EFL Cup

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

what should we do with the EFL cup

1 keep the new system
No votes
2 Revert to the previous system
65%
3 bin it
35%

Total votes: 17

tonyp

Re: EFL Cup

Post by tonyp » 10 May 2017, 21:53

According to Alan Swann "Peterborough United have voted to keep the 2016-17 Checkatrade Trophy format for next season, although there could be one or two tweaks to the competition according to club director of football Barry Fry."
Read all about it here.
“We have voted to keep some of the format the same,” Fry stated. “But we are hoping there will be some slight amendments to it. Nothing has been decided for certain yet. There is much to discuss and there is a big carrot of potentially £1 million to each the lower division clubs for keeping the Premier League teams involved. That’s obviously a big incentive.”
They even show an image of a typical crowd at a Checkatrade Trophy match
Being happy never goes out of style.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 May 2017, 07:52

Wonderful post Tony, such a shame some childish people and some season ticket holders can't appreciate your posts. They are often informative and non confrontational, keep up the good work.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb1Ea6WUAAAJX48.png

dunc

Post by dunc » 11 May 2017, 10:16

It's all rather confusing!
The EFL Cup - which we all know as the League Cup, is now to be known as the Carabao Cup and the format of the competition hasn't changed its format in years!
The EFL Trophy, formally the Chexkatrade Trophy needs the input of the Premier League and the other top clubs to retain its prize money at the level it is, so necessary for the lower division clubs, most who run on a tight budget or a negative budget!
So one can understand why the smaller clubs, Posh included, will vote to retain it, other than the rule about first team players for league clubs, but no rule to stop under-23 academies playing some over-age players or first team players.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 11 May 2017, 10:37

dunc wrote:It's all rather confusing!
The EFL Cup - which we all know as the League Cup, is now to be known as the Carabao Cup and the format of the competition hasn't changed its format in years!
The EFL Trophy, formally the Chexkatrade Trophy needs the input of the Premier League and the other top clubs to retain its prize money at the level it is, so necessary for the lower division clubs, most who run on a tight budget or a negative budget!
So one can understand why the smaller clubs, Posh included, will vote to retain it, other than the rule about first team players for league clubs, but no rule to stop under-23 academies playing some over-age players or first team players.
Yes, it is confusing.
This thread is not about the EFL Cup it is about the EFL Trophy.
As you say, Dunc, the clubs are voting to retain it because of the prize money on offer.
Barry Fry is quoted as saying as much.
But the fans are certainly not voting for it.
No-one on this board's poll voted to keep it the way it is.
I really can't see what they can do to get the fans on side.
I'll be subscribing to the new IFollow so I'll be watching every game possible but that's not going to help the attendance figures!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 12 May 2017, 22:27

Northampton have announced that they listened to the fans and voted for the competition to be abandoned.
Read all about it here.
However, they changed their mind after the EFL revealed that "66.6% of clubs who voted did so for Option One - 'Retaining the current format with amendments' and as a result, the format – with some key amendments - will be retained for seasons 2017/18 and 2018/19."
Here is what the Cobblers site reported.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 12 May 2017, 22:35

An interesting article in the Plymouth Herald.
"Checkatrade Trophy farce to continue as the EFL takes no notice of fans"

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 13 May 2017, 07:49

bristleposh wrote:Wonderful post Tony, such a shame some childish people and some season ticket holders can't appreciate your posts. They are often informative and non confrontational, keep up the good work.
Thanks, Nick.

Is nobody else interested in the EFL Trophy?
I know we all voted against keeping it in it's new format. But we have been ignored. Doesn't anyone have anything to say?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 13 May 2017, 08:18

I don't think anybody does Tony they are only interested in creating their own agenda and trying to annoy all the members who live furthest away or work on Saturdays, after all it has always been a fact that season ticket holders are so much better supporters than all the rest.

stuie

Post by stuie » 13 May 2017, 09:51

tonyp wrote:
bristleposh wrote:Wonderful post Tony, such a shame some childish people and some season ticket holders can't appreciate your posts. They are often informative and non confrontational, keep up the good work.
Thanks, Nick.

Is nobody else interested in the EFL Trophy?
I know we all voted against keeping it in it's new format. But we have been ignored. Doesn't anyone have anything to say?
I guess its all about the money, but it is ashame they heve not listened to the fans

On a positive note, lets hope we win it next season :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

bungie

Post by bungie » 13 May 2017, 19:48

bristleposh wrote:I don't think anybody does Tony they are only interested in creating their own agenda and trying to annoy all the members who live furthest away or work on Saturdays, after all it has always been a fact that season ticket holders are so much better supporters than all the rest.
Oh Dear, here we go again

If I am honest the only game in the competition I went to was the final. It was a great day out, and great to be Posh. I am not sure what the format should be, but my recommendation is keep it going.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 13 May 2017, 19:52

So I went to one game more than bungee in that competition, Newport and Swindon

bungie

Post by bungie » 13 May 2017, 19:59

bristleposh wrote:So I went to one game more than bungee in that competition, Newport and Swindon
Respect, why did you not make the final, it was Mint.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 13 May 2017, 20:50

I go and see Posh when I can afford it, spending a couple of hundred to go to Wembley did not appeal to me, had it been a play off final I would no doubt have managed to find the required funds, but not for a Micky Mouse 12"Remix final.