England fined over poppies.

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

User avatar
DoubleRay
Posts: 659
Joined: 12 Jul 2016, 15:39
Location: Stanground

England fined over poppies.

Postby DoubleRay » 19 Dec 2016, 17:09

England have been fined by FIFA, £35k for wearing poppy armbands.. How absurd. It wasn't a political statement but just a remembrance.
I wonder what would happen if they refused to pay it.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 23886.html

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 13685
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby stuie » 19 Dec 2016, 17:23

DoubleRay wrote:England have been fined by FIFA, £35k for wearing poppy armbands.. How absurd. It wasn't a political statement but just a remembrance.
I wonder what would happen if they refused to pay it.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 23886.html


I will stick my neck out here, and disagree with everyone I know

The Poppy can be viewed as a political symbol

as such FIFA are right, they have to hold the line at zero tolerance

the fine is very small to be honest, I was expecting worse
Rochdale to Bolton 2016 - 2017

superposh80
Posts: 4311
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby superposh80 » 19 Dec 2016, 19:39

So Stuie....

You happy with one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet fining your country for honouring their war dead?

What would they know about Zero Tolerance.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 25021
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: Bristol

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby bristleposh » 19 Dec 2016, 19:44

superposh80 wrote:
What would they know about Zero Tolerance.

Who does he play for?
In the Kingdom of the blind,
the one eyed man is King

Wycliffe
Posts: 671
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby Wycliffe » 19 Dec 2016, 22:03

stuie wrote:
DoubleRay wrote:England have been fined by FIFA, £35k for wearing poppy armbands.. How absurd. It wasn't a political statement but just a remembrance.
I wonder what would happen if they refused to pay it.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 23886.html


I will stick my neck out here, and disagree with everyone I know

The Poppy can be viewed as a political symbol

as such FIFA are right, they have to hold the line at zero tolerance

the fine is very small to be honest, I was expecting worse


Would they expect a player who has a poppy tattoo to cover up?
If so would it be ok for anyone to complain about just about everything and demand it be covered/removed?

Argentina fans often display very large flags mentioning the falkland islands being theirs.
I have never heard of that being 'investigated', not saying it hasn't been.

User avatar
DoubleRay
Posts: 659
Joined: 12 Jul 2016, 15:39
Location: Stanground

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby DoubleRay » 20 Dec 2016, 11:23

stuie wrote:
DoubleRay wrote:England have been fined by FIFA, £35k for wearing poppy armbands.. How absurd. It wasn't a political statement but just a remembrance.
I wonder what would happen if they refused to pay it.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 23886.html


I will stick my neck out here, and disagree with everyone I know

The Poppy can be viewed as a political symbol

as such FIFA are right, they have to hold the line at zero tolerance

the fine is very small to be honest, I was expecting worse


The poppy isn't a political symbol though. How can it be? If anything it's a symbol of peace. It's worn by a cross section of ordinary people to remember those who fought in the wars on both sides.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 13685
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby stuie » 20 Dec 2016, 13:01

Not my words, but words I found on the internet

FIFA has been a thoroughly corrupt organisation but that doesn’t mean every decision it has made is wrong. The ruling that no international shirt should have a political symbol is surely the right one and the poppy is political because if war isn’t political, then what is? Do you really want to facilitate an arms race of political symbols on football shirts? Football is played in some countries that are ruled by some very dodgy people. What if a country we don’t like wants to put a symbol on their shirt that is celebrating or commemorating something we think was wrong or is offensive? What do we do then? Does whatever you feel the poppy represents have to be expressed on a football shirt?

Not having political symbols on football shirts is a simple, sensible rule to have. It’s not an insult to anyone. On the day there’ll be other collective respectful recognition of the sacrifices made, and you can choose to wear your poppy at the game, or wherever and whenever you want, but there is no virtue in forcing it upon anyone, let alone footballers, in what sometimes feels like little more than a bullying exercise in competitive compassion.
Rochdale to Bolton 2016 - 2017

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 15497
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby ashman » 20 Dec 2016, 14:05

stuie wrote:Not my words, but words I found on the internet

FIFA has been a thoroughly corrupt organisation but that doesn’t mean every decision it has made is wrong. The ruling that no international shirt should have a political symbol is surely the right one and the poppy is political because if war isn’t political, then what is? Do you really want to facilitate an arms race of political symbols on football shirts? Football is played in some countries that are ruled by some very dodgy people. What if a country we don’t like wants to put a symbol on their shirt that is celebrating or commemorating something we think was wrong or is offensive? What do we do then? Does whatever you feel the poppy represents have to be expressed on a football shirt?

Not having political symbols on football shirts is a simple, sensible rule to have. It’s not an insult to anyone. On the day there’ll be other collective respectful recognition of the sacrifices made, and you can choose to wear your poppy at the game, or wherever and whenever you want, but there is no virtue in forcing it upon anyone, let alone footballers, in what sometimes feels like little more than a bullying exercise in competitive compassion.

I tend to agree and I am getting a little bit fed up with having to clap or remain silent at the beginning of nearly every game. We are now getting messages on scoreboards to applaud vociferously in the nth. minute for some well respected club official or fan. It's all going overboard a touch I reckon.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
DoubleRay
Posts: 659
Joined: 12 Jul 2016, 15:39
Location: Stanground

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby DoubleRay » 20 Dec 2016, 14:08

I do accept the poppy divides opinion.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37834224
But organisations like FIFA should not be spouting that's it's political when it's clearly not meant to be. They needn't have made an issue about it and now it's been put forward that it is a political symbol and stirred things up just for the sake of it.
The Royal British Legion (RBL), organiser of the annual poppy appeal, insists the poppy is not a political statement or "a sign of support for war", but instead a symbol of "remembrance and hope".
"We see no reason why the poppy should be banned from players' shirts as it is not a political symbol," a spokesperson said.

Why can't FIFA listen to that and accept it? They won't of course and have even threatened points deductions which is ridiculous.

Teessider
Posts: 925
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:10

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby Teessider » 23 Dec 2016, 14:01

What happened to the Republic of Ireland playing in strip commemorating the Easter up rising

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 25021
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: Bristol

Re: England fined over poppies.

Postby bristleposh » 23 Dec 2016, 21:28

Teessider wrote:What happened to the Republic of Ireland playing in strip commemorating the Easter up rising

:stupid:
In the Kingdom of the blind,
the one eyed man is King


Return to “General Football Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests