POSH v SOUTHEND

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: POSH v SOUTHEND

Post by ashman » 24 Mar 2019, 09:06

Very enjoyable game. Went home with a smile on my face yesterday. From those first few minutes when Toney had two efforts saved by Oxley we were so in control of a match. Check out Joe Dent's match gallery and note the smiles on players faces particularly Maddison and Tomlin, even when Lee was being subbed!

https://www.theposh.com/news/2019/march ... nd-united/

Chapman: Nothing to do. O'Connor would have come away with a clean sheet too.
Naismith: The improvement in this player since Fergie's return is remarkable.
Woodyard: His best game for many a long day. Showed all the characteristics that we were promised when he was signed from Lincoln. Probably ended up with a nosebleed after his burst into the Southend penalty area!
Tafazolli: Completely dominant in the air. We are going to miss him if he plays like this until the end of the season.
White: First goal and another player showing confidence by once advancing meaningfully towards the opposition's area. Superb.
Reed: I love this little lad's attitude. He can pass a ball too!
Ward: Back to normal for Joe after a couple of poorer games. Well done Joe.
Toney: Such a hard working player in defence and attack. A shame that his 'goal' was correctly ruled offside as he could really do with a goal to get back to former levels. Always takes an incredible amount of stick from opposition defences.
Lafferty: We seem to have found a decent left back at last. A very good effort and well done Daniel.
Maddison: What needs to be said? A superb goal, another assist, excellent crosses (apart from one poor corner) and good covering and defensive work, even if this skill is not his forte!
Tomlin: A MOTM display from Lee. He really is beginning to look as if he can make a huge impact for us again!

subs: Godden for Ward - little impact, Dempsey for Maddison - 6 mins? What could he do in that time? Dembele for Tomlin - Siriki looked surprisingly lively after such a long layoff.

White, Dempsey, Tomlin, Lafferty, Knight, all likely to be returned to their clubs in the close season and Freestone and O'Hara could be recalled. O'Hara may make the move to Lincoln. Freestone? is he really ready yet?
So it looks like there is a need for at least five replacements for the loanees plus Tafazolli and any others that Fergie and co. consider not really good enough.

Any candidates peoples????
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 24 Mar 2019, 09:47

So, back up to where we were when the Yes man took over.

It’s the easiest run-in in history, so no excuses to at least make the play-offs
I have no internet friends

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 24 Mar 2019, 10:32

Gaz_Miller wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 09:47
So, back up to where we were when the Yes man took over.

It’s the easiest run-in in history, so no excuses to at least make the play-offs
Really???? 6 of the 7 sides in the top half including Portsmouth & Sunderland, 4 away games out of 5? Think you’re confusing our run in with Doncaster’s.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 24 Mar 2019, 10:46

HantsPosh wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 10:32

Really???? 6 of the 7 sides in the top half including Portsmouth & Sunderland, 4 away games out of 5? Think you’re confusing our run in with Doncaster’s.
I meant when the Yes man took over. We only had four games out of 18 against teams in the top half.

To only get 3 points out of the last 12 against three teams in deep relegation trouble is scandalous.

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 24 Mar 2019, 22:22

Since beating Luton and Charlton at the beginning of the season we haven't beaten any of the top 6 teams home or away. It's ok beating the likes of injury hit Southend,but they are not In the same showroom as the Portsmouth's and Sunderland's of this world. I still think Blackpool will claim 6th place.

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Mar 2019, 01:43

I just love the enthusiasm of some of the posters on here!! :roll:
We have just convincingly won a game at home and all that can be said is that Fergie and co are not fit for the job and that we have a hard run in. Enjoy what was served up on Saturday as opposed to the absolute dross that was being played under Evans. We may not reach the playoffs but at least we have seen a much better standard of football since Fergie came in - and don't forget that these players are not necessarily his choice. He has however picked them up and given them confidence as opposed to what some reports are saying about the way they were treated before.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 25 Mar 2019, 09:13

ashman wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 01:43
We have just convincingly won a game at home and all that can be said is that Fergie and co are not fit for the job and that we have a hard run in. Enjoy what was served up on Saturday as opposed to the absolute dross that was being played under Evans. We may not reach the playoffs but at least we have seen a much better standard of football since Fergie came in - and don't forget that these players are not necessarily his choice. He has however picked them up and given them confidence as opposed to what some reports are saying about the way they were treated before.
Don't worry mate. They'll not admit it but some will be gutted we even won.

Southend were truly awful and we do have to improve each and every game this season to have a chance of gaining sufficient points and to have even a faint chance of going up.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 25 Mar 2019, 09:40

ashman wrote:
That is a joke, right? The football has been absolute dross under the Yes man.

Not sure where you get the hard run-in from either. When Yes man took over it was the easiest run-in in Posh's history.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 25 Mar 2019, 11:14

Gaz_Miller wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 09:40
ashman wrote:

Not sure where you get the hard run-in from either. When Yes man took over it was the easiest run-in in Posh's history.
April 11th. Ebenezers from 1830 hrs.

Your chance to spout or bottle

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Mar 2019, 22:25

Gaz_Miller wrote:
ashman wrote:

No jokes, only, comments like that go towards making an interesting forum! You can't wind us up like you did on .net!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 26 Mar 2019, 08:44

Gaz_Miller wrote:

I'm not sure that the remaining run in will be absolutely easy but I still think we'll do it.
Gillingham......Home WIN
Blackpool...... Away WIN
Fleetwood.......Away WIN
Sunderland......Home DRAW
Walsall............Away WIN
Portsmouth......Away LOSE
Burton Albion...Home WIN
Being happy never goes out of style

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 26 Mar 2019, 10:22

ashman wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 22:25
No jokes, only, comments like that go towards making an interesting forum! You can't wind us up like you did on .net!
:o
I didn't wind anybody up on .net, I was just too clever for the clique.

Back on topic. Surely you don't think the football under Yes man has been good? Seriously, his 'style' of football has stopped me going for a while. It's boring, rigid and unless he inherits a team full of Championship quality, he has no idea what to do.

It's the easiest run-in ever & Evans would have us in fifth place now.

ashman

Post by ashman » 26 Mar 2019, 17:07

Gaz_Miller wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 10:22
ashman wrote:

Back on topic. Surely you don't think the football under Yes man has been good? Seriously, his 'style' of football has stopped me going for a while. It's boring, rigid and unless he inherits a team full of Championship quality, he has no idea what to do.

The football has been immeasurably better since Evans left. In fact it has been proper football as opposed to 'hoofball.' If you don't like it, do as you have done and don't bother turning up for games.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 26 Mar 2019, 17:25

ashman wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 17:07
Gaz_Miller wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 10:22
ashman wrote:

The football has been immeasurably better since Evans left. In fact it has been proper football as opposed to 'hoofball.' If you don't like it, do as you have done and don't bother turning up for games.
Even me with my lack of vision can see the football has improved, Maddison much improved, only downside is lack of goals from Toney
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 26 Mar 2019, 18:04

ashman wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 17:07
Wow. I'm amazed anybody thinks it's been great football. I nearly nodded off at the Plymouth match.

So who are you ashman? People hiding behind names eh :)