Racism in football

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Chompy

Racism in football

Post by Chompy » 10 May 2018, 18:50

The entire section of the Burnley crowd who booed Bong a couple of weeks ago should have been arrested.

A large percentage of Brits are a disgrace.

bristleposh

Racism in football

Post by bristleposh » 10 May 2018, 19:03

Chompy wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:50
The entire section of the Burnley crowd who booed Bong a couple of weeks ago should have been arrested.

Funnily enough I've never been to Burnleys ground
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Wycliffe

Re: Retained list

Post by Wycliffe » 10 May 2018, 20:37

Chompy wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:50
Not just you bristol.

Why did they boo him?

The constant booing of Bong every time he touched the ball has re-focused attention on his claim that former Burnley favourite Jay Rodriguez racially abused him during a match last January at West Brom, where Rodriguez now plays.

An FA inquiry, using a lip-reading expert, found the claim ‘not proven,’ after Bong alleged Rodriguez said: “You’re black and you stink,” but the one-cap England player insisted he only said: “Your breath stinks,” as he pinched his nose.

Is booing de facto racist?

Not nice but rightly or wrongly the burnley fans felt they were sticking up for one of their own.

Chompy

Re: Retained list

Post by Chompy » 10 May 2018, 20:54

Wrongly. Of course.

Quite possible Bong misheard but he probably couldn't believe a grown man was stood near him on a football pitch waving his hand under his nose like a six-year-old.

Would that have happened were he white? I don't think so.

And you can bet your bottom dollar he HAS been racially abused during matches. I know a former pro from the 80s-90s, a big name too, and some of the stories I've heard are incredible.

I'm white and I can see what goes on in this country. Over and over and over. Go back and watch Ian Wright on The Deabet the other night re: the £25,000 fine. He's an exasperated man. I fully understand it.

It's probably not much more than ten years since we were hearing monkey chants in the LR end. This country is intrinsically stil deeply racist. Only these days it's kept out of the mainstream press and swept under the carpet.

Wycliffe

Racism in football

Post by Wycliffe » 10 May 2018, 21:39

Chompy wrote:
10 May 2018, 20:54
Wrongly. Of course.

Quite possible Bong misheard but he probably couldn't believe a grown man was stood near him on a football pitch waving his hand under his nose like a six-year-old.

Would that have happened were he white? I don't think so.

And you can bet your bottom dollar he HAS been racially abused during matches. I know a former pro from the 80s-90s, a big name too, and some of the stories I've heard are incredible.

I'm white and I can see what goes on in this country. Over and over and over. Go back and watch Ian Wright on The Deabet the other night re: the £25,000 fine. He's an exasperated man. I fully understand it.

It's probably not much more than ten years since we were hearing monkey chants in the LR end. This country is intrinsically stil deeply racist. Only these days it's kept out of the mainstream press and swept under the carpet.
Hey I don't disagree with your wider general point whatsoever and I have spent my life arguing with and even fighting with racists.

Footballers being childish? Surely not :D

Chompy

Racism in football

Post by Chompy » 10 May 2018, 21:52

If you go back and watch Wrighty on The Debate, also look up Lee Hendrie from the night before. Fascinating stuff.

JohnC

Racism in football

Post by JohnC » 10 May 2018, 22:08

Wycliffe wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:43
bristleposh wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:35
superposh80 wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:30

Little... McCann... Maddison.

Who will be next on your hate list...
IF he (MM) goes he goes. Gwion may come to the fore a bit more (injuries permitting) and amazingly guess what even if between a few players his assists will be replicated if we are playing well.
'IF....may....if...if....' Circumspect.

bristleposh

Re: Racism in football

Post by bristleposh » 11 May 2018, 08:05

As for the Bong incident, Rodriguez may have acted like a little child, but as I recall the incident from seeing it several times (if I'm thinking of the right incident) occurred when Rodriguez had ran towards the side of the pitch and was pushed into the crowd and could have been seriously injured. When he came out of the crowd he was obviously irate and probably did say what he was accused of. Why would anybody mention that someone's breath stinks. I'd prefer to be on the end of a verbal assault which I often get on this message board for expressing my opinions, that being thrown into a career ending situation.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761