George Boyd

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: George Boyd

Post by ashman » 15 Jul 2019, 17:02

Think back to when we signed Grant McCann, who was vastly inferior to George in respect of experience. He came in during his wind down years and if I remember he didn't do too badly did he!
Grant slotted beautifully into midfield and that is exactly the sort of thing I have been hearing all pre-season "We need a Grant McCann type to run the midfield." Well we have got one now Gaz!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 15 Jul 2019, 17:54

Gaz_Miller wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:07
poshnipper wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:03
misery guts.
Nothing to do with it.

Did you see Tomlin last season? Truly awful.

Did you see CMS when he came back? Truly awful.

Did you se McClean when he came back? Truly awful.
None of the players mentioned above were playing regularly in the Championship hence the reason they joined on loan. I’d take a George Boyd over Evans signings last summer such as Lyon, Walker, Buckley-Ricketts, O’Hara etc etc

dunc

Post by dunc » 15 Jul 2019, 18:04

I see George is pictured holding the No 21 shirt for the new season.
Initially Posh announced that number 21 would be worn by idris Kanu!
Does that mean Kanu will be going out on loan shortly?

Claude Rains

Post by Claude Rains » 15 Jul 2019, 18:22

Perhaps Idris has been given 8, 13 or 15?
You can see me. Nobody sees me, do you hear me? Nobody sees me. I'm invisible!

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 15 Jul 2019, 18:49

You've got to be pleased that a guy who played in the Premier League less than two years ago has joined us. Though personally, considering the fact that George will be 34 in October I'd have given him a twelve month deal myself.

That being said, Boyd remains a superb athlete. And since Grant McCann retired we have lacked a player with that passing range in the middle of the pitch.

Besides, it's George Boyd :clap:

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 15 Jul 2019, 20:56

Gaz_Miller wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:28
Wycliffe wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:18
Or it is a plan all along that took a while to get over the line, answers why we haven't been seriously pursuing another CM the past week or two.
If he'd signed for Rovrum or suchlike most normal people would have bemoaned the fact they had got an experienced midfielder and we hadn't.

You just choose the negative anyway so that's why people get fed up in the end.
What a load of B*llocks.

What would you have thought if Doncaster had signed Tomlin last March? You'd have been gutted and mumsnet would have gone into hyperbole agreeing with each other.

And if you think we haven't been pursuing a central midfielder since May, then quite frankly you haven't got a clue.

This is a last resort signing. Let's hope it works out.
You really aren't actually that intelligent are you?
I said the past week or two we stopped searching, you somehow managed to equate that to May onwards :shock:

I have no doubt we looked at others. I have no doubt George had other opportunities. He was happy to come home. I would imagine he has taken a massive pay cut but he ain't the type to be fussed by money. The curmudgeons amongst us will moan. Oh. You're the only one. Even your brother who follows you like a sheep opinion wise disagrees with you as you managed to ignore earlier

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 15 Jul 2019, 21:44

Wycliffe wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 20:56
The curmudgeons amongst us will moan. Oh. You're the only one.
I take it that everybody on mumsnet is over the moon then? Can't you see that everybody HAS to agree on there else you're banned? Think about who's not allowed on there anymore - anyone who dared say anything different.

Look on social media for the real world. Look what Sheff Weds fans are saying.

You need to broaden your horizons if you want to know what proper football fans think.
I have no internet friends

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 15 Jul 2019, 21:50

Narrowboat Dave wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:17

We know what he can do and the talent he has. For heaven’s sake, let’s give him as much of a chance as we do to the rest of the team. He could arguably be the best signing we have made.
:stupid: Great news!
Being happy never goes out of style

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 16 Jul 2019, 08:14

My only concern is hie eyesight, has he had a medical yet.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Jul 2019, 09:30

Gaz_Miller wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 21:44
Wycliffe wrote:
I take it that everybody on mumsnet is over the moon then? Can't you see that everybody HAS to agree on there else you're banned? Think about who's not allowed on there anymore - anyone who dared say anything different.

You need to broaden your horizons if you want to know what proper football fans think.
some wednesday fans, no burnley fans, few posh 'fans'

there are a few on .net questioning it but they are putting viewpoints forward not just slagging off the decision because they have an agenda which is frankly to decry anything, as I say your sheep of a brother is even excited :clap:

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 16 Jul 2019, 14:52

Signing Boyd is a gamble well worth taking. Has always been a model professional (unlike Tomlin for example). Provided he is fully fit, he could be the chief playmaker for Posh next season.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 16 Jul 2019, 15:50

Gaz_Miller wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 21:44
Wycliffe wrote:

Gaz, let's be honest. He was playing for Steve Bruce at Wednesday.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 16 Jul 2019, 16:35

DaveLister wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:50
Gaz, let's be honest. He was playing for Steve Bruce at Wednesday.
I hope as much as anyone that he's the answer to our midfield.

However, rather than just agreeing with everyone else, I think this is more about who we couldn't get rather than first choice signing.
I have no internet friends

White G

Post by White G » 17 Jul 2019, 17:36

bristleposh wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:38
I’m hopeful, I loved George, I’d have even had his babies, but as killjoy gaz says McLean CMS Tomlin and add to those Taylor, Williams, Samuelson and probably a few others I can’t remember have not covered themselves in glory, hopefully George will be different.
If he's not good enough to get in the squad for his national team full of pub league players at his peak, surely you can't expect his to take the mighty League One by storm in the twilight of his career?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 17 Jul 2019, 17:47

White G wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 17:37
bristleposh wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:38
I’m hopeful, I loved George, I’d have even had his babies, but as killjoy gaz says McLean CMS Tomlin and add to those Taylor, Williams, Samuelson and probably a few others I can’t remember have not covered themselves in glory, hopefully George will be different.
If he's not good enough to get in the squad for his national team full of pub league players at his peak, surely you can't expect him to take the mighty League One by storm in the twilight of his career?
So good you posted it twice the truth being that most of the team were either from Celtic or the Premier league and the then manager hadn’t got a clue what he was doing
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits