Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Fergie to stay

Post by tonyp » 11 Mar 2019, 08:25

A article from the Peterborough Telegraph
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... -1-8842024
is interesting
including -
It’s an early vote of confidence for a manager who has yet to spark the improvement required for Posh to reach the League One play-offs. Posh have won two and lost four of their seven League One matches - and dropped a place to seventh - since Ferguson replaced Steve Evans as first-team boss at the end of January.
and DMac says "I have massive faith in him, the way he works and more importantly I have absolute trust in him as well. He’s the best manager our club has had in my era for sure.

It will be great if Fergie gets us into the play-offs. If not we should all support him for next season.
Being happy never goes out of style

ashman

Re: Fergie to stay

Post by ashman » 11 Mar 2019, 08:43

He gets my vote of confidence too after the early season nonsense!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Mar 2019, 08:52

I will keep my powder dry on this topic. My feelings which will have no bearing on the outcome are, that as a manager, he is too one dimensional and has never managed to come up with a plan B early enough to have an effect on the outcome of matches. Saturday was a prime example, we were under the coch earlyin the second half and yet he waited until the inevitable happened and we conceded, in my not very expert opinion change should have come earlier, before we were playing catch-up.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 11 Mar 2019, 08:56

bristleposh wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 08:52
I will keep my powder dry on this topic. My feelings which will have no bearing on the outcome are, that as a manager, he is too one dimensional and has never managed to come up with a plan B early enough to have an effect on the outcome of matches. Saturday was a prime example, we were under the coch earlyin the second half and yet he waited until the inevitable happened and we conceded, in my not very expert opinion change should have come earlier, before we were playing catch-up.
Yet another speling mistake. People won't take you seriously if your speling and grammer doesn't improve. :roll:
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Mar 2019, 08:59

Poshay wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 08:56
bristleposh wrote:
Yet another speling mistake. People won't take you seriously if your speling and grammer doesn't improve. :roll:
I have coch on my mind

ashman

Post by ashman » 11 Mar 2019, 09:23

bristleposh wrote:
Really? :wink:

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 11 Mar 2019, 11:04

I am going to say it...………..within 3-4 weeks of Fergie leaving last time I forecast he would be back. I am not surprised he has arrived back nor disappointed. Darragh needs a "mate" and he has now got his mate back. Right or wrong.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 11 Mar 2019, 11:18

I'm sorry but I'm not one for bringing ex managers or indeed players back. For me it is a sign of desperation and non progression. In the case of Fergie,to consider bringing him back a third time after a disappointing last appointment is a backwards step and just feel will stagnate our progression. We have suffered season after season since being relegated from the championship through employing second rate managers who have taken this club backwards and served up boring, unattractive football. I pay to be entertained and for many seasons now I can count on one hand how many times that has actually happened. Why oh why does our chairman never ever consider employing a big name manager? He goes on about wanting success and to return to the championship,but hes not prepared to invest where it matters most! I hope this story about Fergie returning on a full time basis next season is just media talk. If not then I fear the future doesn't look bright and yet again progression will never be achieved.

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 11 Mar 2019, 16:00

pleasureboy60 wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 11:18
I'm sorry but I'm not one for bringing ex managers or indeed players back. For me it is a sign of desperation and non progression. In the case of Fergie,to consider bringing him back a third time after a disappointing last appointment is a backwards step and just feel will stagnate our progression. We have suffered season after season since being relegated from the championship through employing second rate managers who have taken this club backwards and served up boring, unattractive football. I pay to be entertained and for many seasons now I can count on one hand how many times that has actually happened. Why oh why does our chairman never ever consider employing a big name manager? He goes on about wanting success and to return to the championship,but hes not prepared to invest where it matters most! I hope this story about Fergie returning on a full time basis next season is just media talk. If not then I fear the future doesn't look bright and yet again progression will never be achieved.
Well said. :stupid:

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 11 Mar 2019, 16:44

I say what I say due to the fact I do not believe Darragh has the confidence or talent to pick a good Manager suitable for Posh and Fergie is the nearest compatible man yet to work with.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

dunc

Post by dunc » 11 Mar 2019, 18:19

Surely the manager is meant to manage the playing side of the football club? rather than work with the Chairman!
I was under the impression that the manager reports to the Chairman rather than works alongside him.
I would rather the Chairman decide the club's principles and philosophies and then appoint the best man to manage the playing side of the club.

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 11 Mar 2019, 20:35

dunc wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 18:19
Surely the manager is meant to manage the playing side of the football club? rather than work with the Chairman!
I was under the impression that the manager reports to the Chairman rather than works alongside him.
I would rather the Chairman decide the club's principles and philosophies and then appoint the best man to manage the playing side of the club.
So would I but it is my firm belief that managers at Posh (while Mr MacAnthony is Chairman) have to accept a considerable influence from him in regard to playing matters. That is why I equally firmly believe that many of the better available managers prefer to look elsewhere.

ashman

Post by ashman » 12 Mar 2019, 00:43

PoshCynic wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 20:35
dunc wrote:
So would I but it is my firm belief that managers at Posh (while Mr MacAnthony is Chairman) have to accept a considerable influence from him in regard to playing matters. That is why I equally firmly believe that many of the better available managers prefer to look elsewhere.
Merely a belief. No clear cut evidence at all.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 12 Mar 2019, 08:50

ashman wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 00:43
PoshCynic wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 20:35
dunc wrote:
Merely a belief. No clear cut evidence at all.
From someone who has no knowledge of the club and doesn't go to matches. (Cynic that is)

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 12 Mar 2019, 08:54

There was never any evidence that some players had to play each week. I know I am far from the action down here so don't see what is happening first hand and have to rely on newspapers, internet forums, and friends comments, but I thought probably our best manager of the DMac era was Garry Johnson an experienced proven manager at our level with both Yeovil and Bristol City, obviously his tenure didn't last longt for a reason, perhaps he would not bow down to the owners whims.