Who was your first Peterborough United idol?

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

daib0

Who was your first Peterborough United idol?

Post by daib0 » 17 Feb 2019, 20:50

Just a nice question for you chaps...

Who was your first Peterborough United idol, and why?

I like to hear these sort of stories!!

David :)
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

tonyp

Re: Who was your first Peterborough United idol?

Post by tonyp » 17 Feb 2019, 22:03

Fred Martin
I was pretty easy to please in those days and Freddie scored goals on a fairly regular basis.
I also followed Arsenal and my idol there was George Swindin because I wanted to be a goalkeeper (I did play in goal at primary school!).
George was my idol at Peterborough when he became Player-Manager.
Being happy never goes out of style

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 17 Feb 2019, 22:06

Dennis Emery, saw his first game as a young lanky long legged player, actually slightly disliked initially, in his first few weeks, but matured into the very best footballer ever to put on a blue shirt. Just one pass could make me salivate. He just edges Boyd and Chris Turner out as the best ever.
Gave me so much pleasure and excitement for many years.
I have written several articles about him over the years and helped Posh Media produce a DVD about his career.
Last edited by Brianposh on 17 Feb 2019, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

OBM

Post by OBM » 17 Feb 2019, 22:07

Tommy Robson, could change a game, get the crowd going, never gave up despite the relentless scything tackles and a thoroughly nice bloke.

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Feb 2019, 22:29

Peter McNamee - who played for Posh in the team that were promoted into the league. 1960 and I was only 9 years old and maybe it was because he played on the wing and he was closer to us youngsters for 45 minutes each game. He was one hell of a player though and scored and helped provide so many goals for his team mates. Strangely enough, Dennis Emery was in this team and I obviously couldn't appreciate his skills like Brian does - mind you he is years and years older than I am! :lol:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 17 Feb 2019, 22:41

I'm another fan of Denis Emery, but my all time favourite was George Hudson, never seen a forward head the ball with such power.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Feb 2019, 22:57

bristleposh wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:41
I'm another fan of Denis Emery, but my all time favourite was George Hudson, never seen a forward head the ball with such power.
Yep, made my neck ache just watching him head a ball! (and don't forget that was with a water sodden leather ball with stitches in!)

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 17 Feb 2019, 23:02

ashman wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:57
bristleposh wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:41
Yep, made my neck ache just watching him head a ball! (and don't forget that was with a water sodden leather ball with stitches in!)
Not half as much as one of our players who slid head first into the wall under the main stand, I think near where the disabled are housed now, I think it was Ollie Hopkins

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 17 Feb 2019, 23:25

ashman wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:29
Peter McNamee - who played for Posh in the team that were promoted into the league. 1960 and I was only 9 years old and maybe it was because he played on the wing and he was closer to us youngsters for 45 minutes each game. He was one hell of a player though and scored and helped provide so many goals for his team mates. Strangely enough, Dennis Emery was in this team and I obviously couldn't appreciate his skills like Brian does - mind you he is years and years older than I am! :lol:
Sadly I hear Peter is not well atm.

Lovely lovely man who I have had the privilege of meeting many times and I am told by the really old one hell of a player.

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Feb 2019, 23:59

Wycliffe wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:25
ashman wrote:

Lovely lovely man who I have had the privilege of meeting many times and I am told by the really old one hell of a player.
It's not so long ago that Peter came to London Road and spoke to an invited audience in the Sponsor's Lounge. He was amusing and full of life (even if his Scottish accent was occasionally difficult to understand) He had many stories to tell about his life in football. Totally fascinating. So sorry to hear that he is not so good at the moment. Please keep us informed if you can Adi.
:shock: I've just realised you have tarnished me as being 'really old!' :?

daib0

Post by daib0 » 18 Feb 2019, 00:02

wow, what a great response first day! I'll look up on these players (being an ignorant Reading fan!)...
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 18 Feb 2019, 00:14

ashman wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:59
Wycliffe wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:25
ashman wrote:

It's not so long ago that Peter came to London Road and spoke to an invited audience in the Sponsor's Lounge. He was amusing and full of life (even if his Scottish accent was occasionally difficult to understand) He had many stories to tell about his life in football. Totally fascinating. So sorry to hear that he is not so good at the moment. Please keep us informed if you can Adi.
:shock: I've just realised you have tarnished me as being 'really old!' :?
loved the guy, he lived just around the corner from me when I was at my parents house

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 18 Feb 2019, 08:13

Tommy Robson. Even though I only caught the last few months of his time at Posh, he and John Barnes were the guys who made me want to play football.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 18 Feb 2019, 08:53

As a Johnny Come Lately....CMS.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 18 Feb 2019, 09:48

Obviously there is nobody on here as old as I am.
I idolised Emery and MacNamee and Norman Rigby. But I answered David's question about the first idol. In my case it was before the great Dennis Emery.
I do believe that most fans of that era will rate Emery as the greatest of all time.
Being happy never goes out of style