Posh v Ipswich

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 412
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by Gaz_Miller » 17 Aug 2019, 20:35

bristleposh wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 19:50
Did you actually watch that game, he was superb, most of our defending down the left hand side and the attacking was down to him and Tracy Barlow, if the right hand side had been as defensively secure we wouldn't have been in such difficulty at the back. I'm prepare to forgive Mason as we're only four games in but two free kicks conceded which gave goals away, and one today that really should have been a red card, and could well have cost us another goal, needs to eradicate from his game. Who on earth was supposed to be marking the goal scorer at the death.
If you thought George Boyd was 'superb', then quite frankly you have no understanding of the game whatsoever.

Just because he runs a lot does not mean he's playing well.

He's so slow it's untrue, his passing is ok if he keeps it under 10 yards and his clearances from defence almost reached the edge of the box - our box.


Back to the game (for those who understand), the new left back had a corker, Beavers looked solid, Kent was ok but a sending off waiting to happen & Mason needs replacing by the new guy.
Reed was superb in the middle - the only midfielder on the books who can pass it. Knight is aggressive but sometimes looks like a centre half playing in midfield. Eisa was ok, not brilliant but hopefully the goal will get him going. Then there was Maddison & Toney - where would be without their assists and goals?

I think we would have won if Ferguson had replaced Boyd with Dembele with 20 minutes to go. That would have kept us on the front foot rather than dropping deeper and deeper. Toney was the only outlet at the end & he was knackered.
I have no internet friends

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17872
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by ashman » 18 Aug 2019, 08:38

It's all about opinions Gaz and to suggest that their opinion differs from yours and then to pontificate that they have 'no understanding of the game whatsoever' is ridiculous. It is an ego filled comment. You are welcome to forward your opinions but please don't diminish the comments of others.

FWIW:
Pym - A mistake early on and maybe an opposition shove to help him! After that, the sarcastic cheers when he caught a ball was ridiculous. He then shoved those jeers down their throats by making three top notch saves and a penalty save. Normally this would be close to a MOTM award!
Beevers - getting better by the game. He, and Kent now seem to be realising that Fergie doesn't want them to hoof the ball out of defence at the slightest opportunity.
Kent - As above and proving to be a good honest defender.
Eisa - the most improved player after the first few games. (he needed to be!) Really put in a shift and was awake to the chance to get his first league goal in Posh colours.
Knight - superb efforts but I'm not sure that he really knows where he should be playing. A commanding presence and good with ball at his feet. He is going to be vital in that midfield for us.
Maddison - Didn't really get the service he needs to be wholly effective but when he does he shows just how good he is.
Reed - Great little competitor. Not afraid to put his foot in and as Gaz says his passing is far above others around him. 21 years old and fully deserves a good run in the team.
Toney - Superb, end of! His energy on and off the ball, his defending and heading ability is so good it is easy to see why DMac and Co turned down a reported £4m. He and Eisa are beginning to realise that if they play a little closer to each other then a lot more can be achieved. (Oh, and congratulations on your new born baby son!)
Blake-Tracey - Could this young man really have been playing for Kings Lynn last year? Good defensively, tough in the tackle and not afraid to advance forward and put in meaningful crosses for the forwards. Brilliant, MOTM for me.
Boyd - Very close to MOTM for me. His energy, covering back, passing and all round ability to show others how to shield and turn in situations is almost up to his former Posh levels. He has also learned to head a ball! (although not always in a meaningful manner!)
Mason - A lad who has garnered a lot of unwelcome criticism IMO. The free kicks he has conceded have unfortunately often lead to goals or goal scoring opportunities for oppositions. I think a lot of people overlook his defending abilities and the way he is showing others how to take a proper throw in! I'm sure that Nathan Thompson will replace him if he proves to be fit enough.

Subs:
Tasdemir - 15 minutes where he put in plenty of effort after replacing Marcus. Showed awareness and nearly snatched a goal from the Holy one's hands! (Tomas not anyone else!)
Ward - 6 minutes after replacing Eisa, maybe only to run down the final minutes. (fail - running down the minutes, not Ward!)
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19753
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by tonyp » 18 Aug 2019, 09:52

ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:38
Pym - A mistake early on and maybe an opposition shove to help him! After that, the sarcastic cheers when he caught a ball was ridiculous. He then shoved those jeers down their throats by making three top notch saves and a penalty save. Normally this would be close to a MOTM award!
From what I've read about Pym he is not as good as you seem to think.
That penalty would have been stopped by Blind Freddie, for example. If it had been a properly taken penalty it would have ben in the back of the net and we might have lost.
I'm not sure it would then have been "close to a MOTM award!"
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17872
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by ashman » 18 Aug 2019, 11:10

tonyp wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 09:52
ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:38
Pym - A mistake early on and maybe an opposition shove to help him! After that, the sarcastic cheers when he caught a ball was ridiculous. He then shoved those jeers down their throats by making three top notch saves and a penalty save. Normally this would be close to a MOTM award!
From what I've read about Pym he is not as good as you seem to think.
That penalty would have been stopped by Blind Freddie, for example. If it had been a properly taken penalty it would have ben in the back of the net and we might have lost.
I'm not sure it would then have been "close to a MOTM award!"
Exactly!! :lol: I've not only 'read about him' but have watched him closely through all the games home and away and all through pre-season. You don't get voted 'Player of the Season' at a former club two years on the trot unless you are a very special player.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe
Posts: 1920
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by Wycliffe » 18 Aug 2019, 11:36

tonyp wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 09:52
ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:38
Pym - A mistake early on and maybe an opposition shove to help him! After that, the sarcastic cheers when he caught a ball was ridiculous. He then shoved those jeers down their throats by making three top notch saves and a penalty save. Normally this would be close to a MOTM award!
From what I've read about Pym he is not as good as you seem to think.
That penalty would have been stopped by Blind Freddie, for example. If it had been a properly taken penalty it would have ben in the back of the net and we might have lost.
I'm not sure it would then have been "close to a MOTM award!"
always make me laff when people describe a good or bad penalty kick execution.

If it goes in it's good. Ergo if it does not it's bad.

It really is that simple.

OUR keeper made a decision, the taker didn't hit it well but if he'd hit it in exactly the same manner the other way it is a successful pen.

imo he'll be fine, he'll make mistakes but overall he'll prove better than his 2 colleagues, sure as hell Chapman would not have even come for that cross and if Bievers had got out the way there'd have been no drama.

After that he was excellent despite his centre half tried to drop him in the clag 2 minutes later with a dreadful back pass, who needs enemies with mates like that :lol:

As for those who ridiculed (supposedly) THEIR keeper, don't come back

pleasureboy60
Posts: 285
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by pleasureboy60 » 18 Aug 2019, 14:55

ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:38
It's all about opinions Gaz and to suggest that their opinion differs from yours and then to pontificate that they have 'no understanding of the game whatsoever' is ridiculous. It is an ego filled comment. You are welcome to forward your opinions but please don't diminish the comments of others.

FWIW:
Pym - A mistake early on and maybe an opposition shove to help him! After that, the sarcastic cheers when he caught a ball was ridiculous. He then shoved those jeers down their throats by making three top notch saves and a penalty save. Normally this would be close to a MOTM award!
Beevers - getting better by the game. He, and Kent now seem to be realising that Fergie doesn't want them to hoof the ball out of defence at the slightest opportunity.
Kent - As above and proving to be a good honest defender.
Eisa - the most improved player after the first few games. (he needed to be!) Really put in a shift and was awake to the chance to get his first league goal in Posh colours.
Knight - superb efforts but I'm not sure that he really knows where he should be playing. A commanding presence and good with ball at his feet. He is going to be vital in that midfield for us.
Maddison - Didn't really get the service he needs to be wholly effective but when he does he shows just how good he is.
Reed - Great little competitor. Not afraid to put his foot in and as Gaz says his passing is far above others around him. 21 years old and fully deserves a good run in the team.
Toney - Superb, end of! His energy on and off the ball, his defending and heading ability is so good it is easy to see why DMac and Co turned down a reported £4m. He and Eisa are beginning to realise that if they play a little closer to each other then a lot more can be achieved. (Oh, and congratulations on your new born baby son!)
Blake-Tracey - Could this young man really have been playing for Kings Lynn last year? Good defensively, tough in the tackle and not afraid to advance forward and put in meaningful crosses for the forwards. Brilliant, MOTM for me.
Boyd - Very close to MOTM for me. His energy, covering back, passing and all round ability to show others how to shield and turn in situations is almost up to his former Posh levels. He has also learned to head a ball! (although not always in a meaningful manner!)
Mason - A lad who has garnered a lot of unwelcome criticism IMO. The free kicks he has conceded have unfortunately often lead to goals or goal scoring opportunities for oppositions. I think a lot of people overlook his defending abilities and the way he is showing others how to take a proper throw in! I'm sure that Nathan Thompson will replace him if he proves to be fit enough.

Subs:
Tasdemir - 15 minutes where he put in plenty of effort after replacing Marcus. Showed awareness and nearly snatched a goal from the Holy one's hands! (Tomas not anyone else!)
Ward - 6 minutes after replacing Eisa, maybe only to run down the final minutes. (fail - running down the minutes, not Ward!)
I'm not sure what game you were watching yesterday, but it was certainly a far different one to me!
I think Boyd offers absolutely nothing to the team and for the life of me, i cant understand why we keep bringing these old players back. It didn't work with Mackail Smith or Tomlin and Boyd is no exception. He has no pace, vision or energy and looks completely out of place in that midfield role. Never influenced the game at all yesterday and should have been withdrawn at half time.
As for Eisa, he has not impressed me at all. Apart from the goal yesterday, his general play was woeful. Falls over with every challenge, movement is poor, cant head a ball and compared to Toney, doesn't put enough effort in. Reminds me of Tyrone Barnett and we all now what a waste of money he was!
Why on earth we let Godden go is beyond me. Godden over Eisa any day!
From what ive seen of posh this season, we have still not resolved the issue of midfield. We are crying out for an attacking, box to box midfielder. both Reed and Knight play far to deep and at times yesterday all we were doing was hoofing the ball up to the two strikers. they want service from both wings and midfield and apart from Blake Tracey who supplied several sublime crosses. The service to the front two was poor all game and I lost count how many times Toney was having to collect the ball in midfield.
For me, Woodyard is a big miss. He would be the first player on my team sheet playing just in front of the back four with Reed and knight playing much more forward supplying balls to the front two.
We all know Fergie is not the greatest tactician in the world, but his team selection at times beggars belief.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17872
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by ashman » 18 Aug 2019, 15:49

As I have said many times, 'Watching football is all about opinions!' :roll:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19753
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by tonyp » 18 Aug 2019, 20:59

Wycliffe wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:36

always make me laff when people describe a good or bad penalty kick execution.

If it goes in it's good. Ergo if it does not it's bad.

It really is that simple.
You do "laff" easily, don't you?

But you are right. It is simple. If t goes in it's the way it should be. If it doesn't then the penalty was missed.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19753
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by tonyp » 18 Aug 2019, 21:04

Wycliffe wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:36
Pym - imo he'll be fine, he'll make mistakes but overall he'll prove better than his 2 colleagues
Maybe that's the problem. It seems to me that a lot of the fans think we could do with a better goalie.
Of course the fans have been known to be wrong.
Being happy never goes out of style

Steamy Nin
Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Mar 2017, 17:11

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by Steamy Nin » 19 Aug 2019, 08:38

Interesting that there were 4,000 Ipswich fans from a TOWN with a population of 133,000 while there were just 6,000 home fans from a CITY of 196,000.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28656
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by bristleposh » 19 Aug 2019, 08:47

Steamy Nin wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 08:38
Interesting that there were 4,000 Ipswich fans from a TOWN with a population of 133,000 while there were just 6,000 home fans from a CITY of 196,000.
Easily explained, Peterborough is a city that the majority of the population was from overspill from London, whereas Ipswich is a long established town it's own right. People who moved up to P'boro in the fifties and sixties already had their footballing allegencies at places like Arsenal Spurs West Ham Chelsea etc, and then you get the newcomers who follow on TV the latest champions Liverpool, Man City, and the knobheads who support ManU.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17872
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by ashman » 19 Aug 2019, 10:10

bristleposh wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 08:47
Steamy Nin wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 08:38
Interesting that there were 4,000 Ipswich fans from a TOWN with a population of 133,000 while there were just 6,000 home fans from a CITY of 196,000.
Easily explained, Peterborough is a city that the majority of the population was from overspill from London, whereas Ipswich is a long established town it's own right. People who moved up to P'boro in the fifties and sixties already had their footballing allegencies at places like Arsenal Spurs West Ham Chelsea etc, and then you get the newcomers who follow on TV the latest champions Liverpool, Man City, and the knobheads who support ManU.
Agreed about the crowds and also we are on a mainline train and road network that has easy access to the capital whereas Ipswich is a lot more difficult from which to navigate.
In times gone by Posh had entertained huge crowd as well. It's just that over the ensuing years Ipswich have had a lot of success whereas ours has been very limited.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

AndoverPoshFan
Posts: 272
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 21:42
Location: Andover

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by AndoverPoshFan » 19 Aug 2019, 20:19

Really enjoyed that one apart from the goal at the end but I had a feeling they would nick one.

Ipswich ain't all that and were clueless in the final 3rd. The goal was avoidable but that's football.

Disagree with some of the comments on here. Thought Boyd was chasing the ball down well and was surprised at his pace sometimes.

They tried to attack Mason at every opportunity and he dealt with most of it. Couple of silly mistakes but he is a good player.

Blake-tracey well what can I say very comfortable player. When he came on against Oxford he was so composed. He is a great find.

Eisa has class you can see that during warm ups etc. Did take his goal well exceptionally quick feet for that.

Toney was fouled left right and centre. That lino was having a mare. He must be so awkward to defend against. Such class.

Gutted but we will move on and the game against Southend is a winnable game.

JohnC
Posts: 883
Joined: 31 May 2011, 21:48

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by JohnC » 19 Aug 2019, 22:47

ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:38
It's all about opinions Gaz and to suggest that their opinion differs from yours and then to pontificate that they have 'no understanding of the game whatsoever' is ridiculous. It is an ego filled comment. You are welcome to forward your opinions but please don't diminish the comments of others.

FWIW:
Pym - A mistake early on and maybe an opposition shove to help him! After that, the sarcastic cheers when he caught a ball was ridiculous. He then shoved those jeers down their throats by making three top notch saves and a penalty save. Normally this would be close to a MOTM award!
Beevers - getting better by the game. He, and Kent now seem to be realising that Fergie doesn't want them to hoof the ball out of defence at the slightest opportunity.
Kent - As above and proving to be a good honest defender.
Eisa - the most improved player after the first few games. (he needed to be!) Really put in a shift and was awake to the chance to get his first league goal in Posh colours.
Knight - superb efforts but I'm not sure that he really knows where he should be playing. A commanding presence and good with ball at his feet. He is going to be vital in that midfield for us.
Maddison - Didn't really get the service he needs to be wholly effective but when he does he shows just how good he is.
Reed - Great little competitor. Not afraid to put his foot in and as Gaz says his passing is far above others around him. 21 years old and fully deserves a good run in the team.
Toney - Superb, end of! His energy on and off the ball, his defending and heading ability is so good it is easy to see why DMac and Co turned down a reported £4m. He and Eisa are beginning to realise that if they play a little closer to each other then a lot more can be achieved. (Oh, and congratulations on your new born baby son!)
Blake-Tracey - Could this young man really have been playing for Kings Lynn last year? Good defensively, tough in the tackle and not afraid to advance forward and put in meaningful crosses for the forwards. Brilliant, MOTM for me.
Boyd - Very close to MOTM for me. His energy, covering back, passing and all round ability to show others how to shield and turn in situations is almost up to his former Posh levels. He has also learned to head a ball! (although not always in a meaningful manner!)
Mason - A lad who has garnered a lot of unwelcome criticism IMO. The free kicks he has conceded have unfortunately often lead to goals or goal scoring opportunities for oppositions. I think a lot of people overlook his defending abilities and the way he is showing others how to take a proper throw in! I'm sure that Nathan Thompson will replace him if he proves to be fit enough.

Subs:
Tasdemir - 15 minutes where he put in plenty of effort after replacing Marcus. Showed awareness and nearly snatched a goal from the Holy one's hands! (Tomas not anyone else!)
Ward - 6 minutes after replacing Eisa, maybe only to run down the final minutes. (fail - running down the minutes, not Ward!)
Pym should be aware that we already have one cross-dropping, penalty-saving keeper on the books.

As both Beevers and Kent are new signings with a full pre-season under their belts, I can't imagine why they would think that the manage wants them to 'hoof the ball out of defence at the slightest opportunity'.
Kent's clumsiness prior to Fleetwood's third goal, and his concession of a penalty against Ipswich would give me pause before identifying him as 'a good, honest defender'. If Rhys Bennett had made those blunders, I suspect the reaction might have been a little more hostile.

Wycliffe
Posts: 1920
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Posh v Ipswich

Post by Wycliffe » 20 Aug 2019, 05:50

JohnC wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 22:47
ashman wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 08:38
It's all about opinions Gaz and to suggest that their opinion differs from yours and then to pontificate that they have 'no understanding of the game whatsoever' is ridiculous. It is an ego filled comment. You are welcome to forward your opinions but please don't diminish the comments of others.

FWIW:
Pym - A mistake early on and maybe an opposition shove to help him! After that, the sarcastic cheers when he caught a ball was ridiculous. He then shoved those jeers down their throats by making three top notch saves and a penalty save. Normally this would be close to a MOTM award!
Beevers - getting better by the game. He, and Kent now seem to be realising that Fergie doesn't want them to hoof the ball out of defence at the slightest opportunity.
Kent - As above and proving to be a good honest defender.
Eisa - the most improved player after the first few games. (he needed to be!) Really put in a shift and was awake to the chance to get his first league goal in Posh colours.
Knight - superb efforts but I'm not sure that he really knows where he should be playing. A commanding presence and good with ball at his feet. He is going to be vital in that midfield for us.
Maddison - Didn't really get the service he needs to be wholly effective but when he does he shows just how good he is.
Reed - Great little competitor. Not afraid to put his foot in and as Gaz says his passing is far above others around him. 21 years old and fully deserves a good run in the team.
Toney - Superb, end of! His energy on and off the ball, his defending and heading ability is so good it is easy to see why DMac and Co turned down a reported £4m. He and Eisa are beginning to realise that if they play a little closer to each other then a lot more can be achieved. (Oh, and congratulations on your new born baby son!)
Blake-Tracey - Could this young man really have been playing for Kings Lynn last year? Good defensively, tough in the tackle and not afraid to advance forward and put in meaningful crosses for the forwards. Brilliant, MOTM for me.
Boyd - Very close to MOTM for me. His energy, covering back, passing and all round ability to show others how to shield and turn in situations is almost up to his former Posh levels. He has also learned to head a ball! (although not always in a meaningful manner!)
Mason - A lad who has garnered a lot of unwelcome criticism IMO. The free kicks he has conceded have unfortunately often lead to goals or goal scoring opportunities for oppositions. I think a lot of people overlook his defending abilities and the way he is showing others how to take a proper throw in! I'm sure that Nathan Thompson will replace him if he proves to be fit enough.

Subs:
Tasdemir - 15 minutes where he put in plenty of effort after replacing Marcus. Showed awareness and nearly snatched a goal from the Holy one's hands! (Tomas not anyone else!)
Ward - 6 minutes after replacing Eisa, maybe only to run down the final minutes. (fail - running down the minutes, not Ward!)
Pym should be aware that we already have one cross-dropping, penalty-saving keeper on the books.

As both Beevers and Kent are new signings with a full pre-season under their belts, I can't imagine why they would think that the manage wants them to 'hoof the ball out of defence at the slightest opportunity'.
Kent's clumsiness prior to Fleetwood's third goal, and his concession of a penalty against Ipswich would give me pause before identifying him as 'a good, honest defender'. If Rhys Bennett had made those blunders, I suspect the reaction might have been a little more hostile.
Good points John although the difference I suppose is that Bennett would've already made 4 cock ups by then.
I thought Beevers and Kent did well Saturday, as tbf did their fellow defenders although our most experienced CH should stop the silly mistakes happening, him obstructing his own keeper and HIS defence conceding that equaliser.

Overall? We'll be fine

Post Reply