Reading away

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Reading away

Post by bristleposh » 24 Jul 2019, 07:51

I'll get first chance to see Ashman's love child as it is reported mighty magic will be making an appearance
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Wycliffe

Re: Reading away

Post by Wycliffe » 24 Jul 2019, 07:56

yes it will be interesting to see what condition he's in and how long he lasts.

Still aiming to be there, dependent on moving certain visits

matt404

Post by matt404 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:11

I shall be there - local game for me!
Christopher Kannnnnnuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

ashman

Post by ashman » 24 Jul 2019, 14:08

matt404 wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 10:11
I shall be there - local game for me!
We’ll be there too. Come and say hello Matt. Long time no see!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

ppsm4

Post by ppsm4 » 24 Jul 2019, 15:50

Posh starting 11 according to the Reading Chronicle.

PETERBOROUGH: Pym, Butler, Beevers, Kent, Mason, Maddison, Woodyard, Boyd, Dembele, Eisa, Toney.

Looks good

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 24 Jul 2019, 16:47

Posh pull a goal back to make it 2-1.

Wonderful play from Maddison for another assist. Still, the plebs think he should move on.
I have no internet friends

daib0

Post by daib0 » 24 Jul 2019, 18:32

FT: Reading 4 - 2 Peterborough

Reading FC Official Site: https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/j ... terborough

Report | Royals beat Posh in penultimate Madejski friendly

Four different goal scorers helped Reading to a win over Peterborough in their oppening pre-season friendly at Madejski Stadium. Newly appointed shot stopper, Joao Virginia guarded the posts for Reading in his first start at Madejski Stadium, while new signings Charlie Adam and Michael Morrison both featured in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Birmingham City at Hogwood earlier in the day.

The Royals would have been in good stead heading into the game, with temperatures soaring not too far off what they would have experienced during their extensive two-week training camp out in Spain. A rather tentative opening to the game saw both sides fail to create any real clear cut chances. Marcos Maddison’s shot produced the first effort on goal, minutes before Mo Eisa’s cross found Ivan Toney in the middle, but the striker could only tamely find the hands of Virginia. The Royals looked to take advantage of Mo Barrow’s pace on the wings, but the few times that they did find the winger in space out wide, the linesman’s flag deemed offside.

Peterborough were dictating the play for large parts of the early exchanges, but a Reading corner proved to be their downfall 20 minutes in when a flick-on from the near post found its way to Tyler Blackett – the defender positioning his body perfectly to guide the ball home past a stationary Christy Pym. A water break was soon required due to the sweltering heat in Berkshire, but when the game resumed it was a much more even affair, with Jose Gomes’ men pushing to add to their advantage. Barrow next came close for Reading as he broke past the Posh defence and into the penalty area, but with Pym bearing down on his path, his attempted centre was overhit and resulted in a goal kick. The winger soon found himself on the scoresheet however, when John Swift’s adept through ball on the counter found Barrow with plenty of space 12 yards out. A clever one-touch and finish was enough to double Reading’s lead on the afternoon, although it wasn’t to last as Peterborough soon found a foothold in the game. With minutes to go before the interval, a low cross from the right wasn’t dealt with, and Ivan Toney managed to pull one back for the visitors with a side-footed finish from close range. A tightly contested first half ended with Reading in front, although chances were at a premium for both sides.

Half Time | Reading 2-1 Peterborough United

It was all action in the opening minutes of the second half, when a Peterborough corner fell to the feet of Eisa, but his swivel and shot came bounding off the crossbar and away. The woodwork wasn’t to deny Posh a leveller in the game, and Eisa soon had his goal when he picked up a lose ball on the edge of the area, powering home low to Virginia’s right. The goals didn’t stop there, as moments later John Swift found an immediate reply for the Royals. With the ball put on a tee for the midfielder, his curling effort was no match for Pym, and Reading’s advantage was soon restored. Not only that, but it wasn’t long before it was doubled – Josh Barrett’s quick footwork inside the Posh box enabled him to elude his marker, before slotting home to regain his side a two goal cushion in the tie. The pace of the play began to die down as the players entered the final 20 minutes. Meite’s burst forward was denied by the gloves of Pym before his trickery down the left won his side a corner, though the resulting set-piece was well cleared. With the heat testing the player's fitness to the limit, goals from Blackett, Barrow, Swift and Barrett were enough to overcome a strong Peterborough side come the final whistle.

Jose Gomes' side now face one last test before the new season when they play Premier League's Chelsea at Madejski Stadium on Sunday 28th July.

Full Time | Reading 4-2 Peterborough United

Reading: Virgínia, Blackett, Moore (c), McIntyre, Yiadom, Rinomhota, Swift, Barret, Olise, Méïté, Barrow.
Subs: Watson, Andresson, Odimayo
Goals: Blackett, Barrow, Swift, Barrett

Peterborough: Pym, Butler, Beevers, Kent, Mason, Maddison, Woodyard, Boyd, Dembele, Eisa, Toney.
Subs: Jones, Fosu, Burrows, Barker, Rolt.
Goals: Toney, Eisa
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

daib0

Post by daib0 » 24 Jul 2019, 18:33

Should have said, you know me, not meaning to gloat one bit. And Posh played very decently from the report which was obviously biased as a Reading outlet....
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

matt404

Post by matt404 » 24 Jul 2019, 20:20

That certainly was a hot and sticky afternoon to be playing football in! Nice to meet Bristle, Wycliffe and Carthorse and sit with them. Great to put a face to name!

Hats off the Reading - free parking and admission made for a decent atmosphere for a friendly.

That must have been exhausting to play in. At times it was played at almost walking pace which was understandable given the temperature.

For me, the score line doesn’t reflect the match. Other than a wonder strike, Readings goals came from sloppy play. We made an ordinary team look slightly less ordinary. Before the first goal we were comfortable and looked the better team. On a different day we would have been 2-0 up before they scored.

The defence is going to concede some poor goals when we play out from the back; but that’s the way we play. Hopefully they get all the sloppy play out of their system before the season starts. Their first goal should never have caused us problems: we had several chances to clear before it hit the net. Frankie made an error for the second. The third was a worldie, no one was stopping that and the fourth was again sloppy.

Despite this, the defence didn’t have a lot to do. Wycliffe gave Butler the big build up pre match but we had an off day. Beevers looks class and just what we needed to recruit. Kent was solid but made some costly errors in passing. Mason was okay, nothing special - right back is one of the few positions that probably isn’t decided yet.

Dembele was good and bad. You want him to run at people; too often he got the ball then checked when you wanted him to power on - frustrating. Maddison... maddening! 9.5 roll after 5 minutes then a foul on him caused a scream that you’d have heard in PE1. Fantastic play to set up Toney. If he’s had his hair done then I hope he kept his receipt! Woodyard was imperious - his work rate is going to be needed if he’s to partner Boyd. Great to see Boydie back in blue - was rusty but still did a lot right. Toss up whether Reed partners Boyd and surely Wardy in at least until Maddison is fully fit?

Both strikers will feel they could of have had more goals. Toney was excellent, worked hard and did a lot of dirty work. Eisa was an odd one. Well taken goal but more often than not didn’t look interested or we played the wrong ball to him. He shirked a few challenges and didn’t anticipate balls. Unfair to judge on one appearance. If Toney is the one to hold the ball up, Mo needs to be the one getting the second balls and playing off the shoulder of the last defender.

Both subs, Barker and Burrows didn’t look out of place in that team. I can see them both playing their part this season. Barker in particular looked full of work and can pick a pass. Neither showed any fear in what was probably the biggest game they’ve ever played in. Promising.
Christopher Kannnnnnuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 25 Jul 2019, 07:55

Yeah good to see you mate, and carthorse...............oh yeah and nick.

Don't think Butler was that bad except that 20 minute spell when nobody in a POSH shirt was managing to find` a colleague with a pass.

Overall a decent work out and tbh despite losing we played all the decent football, hope that doesn't become a pattern.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 25 Jul 2019, 08:08

Admit I haven't seen any friendlies (never do), but central midfield definitely looks the weak area.

Woodyard wasn't good enough last season & to play a 33 year old there for the first time in his career is a massive ask.

It's the one position I really hoped we would spend big this summer.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Jul 2019, 08:16

Gaz_Miller wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 08:08
Admit I haven't seen any friendlies (never do), but central midfield definitely looks the weak area.

Woodyard wasn't good enough last season & to play a 33 year old there for the first time in his career is a massive ask.

Proving the point that if you don't see something you shouldn't really comment Woodyard and Boyd were excellentone of the wingers had a stormer.
Agreed with everything Adi said,, played some lovely football, Dembele outstanding but really still needs to learn that you don't have to beat the same player three times. Another assist and a very loud squeal, it will be interesting to see at the end of the season which is the top statistic, assists or how many roll overs he gets from the slightest tap. Aisa doesn't seem like the same player I saw at Cheltenham if I was a singer I would have been tempted to sing are you Barnett in disguise. The two young boys who came on Barker and Burrows both looked very tidy. Beevers looks like a fabulous defender whilst the goalkeeper as a sweeper was superb but his ability to stop long shots might be a problem, the one stunning piece was a break away he had to come out of his area and head the ball he didn't panic just cooly nodded the ball down to one of our players. Saint George appeared to put in far more work than he used to. All in all some good football one or two lacklustre performances, but once again we scraped a loss from the jaws of victory. Lovely to meet Carthorse first time for a long time Matt for the first time and that other bloke who didn't seem the same without a skinful of lager.
I surprisingly managed to walk straight to my car despite not having taken much notice of where I had left it, and proceded to take 3/4 of an hour to travel the mile to the motorway, I think even I could have walked it quicker. as only one side of the ground was about half full, I hate to think of the congestion problems on a normal match day.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 25 Jul 2019, 08:21

bristleposh wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 08:16
Gaz_Miller wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 08:08

Proving the point that if you don't see something you shouldn't really comment Woodyard and Boyd were excellentone of the wingers had a stormer.
Agreed with everything Adi said,, played some lovely football, Dembele outstanding but really still needs to learn that you don't have to beat the same player three times. Another assist and a very loud squeal, it will be interesting to see at the end of the season which is the top statistic, assists or how many roll overs he gets from the slightest tap. Aisa doesn't seem like the same player I saw at Cheltenham if I was a singer I would have been tempted to sing are you Barnett in disguise. The two young boys who came on Barker and Burrows both looked very tidy. Beevers looks like a fabulous defender whilst the goalkeeper as a sweeper was superb but his ability to stop long shots might be a problem, the one stunning piece was a break away he had to come out of his area and head the ball he didn't panic just cooly nodded the ball down to one of our players. Saint George appeared to put in far more work than he used to. All in all some good football one or two lacklustre performances, but once again we scraped a loss from the jaws of victory. Lovely to meet Carthorse first time for a long time Matt for the first time and that other bloke who didn't seem the same without a skinful of lager.
I surprisingly managed to walk straight to my car despite not having taken much notice of where I had left it, and proceded to take 3/4 of an hour to travel the mile to the motorway, I think even I could have walked it quicker. as only one side of the ground was about half full, I hate to think of the congestion problems on a normal match day.
Just to point out that was MM not Dembele.

Agreed Woodyard did an excellent job, his pressing is clearly an integral part of the way we want to play. Others followed suit and when they did it worked. However it sometimes left Boydy exposed when it didn't result in us winning the ball and it passed MM by :lol: Lovely ball in for Toney's goal though who was again excellent.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Jul 2019, 08:27

Wycliffe wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 08:21
bristleposh wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 08:16
Another assist and a very loud squeal, it will be interesting to see at the end of the season which is the top statistic, assists or how many roll overs he gets from the slightest tap.

Just to point out that was MM not Dembele.

Agreed Woodyard did an excellent job, his pressing is clearly an integral part of the way we want to play. Others followed suit and when they did it worked. However it sometimes left Boydy exposed when it didn't result in us winning the ball and it passed MM by :lol: Lovely ball in for Toney's goal though who was again excellent.
Ooops it was indeed Magic Marcus, I thought I'd try and not upset Ashman, who thinks the sunshines from his orifice, I have news for him, the stains in his shorts are not sunburn. The boy has skill but only produced one moment in his 45 minute cameo, he didn't manage two roll overs that would have done Tom Daley proud

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 25 Jul 2019, 08:28

If you are taking pre season friendlies seriously then maybe you need to understand what they're for.

I've seen more than enough of Woodyard to know how good he is thanks.