Alex Woodyard and Jason Naismith

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Alex Woodyard and Jason Naismith

Post by ashman » 18 Aug 2019, 09:01

Both of them 100% triers but maybe in this league not quite up to the levels we require. After Woody was missing from the named squad I wondered what was going on. Apparently he and Jason both want to find another club in order to play regular first team football. Get selling Barry!
Good luck to them both.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Re: Alex Woodyard and Jason Naismith

Post by bristleposh » 18 Aug 2019, 09:18

I think both have been given a bum deal, Naismith towards the end of last season was far better than Mason has proved thus far, and Woodyard imo was far superior to Reid, they are distinctively different styles of player but I'd prefer the former any day of the week. I think we are going to be losing two very good squad players because of the system we play. How do we fit three attacking misfield players into a side along with two strikers, especially when none of the three can be relied upon to do much defensively. I'd love to see Tasdemir given a chance in the starting line up, but how can he be found a berth when we have Dembele, Maddison and Boyd (OK so St George is being tried as a more defensive midfielder, but imo he is wasted in that role) Ward is the only one of the 'flair' players who can realistically put in a shift as a defender and he appears to be way down the list and is only thrust on in place of a striker as a last resort.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 18 Aug 2019, 10:03

ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 09:01
Good luck to them both.
:stupid:
Being happy never goes out of style

ashman

Post by ashman » 18 Aug 2019, 11:02

bristleposh wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 09:18
I think both have been given a bum deal, Naismith towards the end of last season was far better than Mason has proved thus far, and Woodyard imo was far superior to Reid, they are distinctively different styles of player but I'd prefer the former any day of the week. I think we are going to be losing two very good squad players because of the system we play. How do we fit three attacking misfield players into a side along with two strikers, especially when none of the three can be relied upon to do much defensively. I'd love to see Tasdemir given a chance in the starting line up, but how can he be found a berth when we have Dembele, Maddison and Boyd (OK so St George is being tried as a more defensive midfielder, but imo he is wasted in that role) Ward is the only one of the 'flair' players who can realistically put in a shift as a defender and he appears to be way down the list and is only thrust on in place of a striker as a last resort.
I have no doubt that the right back position will be occupied by Nathan Thompson as soon as he is fit. Mason will do capably as an understudy and is much cheaper with lots of potential to come. Naismith would never compete enough to dislodge Thompson in that position anyway, ergo he asks to move on!
Reed has far more creative skills than Woodyard and with Knight (hard working and hard as nails) starting to do the dirty work in midfield they could just be the midfield that we have been missing.
Tasdemir is fine on the bench for now and Boyd, Dembele and Maddison are almost shoe-ins. Ward has been completely pushed out with the arrival of Frazer Blake-Tracy and could well be the next one to ask for a move. We need to trim this squad down and it is beginning to look as though it is going to be a touch ruthless.

Reed (note spelling) is genuinely hard working with bags of creative flair. He needs a good run in the first team. Woodyard has had that and affected very little.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 18 Aug 2019, 20:56

ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:02
bristleposh wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 09:18
I have no doubt that the right back position will be occupied by Nathan Thompson as soon as he is fit. Mason will do capably as an understudy and is much cheaper with lots of potential to come. Naismith would never compete enough to dislodge Thompson in that position anyway, ergo he asks to move on!
Reed has far more creative skills than Woodyard and with Knight (hard working and hard as nails) starting to do the dirty work in midfield they could just be the midfield that we have been missing.
Tasdemir is fine on the bench for now and Boyd, Dembele and Maddison are almost shoe-ins. Ward has been completely pushed out with the arrival of Frazer Blake-Tracy and could well be the next one to ask for a move. We need to trim this squad down and it is beginning to look as though it is going to be a touch ruthless.

Reed (note spelling) is genuinely hard working with bags of creative flair. He needs a good run in the first team. Woodyard has had that and affected very little.
Correct Ashman. btw Mason did very well yesterday. Knight was outstanding.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 18 Aug 2019, 20:57

ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:02

Good post, agree with it all.

Woodyard has been a very poor signing. Lincoln fans were gutted when he left & I thought we’d signed a gem. However, he runs around a lot but can’t pass wind and even his tackling is nothing special.

Naismith will be no loss either. Just an average right back that are all over league one & two. We need better.

Reed is going to be a class act. His passing is brilliant and I hope he’s given a fair crack this season.
I have no internet friends

ashman

Post by ashman » 19 Aug 2019, 07:36

Wycliffe wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 20:56
Correct Ashman. btw Mason did very well yesterday. Knight was outstanding.
I have said elsewhere that Mason has had harsh treatment by some fans. Against Ipswich he had a good solid game. He has committed fouls that have lead to goals but at least he is getting stuck in! Knight will become totally indispensable to that Posh midfield.
At Oxford in the Happy Shopper Cup last Tuesday, Mason replaced Naismith at right back on 70 minutes. Five minutes later there was a double substitution involving Ward and Harrison Burrows replacing Boyd and Reed. Ward went to right back and Burrows went into midfield. For the remaining 15 minutes Mason was played very well in midfield and really caught the eye but unfortunately also conceded the free kick that lead to the goal.
In another aside, what on earth has happened to Dan Butler? He looked like a world beater playing for Newport in last years League Two playoff final. He began our pre season in sparkling form too and then strangely went right 'off the ball' and has appeared to a lot of fans as a poor signing and a complete novice. There is a lot more to come from this lad I would suggest but with Frazer Blake-Tracy coming in it looks like he will become a backup for the rest of the season. So that means that both our initial fullbacks, on which a lot was expected, will have been relegated to the subs bench and replaced by FBT and Thompson!