Re: Southend away

Post by tonyp » 20 Aug 2019, 20:34

Half time 0-0
Southend fans are happy.
Being happy never goes out of style

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 20 Aug 2019, 20:58

Soon as we put Maddison wide we score. Get Boyd off!!
I have no internet friends

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 20 Aug 2019, 21:00

Maddison should play wherever he wants. Then pick the other 10 players

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 20 Aug 2019, 21:10

Knight also struggling with the diamond. Thank god for Reed & Maddison in the middle.

I’d have Dembele on

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 20 Aug 2019, 21:17

0-2 could easily have been more. :comeon:
Fergie is smiling.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 20 Aug 2019, 21:43

Here we go then. We're climbing the table and will soon be in the top six.
Well done Fergie!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 20 Aug 2019, 22:10

Three quarters of an hour gone of a game gone in which we had been on top for most of a d Gaz wants to disrupt the side. Maddison got two assists, but the first was made by Toney and Boyd, but they will get no credit.
A far more secure performance from all of the back four, but a lot of that was down to how poor Sarfend were, Reed was outstanding, Knight seems to not be very comfortable in that position on the right. Despite the commentator and expert on Radio Scum suggesting that Ward was a bizarre choice to come on for Knight at left back, perhaps they were watching a different game to me, but I feel we'd have been better balanced with award starting in that position opposite Boyd, who once again (despite what Gaz says) was very good once again. Maddison does what Maddison does out of the game for much of it, then bang bang two goals created. Eisa and mom in my opinion Ivan Toney are beginning to fire on all cylinders. You can only beat what's in front of you and to be fair Southend were P poor, a far greater test arrives on Saturday if the front fife and Reed play as well as they can, I think we'll win.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 20 Aug 2019, 22:13

bristleposh wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 22:10
a far greater test arrives on Saturday if the front fife and Reed play as well as they can, I think we'll win.
:stupid:
We have started the uphill climb and will continue on Saturday.

ashman

Post by ashman » 21 Aug 2019, 01:18

To suggest that Boyd and Knight were struggling is ridiculous. Playing in the diamond like they did is very taxing but they both did a sterling job. Marcus Maddison was absolutely spot on again with his assists.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 21 Aug 2019, 07:37

ashman wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 01:18
To suggest that Boyd and Knight were struggling is ridiculous. Playing in the diamond like they did is very taxing but they both did a sterling job. Marcus Maddison was absolutely spot on again with his assists.
Ferguson admitted we lost the midfield at times during the game. That is not doing a 'sterling' job.

The problem as I see it is that we are trying to accommodate George Boyd, come what may. He's played central midfield, at the tip of the diamond and now left of the diamond - all in just five matches.

When we resigned him, Ferguson said he will be a central midfielder running the show - an idea given up on after two or three games.

We already have the best left sided midfielder in the league, so there is no need to replace Marcus in that position. It was no fluke that both times Maddison went & hugged the touchline he produced two 'premiership' standard crosses. He has five assists in four games. We shouldn't be wasting that talent just to fit another player in.

Fergie needs to sort it out.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Aug 2019, 08:18

Gaz_Miller wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 07:37

We already have the best left sided midfielder in the league, so there is no need to replace Marcus in that position. It was no fluke that both times Maddison went & hugged the touchline he produced two 'premiership' standard crosses. He has five assists in four games. We shouldn't be wasting that talent just to fit another player in.

As much as I think Marcus is a wonderful talent to suggest he is being replaced by Boydy is ridiculous, in that position Boyd is replacing Dembele, as Marcus has been included most often on the right side so that he cut in and use his stronger hoof.
In the good old days of Hales and McNamee, the right footed Billy Hales played on the right so he could go past the defender and then cross with his stronger foot, the goal MM created at Reading was done in exactly that way despite that not being his stronger foot.
If we are going to play the diamond, then neither Marcus nor Dembele can be relied upon to do the defensive part of the job, but once again playing square pegs in round holes (ie Knght and Boyd, both strong defensively) doesn't for me work. To accomodate Knight in the side in midfield needs to be in a flat 4-4-2 with him and Reed as the central two. I think then MM on the left wing and Dembele on the right is our stongest current option. It is almost impossible to accomodate all three and Tasdemir into a system, that will not leave us short defensively.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

ashman

Post by ashman » 21 Aug 2019, 09:20

I can't believe what is being said by would be world beater managers saying what they would do and what they would not do. Last night was a superb away win and performance. I don't think I have ever watched a game of football when a winning team isn't put under the cosh for a few minutes, and maybe more than once, during a game. That is exactly what happened last night. We were so far on top during most of the first half apart and yet failed to score. Maybe it was frustration but in the last quarter of an hour Southend tried hard to run at us in the middle and then switched to playing it out wide. It was a well sorted tactic.
In the second half we came out strongly again. (this makes a change; how many times have we conceded a goal at the beginning of a game or straight after half time?) We quickly scored two superbly worked goals. Before this a wonderful chance was put on the plate by a delicate Maddison chip to Toney who unfortunately blazed the ball just wide of goal. Boyd hit the outside of the post using his right foot when it looked as if it was going in. The first goal came early in the half which involved Toney (in his own half) Boyd, Reed and finally Maddison, on the left this time, placing a perfect ball into Eisa who finished in style. Top class goal!
The second goal was even slicker in its execution - great pressing by Posh until possession was gained by Knight who sent Maddison on his way (on the right this time) As we have come to expect he played a great ball into Toney who expertly controlled the ball with his chest before half-volleying it past the Southend keeper. Eisa nearly had a brace, twisting and turning in the area before firing on target to the left of the goal, where the keeper held onto the ball superbly. 2-0 up and there isn't a team in the land who doesn't slacken off a bit when in this sort of position. Southend hit the bar from a corner in the closing minutes and that was about it. UTP
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 21 Aug 2019, 13:26

If I can not go to a match I have decided I am never going to watch it on ifollow if people's comments on here are based on whatever they see on that stream Laughing

Let's forget the opposition because no side ever lies down and dies in pro football although I'll accept they had no real answer when we were swaggering which we were for the first half hour and we really should have gone in 3 up.

Toney whilst outstanding all night was guilty of a bad miss, difficult volley I'll grant you but he's good enough to put that way then does so with much more difficult a chance.

We did indeed switch off for a 15/20 minute spell and let them back in to it and even ifollow made that obvious.

Pym. Came off his line early on to claim a through ball and looked confident all game, probably enjoying not playing in front of the LRE arseholes. **** behind me cheered ironically so yes I turned on him, his defence was "it worked Saturday". *******' knob Nono

Mason. Does so well when actually in the game but seems to switch off and southend took advantage of his not concentrating numerous times. Defended and attacked ok when on the ball but lost his position too often.

Beevers. I don't give a **** about his few misplaced long balls, he defends like a CH should. Doesn't lose a header or last night a challenge, enjoyed kicking that annoying **** Cox so all football fans should be delighted.

Kent. Getting better and better imo. Comfortable although his inexperience sometimes shows when the ball is behind him.

Fraser Two Dads (C Dean Hobbs) . We've got one there lads. I deliberately watched him for a 20 minute spell second half when, again we let them in to the game and as per the rest of the game and v ipswich he just makes the right decisions. If the ball has to go it does but generally he plays it out intelligently and with purpose.

Reed. I thought he was outstanding. Good in the tackle, some good blocks and his passing was in the main accurate.

Boydy. Again it seems ifolow skews things a bit. It seems to be expected by some that he should have gained pace since he's been away as opposed to losing it like all players do. The lad put in a shift which is not to be admired by certain posters but is important if his skills that do still exist can't always be shown due to the style of the game. His shot that hit the post if it was even seen by the streamers was bloody outstanding and if that had gone in I think we'd have won even easier. Of course he ain't going to influence games like we naively hoped and sadly the CM experiment didn't work but for those who do think so I disagree it has been a return like that of CMS/Aaron/Tomlin.

MM. 2 of the most outstanding crosses you'll ever see in our level. I don't know if he was still hungover from his Saturday night adventures which he apologised for on social media but he looked generally sluggish at times. However that quality of ball in was worth the admission money alone.

Barn reckons we have a soft centre of midfield Laughing Not with the enforcer Knight on board mate. Another impressive game. His work ethic is impressive but his football intelligence equally so. He instinctively covered for Mason when he lost his position a couple of times but seconds later was breaking with the ball with consummate ease. If Leicester don't want him they must have some seriously impressive back up players is all I can say.

Eisa. Great movement to take advantage of that amazing cross by MM. Every so often he shows flashes like when he, with great close control he made himself an opportunity with a reverse shot which the keeper saved stretching every last sinew of his hands. Other times he looks interested, he lies down for minutes after any challenge, foul or not but with legs that thin I'm not surprised if he does get hurt. Playing close to his partner means the improvement we hoped for has been seen but there is much more to come I would say.

Toney. The lad's a monster Clap

He is now showing what we hoped he could be. Bullied the centre halves, defended set pieces brilliantly, worked hard going back when needed, spoke with Eisa time after time about where he should be and that partnership is promising. Took his goal absolutely brilliantly after a superb ball in from MM, someone bemoaned he misses chances but whilst that is true as has been seen regularly during his time with us if he didn't we'd have lost him a long time ago.

The above reviews do not mean everything was rosy so negatively we really should acknowledge that poor sides should be put to bed earlier and then they'll never get back in to the game.
One worry is that thus far this season none of our subs that I recall have actually made any kind of impact (Oxford in the league cup excluded as I wasn't there so can't/won't comment).
Dembele once again gave the ball away by running in to a dead end time after time.
Tasdemir tries hard but nothing seems to come off, maybe trying too hard.

Overall a decent, professional performance, it'll need to go up a notch on Saturday and ongoing.

Good turn out from POSH and one **** aside proper POSH getting behind their team, all the players.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 21 Aug 2019, 20:28

Great report Wycliffe.
Thanks for posting it.

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 21 Aug 2019, 23:24

Wycliffe wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 13:26
If I can not go to a match I have decided I am never going to watch it on ifollow if people's comments on here are based on whatever they see on that stream Laughing

Let's forget the opposition because no side ever lies down and dies in pro football although I'll accept they had no real answer when we were swaggering which we were for the first half hour and we really should have gone in 3 up.

Toney whilst outstanding all night was guilty of a bad miss, difficult volley I'll grant you but he's good enough to put that way then does so with much more difficult a chance.

We did indeed switch off for a 15/20 minute spell and let them back in to it and even ifollow made that obvious.

Pym. Came off his line early on to claim a through ball and looked confident all game, probably enjoying not playing in front of the LRE arseholes. **** behind me cheered ironically so yes I turned on him, his defence was "it worked Saturday". *******' knob Nono

Mason. Does so well when actually in the game but seems to switch off and southend took advantage of his not concentrating numerous times. Defended and attacked ok when on the ball but lost his position too often.

Beevers. I don't give a **** about his few misplaced long balls, he defends like a CH should. Doesn't lose a header or last night a challenge, enjoyed kicking that annoying **** Cox so all football fans should be delighted.

Kent. Getting better and better imo. Comfortable although his inexperience sometimes shows when the ball is behind him.

Fraser Two Dads (C Dean Hobbs) . We've got one there lads. I deliberately watched him for a 20 minute spell second half when, again we let them in to the game and as per the rest of the game and v ipswich he just makes the right decisions. If the ball has to go it does but generally he plays it out intelligently and with purpose.

Reed. I thought he was outstanding. Good in the tackle, some good blocks and his passing was in the main accurate.

Boydy. Again it seems ifolow skews things a bit. It seems to be expected by some that he should have gained pace since he's been away as opposed to losing it like all players do. The lad put in a shift which is not to be admired by certain posters but is important if his skills that do still exist can't always be shown due to the style of the game. His shot that hit the post if it was even seen by the streamers was bloody outstanding and if that had gone in I think we'd have won even easier. Of course he ain't going to influence games like we naively hoped and sadly the CM experiment didn't work but for those who do think so I disagree it has been a return like that of CMS/Aaron/Tomlin.

MM. 2 of the most outstanding crosses you'll ever see in our level. I don't know if he was still hungover from his Saturday night adventures which he apologised for on social media but he looked generally sluggish at times. However that quality of ball in was worth the admission money alone.

Barn reckons we have a soft centre of midfield Laughing Not with the enforcer Knight on board mate. Another impressive game. His work ethic is impressive but his football intelligence equally so. He instinctively covered for Mason when he lost his position a couple of times but seconds later was breaking with the ball with consummate ease. If Leicester don't want him they must have some seriously impressive back up players is all I can say.

Eisa. Great movement to take advantage of that amazing cross by MM. Every so often he shows flashes like when he, with great close control he made himself an opportunity with a reverse shot which the keeper saved stretching every last sinew of his hands. Other times he looks interested, he lies down for minutes after any challenge, foul or not but with legs that thin I'm not surprised if he does get hurt. Playing close to his partner means the improvement we hoped for has been seen but there is much more to come I would say.

Toney. The lad's a monster Clap

He is now showing what we hoped he could be. Bullied the centre halves, defended set pieces brilliantly, worked hard going back when needed, spoke with Eisa time after time about where he should be and that partnership is promising. Took his goal absolutely brilliantly after a superb ball in from MM, someone bemoaned he misses chances but whilst that is true as has been seen regularly during his time with us if he didn't we'd have lost him a long time ago.

The above reviews do not mean everything was rosy so negatively we really should acknowledge that poor sides should be put to bed earlier and then they'll never get back in to the game.
One worry is that thus far this season none of our subs that I recall have actually made any kind of impact (Oxford in the league cup excluded as I wasn't there so can't/won't comment).
Dembele once again gave the ball away by running in to a dead end time after time.
Tasdemir tries hard but nothing seems to come off, maybe trying too hard.

Overall a decent, professional performance, it'll need to go up a notch on Saturday and ongoing.

Good turn out from POSH and one **** aside proper POSH getting behind their team, all the players.
Great report from someone who was there. Thanks