like the open and crazy golf.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 15 Jun 2019, 12:00

Wycliffe wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 10:12
The overall standard of the football being played is pretty woeful but various individuals show a lot of talent.

It's football and so I'll give some of it a go but it's really best to observe it as a totally different sport to the proper game, a bit like golf and the two versions which are totally different.
It's the Women's World Cup and the standard of football is definitely NOT woeful.
And it's nothing like golf.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 15 Jun 2019, 16:49

tonyp wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 12:00
Wycliffe wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 10:12

It's the Women's World Cup and the standard of football is definitely NOT woeful.
well it is woeful and guess what I do know the difference between the two sports.
Who are you supporting in this?

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 15 Jun 2019, 19:30

Wycliffe wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 16:49
tonyp wrote:

well it is woeful and guess what I do know the difference between the two sports.
Australia of course.
Only because the standard of Women's football is not woeful for women.

ashman

Post by ashman » 15 Jun 2019, 20:15

tonyp wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 19:30
Wycliffe wrote:
tonyp wrote:

Australia of course.
Agreed Tony. The standard of women's football has risen quite dramatically in recent years. If only the men's game could have shown the same level of improvement instead of going down the cheating, wingeing, route that seems to pervade the male game. Give it time, a load more money and the women will be treading the same boards as the men - money, the route of all evil! :twisted:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 15 Jun 2019, 20:43

Watching the Argentinians yesterday I think they all ready have the cynicism judging by some of time wasting and deliberate fouls to break up play

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 15 Jun 2019, 20:49

ashman wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 20:15
tonyp wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 19:30
Wycliffe wrote:

Australia of course.
mmm. You once posted on the other site you always supported your country of birth in football :shock:

Agreed Tony. The standard of women's football has risen quite dramatically in recent years. If only the men's game could have shown the same level of improvement instead of going down the cheating, wingeing, route that seems to pervade the male game. Give it time, a load more money and the women will be treading the same boards as the men - money, the route of all evil! :twisted:
It has indeed risen. At best it is on the whole well below the national league standard though. btw ashman, if you watch enough there is plenty of 'gamesmanship' to be seen with play acting galore but I totally agree it's not as prevalent as in the men's game.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 15 Jun 2019, 21:36

ashman wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 20:15

mmm. You once posted on the other site you always supported your country of birth in football :shock:
Don't you start! I have enough trouble with Wycliffe on this subject. :)
I support England in football and cricket and tiddlywinks except when they are playing Australia.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 16 Jun 2019, 08:07

Womens' football is a sexist construct. There should not be separate competitions for men and women if , as women say, they should be treated equally.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 Jun 2019, 08:12

Poshay wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 08:07
Womens' football is a sexist construct. There should not be separate competitions for men and women if , as women say, they should be treated equally.
I agree, it would be the same as allowing Celtic or Rangers play in the English leagues an uneven playing field

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 16 Jun 2019, 08:40

Poshay wrote:
I suppose you would have them share dressing rooms as well.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 16 Jun 2019, 11:34

tonyp wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 08:40
Poshay wrote:
I suppose you would have them share dressing rooms as well.
With the millions of pounds available in football nowadays the cost of an additional 2 changing rooms wouldn't be out of this world. At lower levels the home and away teams could share. At present men of both sexual persuasions have to share. (In my day there weren't any homosexuals or if there were they kept it to themselves!)
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l: