Posh v Sunderland

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Poshay

Re: Posh v Sunderland

Post by Poshay » 31 Aug 2019, 22:48

'Twas a very enjoyable game but in the euphoria I haven't forgotten that at half time I felt that Sunderland must have felt they had won that half convincingly ; they had played all the football yet came in a goal down. Posh were much better in the second half and were more incisive in their finishing and were well worth the three points in the end, easing off after going 3 up and sparing 9 man Sunderland further punishment.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 31 Aug 2019, 23:13

DaveLister wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 21:04
Well, thats three wins in a row.

No sign of Gaz or Whitey. That's odd.
:lol:
No doubt they're trying to work out the best way to say "we won despite Fergie".
Being happy never goes out of style

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 31 Aug 2019, 23:25

Today we totally outplayed a team considered favourites for promotion. Towards the end Sunderland were in damage limitation mode (even before the sendings off). A fantastic display throughout the team.Well played Posh.

ashman

Post by ashman » 01 Sep 2019, 09:19

Three league wins on the trot, nine goals scored and none conceded. Attendances beginning slowly to inch forward! No surprise there then as a winning team will almost always swell the supporter fanbase. 4-0 last week against MK looks to have been a relatively easy job and yesterday's result was a lot harder to negotiate after The Mackems had been on a run of five straight wins. This all goes to show how quickly the fortunes on the pitch can change so very readily. We could win the next half dozen games or equally lose six but this really proves nothing in the scheme of things. Football is a wonderful game and it always keeps us guessing as to where we are in the pyramid and how quickly situations can change. Keep the faith Posh fans and hope we can keep this early season run going.

Pym: Very little to do - a decisive punch away, save a shot and come and collect a few crosses that he did very well.

Butler: Did a good job in the absence of FBT. Wonderful that we can bring in a player that can at last (after a dodgy couple of games) be relied upon.

Beevers: Probably his best game since joining us. Dominant and becoming a real giant in defence.

Kent: Still needs to work on his positioning at times but it is great to have a central defender who is willing to advance and bring out the ball when he gets the chance.

Mason: Seems to be growing into the job and will provide good competition for Thompson when he gets fully fit.

Knight: Rapidly becoming that midfield hard man that we have lacked for a long while. Superb goal to his credit too!

Boyd: What can you say about the man? Still so fit and seems to be drifting further out towards his 'normal' territory on the wing. Dembele won't get a look in if George continues in this vein (he can't or won't drop back and defend like Boydie!)

Maddison: As always, makes things happen when he gets on the ball. Two goals and an all round superb display.

Reed: Small in stature but immense in the influence he has on this team. Lying deep, clears up if required but his range of passing and ability to get the team going is undeniable.

Toney: You will rarely see a centre forward who works as hard as Ivan Toney. Yes, he missed a couple of good chances but no one was more frustrated than Ivan himself. Superb at defending in our box too.

Eisa: Not quite so effective today. Didn't seem to be playing close enough to Toney to really benefit. He had one good effort saved by their keeper.

Subs:

Thompson for Mason: Looks to play the simple ball to the players around him. I like that! Looked a little bit 'Lee Tomlin' to me but I am sure that Craig Smith (fitness and conditioning coach) will soon sort that out!

Burrows for Knight: Got another run out as we were coasting at this point but the lad showed just what a wonderful prospect he is.

Dembele for Eisa: Wonderfully skilful player who is still learning when to lift his head, make a decision if he can pass, shoot or carry on with the ball at his feet. He seems to be taking too long to learn this skill!

Referee: Did a good job, booking McLaughlin, Power, Leadbitter, double booking Wyke for a red and showing a straight red to O'Nien. Sunderland completely lost the plot in the final minutes and showed that they don't like losing!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 01 Sep 2019, 10:26

Steamy Nin wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 23:25
Today we totally outplayed a team considered favourites for promotion.
Good point Steamy Nin.
Poshay told us that our combined wisdom showed Sunderland as favourites to come first.
Poshay wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 12:03
Our combined wisdom gives :-

1 Sunderland
2 P'boro
-------------
3 Portsmouth
4 Ipswich
5 Rotherham
6 Lincoln
-------------
7 Coventry C
8 Blackpool
9 Burton
10 Doncaster R
11 Oxford
12 MK Dons
13 Fleetwood
14 Tranmere
15 Shrewsbury T
16 Bristol R
17 Wimbledon
18 Accrington
19 Gillingham
20 Southend U
21 Wycombe
22 Rochdale
23 Bolton
24 Bury

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 01 Sep 2019, 16:48

Sadly I don’t think bury will be 24th

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 01 Sep 2019, 18:27

ashman wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 09:19
Three league wins on the trot, nine goals scored and none conceded. Attendances beginning slowly to inch forward! No surprise there then as a winning team will almost always swell the supporter fanbase. 4-0 last week against MK looks to have been a relatively easy job and yesterday's result was a lot harder to negotiate after The Mackems had been on a run of five straight wins. This all goes to show how quickly the fortunes on the pitch can change so very readily. We could win the next half dozen games or equally lose six but this really proves nothing in the scheme of things. Football is a wonderful game and it always keeps us guessing as to where we are in the pyramid and how quickly situations can change. Keep the faith Posh fans and hope we can keep this early season run going.

Pym: Very little to do - a decisive punch away, save a shot and come and collect a few crosses that he did very well.

Butler: Did a good job in the absence of FBT. Wonderful that we can bring in a player that can at last (after a dodgy couple of games) be relied upon.

Beevers: Probably his best game since joining us. Dominant and becoming a real giant in defence.

Kent: Still needs to work on his positioning at times but it is great to have a central defender who is willing to advance and bring out the ball when he gets the chance.

Mason: Seems to be growing into the job and will provide good competition for Thompson when he gets fully fit.

Knight: Rapidly becoming that midfield hard man that we have lacked for a long while. Superb goal to his credit too!

Boyd: What can you say about the man? Still so fit and seems to be drifting further out towards his 'normal' territory on the wing. Dembele won't get a look in if George continues in this vein (he can't or won't drop back and defend like Boydie!)

Maddison: As always, makes things happen when he gets on the ball. Two goals and an all round superb display.

Reed: Small in stature but immense in the influence he has on this team. Lying deep, clears up if required but his range of passing and ability to get the team going is undeniable.

Toney: You will rarely see a centre forward who works as hard as Ivan Toney. Yes, he missed a couple of good chances but no one was more frustrated than Ivan himself. Superb at defending in our box too.

Eisa: Not quite so effective today. Didn't seem to be playing close enough to Toney to really benefit. He had one good effort saved by their keeper.

Subs:

Thompson for Mason: Looks to play the simple ball to the players around him. I like that! Looked a little bit 'Lee Tomlin' to me but I am sure that Craig Smith (fitness and conditioning coach) will soon sort that out!

Burrows for Knight: Got another run out as we were coasting at this point but the lad showed just what a wonderful prospect he is.

Dembele for Eisa: Wonderfully skilful player who is still learning when to lift his head, make a decision if he can pass, shoot or carry on with the ball at his feet. He seems to be taking too long to learn this skill!

Referee: Did a good job, booking McLaughlin, Power, Leadbitter, double booking Wyke for a red and showing a straight red to O'Nien. Sunderland completely lost the plot in the final minutes and showed that they don't like losing!
very good summary, wyke should have received a straight red though

poshaussie

Post by poshaussie » 01 Sep 2019, 21:01

trevormans wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 16:48
Sadly I don’t think bury will be 24th
:stupid:
I not even sure that Sunderland will be first now.
Up the Posh!

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 01 Sep 2019, 23:53

Brianposh wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 19:52
A great game of football. Maddison, Boyd, Reed and the Referee all joint men of the Match. Third goal in particular very special.
I didn't see anything especially admirable in the third goal: from where I sat, it looked like a follow up to a blocked Boyd cross, with the ball possibly taking a slight deflection off a defender in front of an unsighted goalkeeper; not a thing of beauty (the goal, not the goalkeeper). On the other hand, Knight's goal, set up by a nonchalantly-rolled pass by Reed, reminded me of Pele setting up Carlos Alberto for Brazil's fourth in the 1970 World Cup final. End-to-end move; five (?) passes, emphatic, first-time finish.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 01 Sep 2019, 23:58

tonyp wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 17:17
tonyp wrote:
24 Aug 2019, 16:06
JohnC wrote:
24 Aug 2019, 15:19

We had sixteen points after our first six League One games last season, so I'm not sure what can be usefully taken from the Rotherham manager's comment.
I don't think he was comparing to the Posh last season.
Im not even sure he's right. I just like his comment. After six games this season we might have a better idea of where we're going.
We've played six games.
We might have a better idea of where we're going.
And after seven games, we might have a better idea of where we're going. And after eight....repeat and fade. Eventually, we'll be reminded that 'time will tell'. Now, that sounds familiar.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 02 Sep 2019, 05:54

JohnC wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 23:58
And after seven games, we might have a better idea of where we're going. And after eight....repeat and fade. Eventually, we'll be reminded that 'time will tell'. Now, that sounds familiar.
Quite correct John.
And after 44 games we'll know how we went!
Time will have told.

ashman

Post by ashman » 02 Sep 2019, 07:45

JohnC wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 23:53
I didn't see anything especially admirable in the third goal: from where I sat, it looked like a follow up to a blocked Boyd cross, with the ball possibly taking a slight deflection off a defender in front of an unsighted goalkeeper; not a thing of beauty (the goal, not the goalkeeper). On the other hand, Knight's goal, set up by a nonchalantly-rolled pass by Reed, reminded me of Pele setting up Carlos Alberto for Brazil's fourth in the 1970 World Cup final. End-to-end move; five (?) passes, emphatic, first-time finish.
The second goal was superb. Much credit must go to Eisa too, whose cross-field pass to Mason was played on by Reed who played a superb pass out to Knight to finish in style.
You undermine the quality of the third goal. It was started way out on the right by Maddison who played another of his superb cross field passes out to Boyd on the left. It's true it took a deflection from Boyd but Maddison had run the width of the pitch to finish first time through the defenders legs!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 02 Sep 2019, 09:12

Not safe viewing, but very funny https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=938349086518834
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 02 Sep 2019, 09:54

JohnC wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 23:53
Brianposh wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 19:52
A great game of football. Maddison, Boyd, Reed and the Referee all joint men of the Match. Third goal in particular very special.
The actual move started 2-3 minutes before your "description" of the actual goal with Maddison very deep back in the LB position and involved several passes. The game is a whole not the last kick only. It was a very, very good goal as confirmed later by Fergie.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 02 Sep 2019, 09:59

bristleposh wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 09:12
Not safe viewing, but very funny https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=938349086518834
:lol: Very funny indeed.