Yellow cards

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

bristleposh

Yellow cards

Post by bristleposh » 21 Sep 2017, 09:25

I could be wrong, I generally am, but isn't there supposed to be an experiment going on whereby players are sent to a sin bin for ten minutes.

In the Posh forum, on the thread about Wigan, people have been discussing the absence of Morsey and the relative number of bookings our own Grant has had.

What I have always thought is the suspension system, obviously the player and the club are punished for the Ill discipline, but the team that has been sinned against gets no benefit. Imagine the scenario during a recent game at London Road whereby three of our players would have been binned for ten minutes. This would certainly have given the advantage to the team who had been sinned against, as opposed to some random team months down the line. The fact that some of those bookings were wrong and the opposition got away with the melee scot-free is always going to be a problem. Hence my reasoning behind the thoughts that the use of technology needs to be brought in. With the aid of the technology one of their players would probably have been sent off, instead of avoiding a card altogether.
https://hashtagbay.com/wp-content/uploads/product/40593/58f7f1702485b.png

tonyp

Re: Yellow cards

Post by tonyp » 21 Sep 2017, 10:15

bristleposh wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 09:25
I could be wrong, I generally am, but isn't there supposed to be an experiment going on whereby players are sent to a sin bin for ten minutes.

In the Posh forum, on the thread about Wigan, people have been discussing the absence of Morsey and the relative number of bookings our own Grant has had.

What I have always thought is the suspension system, obviously the player and the club are punished for the Ill discipline, but the team that has been sinned against gets no benefit. Imagine the scenario during a recent game at London Road whereby three of our players would have been binned for ten minutes. This would certainly have given the advantage to the team who had been sinned against, as opposed to some random team months down the line. The fact that some of those bookings were wrong and the opposition got away with the melee scot-free is always going to be a problem. Hence my reasoning behind the thoughts that the use of technology needs to be brought in. With the aid of the technology one of their players would probably have been sent off, instead of avoiding a card altogether.
"the team that has been sinned against gets no benefit." In fact the team they play when the player is suspended gets the benefit.
Just as we get the benefit of Morsy being suspended.
The good thing about the sin bin in rugby league is that it is all over and done with after 10 minutes. But playing with a player short is enough of a deterrent to encourage players to play the game without resorting to deliberate fouls or other rule breaking offences..
Being happy never goes out of style