Past and Present Players

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

AndoverPoshFan

Past and Present Players

Post by AndoverPoshFan » 08 Nov 2018, 21:35

So chuffed Craig had a warm reception from us at the weekend. I was wondering who has had the best and the worst reception from when you started watching the posh (not just including posh players). Also an interesting one, out of the last few seasons who will get a cheer and who will get booed.

Mine are:

Previously older players:
Best - Craig Mackail-Smith
Worst - tough one but maybe John Terry (everyone seems to dislike him).

Recent seasons:
Best - Jack Baldwin (nice guy on and off pitch).
Worst - Danny Lloyd (thought he would be staying then went)

OBM

Re: Past and Present Players

Post by OBM » 09 Nov 2018, 13:58

David Seamen got a great reception from the LRE with 'Englands No.1.' and then the worst with a chorus of 'Nayim from the halfway line' made him laugh though.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 09 Nov 2018, 23:51

Deserervedly, Grant McCann enjoyed a great reception from the LRE against Donny.

Also deserved was Wayne Andrews getting the bird for over celebrating a winner for Colchester back in the day.

ashman

Post by ashman » 13 Jan 2019, 09:53

'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 28 Jan 2019, 08:55

Poor old Boydie. Sad to see him last night playing for Owls v Chelsea and studiously trying to avoid tackling anybody until he was subbed.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Jan 2019, 09:49

Poshay wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 08:55
Poor old Boydie. Sad to see him last night playing for Owls v Chelsea and studiously trying to avoid tackling anybody until he was subbed.
He was obviously asked to do a job of holding up attacks from the left hand side and did it admirably in my opinion. That is not what he is all about. He never was a particularly wonderful defender even in his prime. George's game is all about what he can do on the ball and in that game he was never going to stand much of a chance. He wasn't the only one in the Wednesday side who struggled against a very mobile and eventually successful side. The figures for possession of 79% Chelsea, 21% Sheffield bears this out.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 28 Jan 2019, 11:10

Having followed a link from another website to SW forum, fans have been praising St George's recent performances
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 28 Jan 2019, 11:31

Boydie can do no wrong in my mind. He played totally to Managers instructions yesterday as a defending half back instead of an attacking midfielder on the left.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Jan 2019, 18:26

Brianposh wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 11:31
Boydie can do no wrong in my mind. He played totally to Managers instructions yesterday as a defending half back instead of an attacking midfielder on the left.
Exactly what I was getting at Brian. Poor old Poshay. We'll have to have a word at some time! :wink: :lol:

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 28 Jan 2019, 21:52

Brianposh wrote:
He played totally to Managers instructions yesterday as a defending half back instead of an attacking midfielder on the left.
The Manager was in Barbados at the time watching England getting thrashed by the Windies leaving his coaches to look after the team. Who knows what his/their instructions were. I too remember Boydie being Posh's star man and I repeat it was sad to see him so far off his normal game whatever his remit was. Wednesday would have been better served using one of their cloggers in that role. Boydie's attempts at man marking made Maddison look like Nobby Styles.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 28 Jan 2019, 22:03

Coulthirst scores twice against Brentford
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 28 Jan 2019, 22:34

Poshay wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 21:52
Brianposh wrote:
He played totally to Managers instructions yesterday as a defending half back instead of an attacking midfielder on the left.
The Manager was in Barbados at the time watching England getting thrashed by the Windies leaving his coaches to look after the team. Who knows what his/their instructions were. I too remember Boydie being Posh's star man and I repeat it was sad to see him so far off his normal game whatever his remit was. Wednesday would have been better served using one of their cloggers in that role. Boydie's attempts at man marking made Maddison look like Nobby Styles.
Actually in Darren F. time at Posh he played George 'well out of position' for over 4-5 months exactly in the same way and that did not work either. When he had Rowe just behind him playing full back, both on the left, it was a dream ticket. I did at one time raise the problem with Darren when he was in the Lounge once and he told me firmly that it was against his normal thinking, but was needed at that time for the team as a whole. Same scene by the looks of it.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 01 Feb 2019, 17:53

NML scores a fine goal for Cardiff at Arsenal in the Premiership, while Ryan Bennett continues to impress at Wolves

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 06 Feb 2019, 12:35

Joe Day kept a clean sheet against Middlesburgh last night (which was more than O'Malley managed) before dashing off the field to be with his wife as she went into labour with their twins . In my day dads were expected to steer well clear of such niceties. Britt Assombalonga was out of sorts as Championship club Middlesburgh went out of the FA Cup against L2 Newport at a muddy Rodney Parade.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 06 Feb 2019, 19:17

DaveLister wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 17:53
NML scores a fine goal for Cardiff at Arsenal in the Premiership, while Ryan Bennett continues to impress at Wolves
whoever signed those two must be a good manager??!!