Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Re: Posh v Sunderland

Post by JohnC » 02 Sep 2019, 11:26

tonyp wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 05:54
JohnC wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 23:58
And after seven games, we might have a better idea of where we're going. And after eight....repeat and fade. Eventually, we'll be reminded that 'time will tell'. Now, that sounds familiar.
Quite correct John.
And after 44 games we'll know how we went!
Time will have told.
I think that any 'state of the nation' evaluation needs to be deferred until after the closure of the transfer window (today). I wouldn't be overjoyed, for instance, to learn that Sunderland had signed Scott Sinclair from Celtic. I tend to post a 'First Quarter' report. The end of January also seems like a good time for an overall assessment.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 02 Sep 2019, 11:45

In no particular order....

The absence of Sunderland's top-scorer Chris Maguire didn't do us any harm.

I noticed that Dembele hurried down the tunnel at the end of the game, Aaron McLean called after him, obviously encouraging him to join his team-mates in enjoying the plaudits of the fans on the pitch, but Dembele continued on his way.

Toney seems to be surprisingly fallible when it comes to converting chances for headed goals. I can think of a few occasions this season when he's made little of very presentable aerial opportunities.

I don't yet see any signs of an understanding developing between Toney and Eisa. They don't seem to play off each other to any significant degree. The obvious point of comparison is the corresponding fixture at the end of last season. Our goal came, as I recall, from Godden winning a header, Toney returning the knock down to Godden, who then converted. At the moment, Toney and Eisa just seem to be on the pitch at the same time.

I feared that the combined absence of Woodyard, Ward and Dembele would cost us in terms of the amount of chasing, challenging, tackling and closing down that they do. That doesn't appear to be the case.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 02 Sep 2019, 14:05

The play between Eisa and Toney v M.K.Dons last week was excellent and worked well,...... not quite as effective v Sunderland. Will get better and more consistent as time goes by.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

ashman

Post by ashman » 02 Sep 2019, 16:36

JohnC wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:45
I feared that the combined absence of Woodyard, Ward and Dembele would cost us in terms of the amount of chasing, challenging, tackling and closing down that they do. That doesn't appear to be the case.
If you think that Woodyard, Ward and Dembele are the answer then I don't know what the question is! Neither Woodyard nor Ward can create anything of much consequence and Dembele is a little boy of undoubted talents who can only see what is going on a couple of feet in front of him. As for picking a pass or deciding that he is in a shooting position, he is clueless. I hope that he can be coached into improving his talents and stopped from showboating like he tried to do at MK. That was embarrassing! He also needs to learn that you don't have to beat an opposition player three times to be effective - showy but so ineffective!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 03 Sep 2019, 08:45

JohnC wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:26
I tend to post a 'First Quarter' report.
I look forward to reading it.
Being happy never goes out of style

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 03 Sep 2019, 19:49

O'Neins red card for thumping Ivan Toney rescinded. Can't help but think that if it had been a Rochdale player rather than a Sunderland one that wouldn't have happened.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 08 Sep 2019, 11:32

ashman wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 16:36
JohnC wrote:
If you think that Woodyard, Ward and Dembele are the answer then I don't know what the question is! Neither Woodyard nor Ward can create anything of much consequence and Dembele is a little boy of undoubted talents who can only see what is going on a couple of feet in front of him. As for picking a pass or deciding that he is in a shooting position, he is clueless. I hope that he can be coached into improving his talents and stopped from showboating like he tried to do at MK. That was embarrassing! He also needs to learn that you don't have to beat an opposition player three times to be effective - showy but so ineffective!
I didn't claim that any player or players represented the answer to any question. My comment related to the significant portion of any game when a team does not have possession of the ball: this is when the qualities I mentioned --'chasing, challenging, tackling and closing down' -- come to the fore. In my opinion, the players I mentioned are strong in these areas. What happens when possession is regained is another matter

ashman

Post by ashman » 08 Sep 2019, 12:05

JohnC wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 11:32
ashman wrote:
JohnC wrote:
I didn't claim that any player or players represented the answer to any question. My comment related to the significant portion of any game when a team does not have possession of the ball: this is when the qualities I mentioned --'chasing, challenging, tackling and closing down' -- come to the fore. In my opinion, the players I mentioned are strong in these areas. What happens when possession is regained is another matter
.... and not one of them as good at chasing, challenging, tackling and closing down as are Knight, Boyd, Reed or even Burrows when he comes on. That is why they are not regular starters!

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 08 Sep 2019, 15:39

ashman wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 12:05
JohnC wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 11:32
ashman wrote:

.... and not one of them as good at chasing, challenging, tackling and closing down as are Knight, Boyd, Reed or even Burrows when he comes on. That is why they are not regular starters!
This may well be true (at least of the first three; I wouldn't care to make an assessment of Burrows on the strength of about two hours' football, most of which I haven't seen)) hence my closing comment: 'That doesn't appear to be the case.'
I feel you are a little harsh on Dembele: last season, stepping up a league, he managed seven goals ( 5 in L1) in an injury-affected campaign.
I am less embarrassed by his 'showboating' (I wasn't at MK) than I am by Maddison's habitual attempts to cheat by feigning contact/injury.

ashman

Post by ashman » 08 Sep 2019, 16:33

JohnC wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 15:39
This may well be true (at least of the first three; I wouldn't care to make an assessment of Burrows on the strength of about two hours' football, most of which I haven't seen)) hence my closing comment: 'That doesn't appear to be the case.'
I feel you are a little harsh on Dembele: last season, stepping up a league, he managed seven goals ( 5 in L1) in an injury-affected campaign.
I am less embarrassed by his 'showboating' (I wasn't at MK) than I am by Maddison's habitual attempts to cheat by feigning contact/injury.
Maddison has always been one of those players that will be in line to get a battering. For some teams that is about all they can do to stop him. He has however now stopped the manner in which he goes down from contact/injury and gets up quickly too.
Dembele scored an almost worldy at the Cobblers last Tuesday and then managed to throw away a handful of chances, again failing to either shoot or play a decent pass when in possession. He is undoubted a really talented player when he is on the ball but has loads to learn in the management of his game. If anyone can help him I am sure that our coaching team should be able to improve him beyond recognition. If you had been at MK I am sure that you would have been suitably well embarrassed by a player standing over a ball waggling his foot back and forth, feigning to advance and then go back and do his wiggling antics all over again! Unworthy of a very talented player!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 08 Sep 2019, 17:05

I blame Johnson, Gary that is not Boris
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

ashman

Post by ashman » 13 Sep 2019, 15:22

On top of Marcus's award the team get the performance of the week against Sunderland!

https://www.theposh.com/news/2019/septe ... n5eTRUSyKA