Bristol Rovers away Tuesday 29th. January 7.45pm

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Bristol Rovers away Tuesday 29th. January 7.45pm

Post by ashman » 30 Jan 2019, 03:38

As usual a very pessimistic report from down south! The journey down was ok for us sitting on the coach but for our driver it must have been a real slog through the terrible wet conditions. When we got into Bristol, the traffic, as usual was horrendous and it took us 20 minutes to go about a mile before we found the correct route down the tiny inner roads of the city.
The first twenty minutes was all Pirates and we just couldn't seem to get to grips with their play. In less than ten minutes we were one down due to a penalty conceded by Bennett. (and annoyingly the player tripped was Tom Nicholls who then proceeded to put Bristol in front from the spot.)
Slowly we got things going, with Tomlin getting more into the action and Woodyard becoming increasingly effective in midfield. Just past the halfway mark and Posh were back on terms from a cheeky pass by Tomlin to Toney who rounded their keeper and planted the ball in the net.
Just short of half time and we were back behind again through a catalogue of three missed tackles, finally with O'Malley coming to try to block and slipping and their forward dinking the ball over him with only a slight touch from the keeper before the ball nestled in the net!
The second half was nearly all Posh with some outstanding contributions from Woodyard, Cooke and Dempsey in midfield and another very assured display from the loanee from Brighton, Ben White. Tomlin lasted his obligatory 65 minutes with a booking and was subbed for Joe Ward along with Dempsey making way for Maddison. This immediately livened up things and after 75 mins. Godden (who looked a lot more capable but still without a goal) was replaced by Dembele who, as always, demanded the attention of the Bristol defence.
Coming into added on time, Dembele received the ball from the left, advanced a few yards before passing the ball to Ward in a central position and he hit an almost unstoppable goal from a good 25 yards to equal up the scores. An uninterrupted return journey home before arriving at the ABAX at 1.05 am.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 30 Jan 2019, 08:42

Many thanks for your excellent report and so soon after you returned home. Do you ever go to bed?
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 30 Jan 2019, 09:37

Poshay wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 08:42
Many thanks for your excellent report and so soon after you returned home. Do you ever go to bed?
Yes a sound report, thanks.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 30 Jan 2019, 10:04

Steamy Nin wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 09:37
Poshay wrote:
It does however make us sound much better than we actually were. Playing a team well adrift in the relegation zone. For long periods, especially in the first half we were outplayed. Admittedly I thought they were lucky to get a soft penalty, well taken, their second was a comedy of errors that even Shakespeare could not have choreographed. Leaving the ground I heard a couple of old time lickers saying he was at fault for both goals, now assuming they were talking about O'Malley, as there had been people in the seated areas, who every few minutes were deriding the young lads capabilities, they know nothing. If however they were talking about Bennett, who I assume was responsible for the tackle that concedede the first goal, very unfortunate, as for the second there were so many people who made mistakes or slipped I think it is very churlish to single out one player for his contribution. Playing of three central midfielders in a diamond doesn't work, and once again trying to rely on the full backs to act as wingers, gives them too much ground to cover. It was the same when we gave that responsibility to Mark Little, perhaps why I always thought he was slow at getting back. Forced to mark the players out of ten I'd go O'Malley 5, Naismith 5, White 7, Bennett 4, Lafferty 4, Dempsey 4, Woodyard 5, Cooke 5, Tomlin 4, Godden 5, Toney 4, subs Maddison 5, Dembele 5, Ward 6.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 30 Jan 2019, 10:45

bristleposh wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 10:04
Steamy Nin wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 09:37
Poshay wrote:
It does however make us sound much better than we actually were.
Rubbish. The team had had two days to get used to a polar opposite to what they had been playing with Evans and after an initial 20 minutes of trying to sort themselves out the team was a complete breath of fresh air as to what we have become used to as fans. I'll say it again, well done each and everyone concerned with Posh. In the coming weeks I can see some inevitable changes as Fergie gets more familiar with his adopted players and I can see that he will make it a lot more watcheable than before and probably just as successful, if not even more so.
p.s. I just knew that you would have to mention Mark Little!

ashman

Post by ashman » 31 Jan 2019, 02:30

A very telling stat!

After last night, Posh average 278 passes per league game.
Last night, Posh attempted 559 - more than double the season average.
Only against Bradford (618), when Bradford scored early & sat deep for the remainder of the game, have Posh attempted 400+ passes in a game.