Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Poshay

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by Poshay » 06 Apr 2019, 21:56

ashman wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 18:11
Poshay wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 18:02
Godden won more headers when he came on than Toney did before he was subbed. The latter seems to have been attending the Maddison School of Fragility.
The way that Ivan Toney gets treated by opposing defenders is awful. The lad does a good job against terrible odds.
He does his cause no good by the way he goes to ground so easily. If he gave the ref the impression that he was trying to stay on his feet he might get their respect and more decisions in his favour. The view of the halfwayliners was that he was a liability today.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Apr 2019, 01:44

bristleposh wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 20:05
Leo man of the match
Sarcasm was never one of your best characteristics - anyway you left (iFollow) before half time!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 07 Apr 2019, 11:23

ashman wrote:
Poshay wrote:
Posh slightly the better of two mediocre teams. Those poor children who were taken on freebies could successfully sue for child cruelty. Godden won more headers when he came on than Toney did before he was subbed. The latter seems to have been attending the Maddison School of Fragility.
The way that Ivan Toney gets treated by opposing defenders is awful. The lad does a good job against terrible odds. Godden did a good job when he replaced Toney, ran his socks off but only had 25 minutes to make an impact. He certainly did that by winning an important header into the path of Maddison who squared the ball back to Godden who passed the ball into an almost empty net. Maddison again with a goal and an assist. MOTM for me a toss up between Woodyard, Tafazolli and Reed.
Mate, that is so wrong.

Toney of a few months ago whilst not strong enough was willing to battle with the centre halves, now he is constantly seeking to gain a free kick insted of actually winning a ball. I can barely recall when he won a header he went for unless it is when defending our box.
He gives way too many fouls away and is often the wrong side of the defender so is never going to win anything.

When he went through his month of real form he looked like we'd have something albeit in the future but imo he has not kicked on from that point and he should be grateful we seemingly have no replacement for him as it is obvious whatever he shows in training it is clear Matty Stevens is not impressing. Godden was far more impressive in his cameo and should feel somewhat annoyed that Ivan gets in the team ahead of him atm.

I like Toney, I think he'll be an asset probably next season but he needs to man up a bit and stop trying to kid the officials, something he's not as successful at as kidding some of the supporters :wink:

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Apr 2019, 11:49

Wycliffe wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 11:23
ashman wrote:
Poshay wrote:
Posh slightly the better of two mediocre teams. Those poor children who were taken on freebies could successfully sue for child cruelty. Godden won more headers when he came on than Toney did before he was subbed. The latter seems to have been attending the Maddison School of Fragility.
The way that Ivan Toney gets treated by opposing defenders is awful. The lad does a good job against terrible odds. Godden did a good job when he replaced Toney, ran his socks off but only had 25 minutes to make an impact. He certainly did that by winning an important header into the path of Maddison who squared the ball back to Godden who passed the ball into an almost empty net. Maddison again with a goal and an assist. MOTM for me a toss up between Woodyard, Tafazolli and Reed.
Mate, that is so wrong.

Toney of a few months ago whilst not strong enough was willing to battle with the centre halves, now he is constantly seeking to gain a free kick insted of actually winning a ball. I can barely recall when he won a header he went for unless it is when defending our box.
He gives way too many fouls away and is often the wrong side of the defender so is never going to win anything.

When he went through his month of real form he looked like we'd have something albeit in the future but imo he has not kicked on from that point and he should be grateful we seemingly have no replacement for him as it is obvious whatever he shows in training it is clear Matty Stevens is not impressing. Godden was far more impressive in his cameo and should feel somewhat annoyed that Ivan gets in the team ahead of him atm.

I like Toney, I think he'll be an asset probably next season but he needs to man up a bit and stop trying to kid the officials, something he's not as successful at as kidding some of the supporters :wink:
It's all about opinions mate. To an extent you are right in that he shows a lot more intent in winning aerial battles in our own penalty area than when we are attacking. I reckon that Matty Godden will get the nod next week and this might just give Toney a bit of a gee up to get back to his early form. As Fergie said in his post match comments, he has been carrying a groin strain for quite a while and, as you know, that is one of the injuries that take a great deal of time in repairing. Without question, Fergie should rest him (always a failing with managers, not just Fergie - players are rarely given enough time to repair) He should restore Godden or give Stevens a chance next week when we are away from home and away from some of the negative comments that people in our home attendances come out with. That doesn't detract from what I said about the rough treatment that Toney gets from opposing defenders.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 07 Apr 2019, 14:09

ashman wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 11:49
Wycliffe wrote:
ashman wrote:

Mate, that is so wrong.

It's all about opinions mate. To an extent you are right in that he shows a lot more intent in winning aerial battles in our own penalty area than when we are attacking. I reckon that Matty Godden will get the nod next week and this might just give Toney a bit of a gee up to get back to his early form. As Fergie said in his post match comments, he has been carrying a groin strain for quite a while and, as you know, that is one of the injuries that take a great deal of time in repairing. Without question, Fergie should rest him (always a failing with managers, not just Fergie - players are rarely given enough time to repair) He should restore Godden or give Stevens a chance next week when we are away from home and away from some of the negative comments that people in our home attendances come out with. That doesn't detract from what I said about the rough treatment that Toney gets from opposing defenders.
Of course it's about opinions and I respect yours even when they are different to mine and therefore wrong :wink:

I don't think he gets especially rough treatment from centre halves, Godden for example doesn't look to be physical with them so it doesn't happen to him. Ivan however tries to and is frankly just not strong enough, nor often is he in the right position as I eluded to earlier.
He'll come good of that I have no doubt.

I'll tell you he did play well yesterday and that was Bennett and indeed taff although Gillingham only had one threat and he was well off form yesterday.

Leo was hilariously poor though :lol:

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Apr 2019, 14:22

Wycliffe wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 14:09
ashman wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 11:49
Wycliffe wrote:

Mate, that is so wrong.

Of course it's about opinions and I respect yours even when they are different to mine and therefore wrong :wink:

I don't think he gets especially rough treatment from centre halves, Godden for example doesn't look to be physical with them so it doesn't happen to him. Ivan however tries to and is frankly just not strong enough, nor often is he in the right position as I eluded to earlier.
He'll come good of that I have no doubt.

I'll tell you he did play well yesterday and that was Bennett and indeed taff although Gillingham only had one threat and he was well off form yesterday.

Leo was hilariously poor though :lol:
Bennett and Naismith have been improving ever since Fergie came in (although Naismith wasn't quite as effective as he has been for the past two games.) Taff really did look to be almost back to his best - maybe there were a few scouts looking at him for next year! :lol:
See, we agree that it is all about opinions! It's just that mine are right and yours are wrong but you said it first so you must be right!
Leo, bless him, did struggle as you suggested but at least he seems to have put a touch of timber on his frame. I hope he comes good eventually and that we get another fairly substantial wedge from whoever (Wigan maybe) when he finally realises his potential!
See you in Blackpool! :comeon: