Questionnaire for Posh fans on the significance of football stadium names

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Fraserja

Questionnaire for Posh fans on the significance of football stadium names

Post by Fraserja » 02 Mar 2019, 18:52

Hi, I am Fraser, a third year student at the Manchester Metropolitan University carrying out my dissertation project on the significance of football stadium names within fan culture. It would be greatly appreciated if you could click on the link below to answer a questionnaire, it will only take a couple of minutes. Thanks ever so much for your help.

https://goo.gl/forms/N6WIqZNfn0AFQesQ2

Wycliffe

Re: Questionnaire for Posh fans on the significance of football stadium names

Post by Wycliffe » 03 Mar 2019, 14:21

done

Fraserja

Post by Fraserja » 03 Mar 2019, 14:26

Wycliffe wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 14:21
done
Cheers mate!

ashman

Post by ashman » 03 Mar 2019, 14:57

Me too. Hope it helps.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 03 Mar 2019, 19:34

DONE
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 03 Mar 2019, 22:32

London Road for me.
It's like Lang Park in Brisbane - the home of Rugby League, Union and soccer.
It is also known as Suncorp Stadium, but not by me or the ABC. Only the commercial channels call it Suncorp.
They are now calling for sponsors to name the Gabba cricket ground and I can see plenty of objections.
Being happy never goes out of style

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 04 Mar 2019, 17:08

Done it, but my answers probably won't help
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 04 Mar 2019, 21:53

bristleposh wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 17:08
Yes they will. Even mine will. He wants to know fans' feelings on the stadium name. You don't have to go to every match. I've been to hundreds of games at London Road. Even though I can't attend anymore it will always be London Road for me.
Being happy never goes out of style

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 05 Mar 2019, 09:37

tonyp wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 21:53
bristleposh wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 17:08
Yes they will. Even mine will. He wants to know fans' feelings on the stadium name. You don't have to go to every match. I've been to hundreds of games at London Road. Even though I can't attend anymore it will always be London Road for me.
Absolutely and I never refer to it as anything else and I am sure this is the case for all football fans who's club still play at the same stadium where they have built and developed their culture and identity. The problem comes with teams that have moved to a new location, where their fans don't have that same bond with the stadium and they have no issues with the sponsorship and financial advantage that goes with a corporately named stadium, even if it changes on a regular basis. Since Leaving Maine Rd, Man City have played at Eastlands, the Manchester stadium and the Etihad, but I can't believe they are particularly bothered about it, but they would have been very unhappy if Maine Rd had been renamed. But for me it's London Road every time and I also call the other end to where I stand, the Moys End.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 05 Mar 2019, 23:47

Steamy Nin wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 09:37

Absolutely and I never refer to it as anything else and I am sure this is the case for all football fans who's club still play at the same stadium where they have built and developed their culture and identity. The problem comes with teams that have moved to a new location, where their fans don't have that same bond with the stadium and they have no issues with the sponsorship and financial advantage that goes with a corporately named stadium, even if it changes on a regular basis. Since Leaving Maine Rd, Man City have played at Eastlands, the Manchester stadium and the Etihad, but I can't believe they are particularly bothered about it, but they would have been very unhappy if Maine Rd had been renamed. But for me it's London Road every time and I also call the other end to where I stand, the Moys End.
Is exactly how I feel. Ashton Gate and The Mem in Bristol. Newcastle whilst they are in the current home will forever be St James' Park.

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 06 Mar 2019, 09:28

bristleposh wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 23:47
Steamy Nin wrote:

Is exactly how I feel. Ashton Gate and The Mem in Bristol. Newcastle whilst they are in the current home will forever be St James' Park.
I think you're right Bristle, this goes beyond our own clubs as it is an assault on our football culture and heritage not just at our own clubs. However I reckon Exeter City might be happy at the renaming of the Newcastle ground. :D

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 06 Mar 2019, 10:00

Steamy Nin wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 09:28
bristleposh wrote:
Steamy Nin wrote:

I think you're right Bristle, this goes beyond our own clubs as it is an assault on our football culture and heritage not just at our own clubs. However I reckon Exeter City might be happy at the renaming of the Newcastle ground. :D
Yea but no but, where is the apostrophe?

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 06 Mar 2019, 18:52

bristleposh wrote:
Steamy Nin wrote:

Eastville surely?

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 06 Mar 2019, 20:03

I am pleased arsenal relocated to the Fylde