Breaking news, Fergie is back

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Poshboyo
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Jan 2019, 13:39

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by Poshboyo » 28 Jan 2019, 09:54

White G wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 19:28
Poor decision! We're play-off contenders so why choose a man who's got us relegated twice, walked out on us before failing at Preston, failed in every other job he's had, was hopeless in his last stint & is tactically out his depth when facing good managers? I guess he's cheap & not wanted elsewhere though!

Evans was surely a long-term project and while things could be better, he's not doing that badly. All the stick he gets for his demeanor but Fergie is no saint, just ask his ex-wife! Evans is a winner and I'm sure he would've turned the corner with us & got us back to the Championship given time!
He got Doncaster promoted at the first attempt, as for failing at PNE that club was a shambles when he took the job and it continued got no backing at all, several managers at that time tried to get PNE moving alas all failed so can't write too much into that job
Evans and Raynor were backed to the hilt by DMac completely changed the squad and after a few good weeks at the start, we were rapidly going backwards
Evans, I thought when the appointment was made was the answer sadly he's proved to be tactically nieve so the right decision has been made it's a poor league L1 this season we should be doing much better our home record is of a relegation team, letting the cat out of the bag early re Tommo did him no favours and that IMO was the beginning of the end I'm glad he and Raynor have gone both very divisive characters

Fergie was shot after that awful day at Palace that's when he should have gone, and he's only had one relegation with us

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17471
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by ashman » 28 Jan 2019, 10:06

Poshboyo wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 09:54
White G wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 19:28
Poor decision! We're play-off contenders so why choose a man who's got us relegated twice, walked out on us before failing at Preston, failed in every other job he's had, was hopeless in his last stint & is tactically out his depth when facing good managers? I guess he's cheap & not wanted elsewhere though!

Evans was surely a long-term project and while things could be better, he's not doing that badly. All the stick he gets for his demeanor but Fergie is no saint, just ask his ex-wife! Evans is a winner and I'm sure he would've turned the corner with us & got us back to the Championship given time!
He got Doncaster promoted at the first attempt, as for failing at PNE that club was a shambles when he took the job and it continued got no backing at all, several managers at that time tried to get PNE moving alas all failed so can't write too much into that job
Evans and Raynor were backed to the hilt by DMac completely changed the squad and after a few good weeks at the start, we were rapidly going backwards
Evans, I thought when the appointment was made was the answer sadly he's proved to be tactically nieve so the right decision has been made it's a poor league L1 this season we should be doing much better our home record is of a relegation team, letting the cat out of the bag early re Tommo did him no favours and that IMO was the beginning of the end I'm glad he and Raynor have gone both very divisive characters

Fergie was shot after that awful day at Palace that's when he should have gone, and he's only had one relegation with us
On the money post. :clap2:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

trevormans
Posts: 430
Joined: 11 May 2013, 20:21

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by trevormans » 28 Jan 2019, 11:14

It is always interesting to see how different people see the same set of facts and yet come up with wildly different opinions because of the emphasis each of us places on different events, or else they forget, ignore, follow the soundbites or never really understood. We all do it. We each have our own prejudices and viewpoints. That certainly explains why I have such diagonally varying views from so many others , on a range of topics, not least the venal Premiership, Mrs Thatcher, Brexit , and Corbyn. All of which I am viscerally opposed to.
Posh will always be my club and I will always want the best for them. We have one of the best owners in British football. He is seeking sporting success yet at the same time he needs to keep the finances right. This is why is business model has been so successful for 12 years. Barry Fry, for all his barrow boy persona , has served us well this century,(if not the last!??). When he retires that will be a loss.
Undoubtedly Darren Ferguson , our rookie manager in 2006 , has given us some of the best of times. He went off the boil, and was rightly sacked in 2009(?), and by the time he left our, relegation was all but inevitable. His dad was off the boil for the first 5 years at Old Trafford. It happens.
When he came back he brought a fizz to the club. We were always punching above our weight in the Championship. We did not get relegated because of Selhurst Park. We were relegated because of the shocking start to the season (was it not 7 straight losses? And then four more losses??) , but by December and through to May we were playing promotion-worthy football with Dwight Gayle and Tomlin unplayable , and leaving major clubs like Wolves and Blackburn thrashed on their own grounds. We were one kick away from not being relegated. One kick. (thats Clough talk)
To have sacked Ferguson then would have been daft. As has been said, we got into the playoffs and lost to Orient (as a matter of interest where are they now???) , and won our Wembley Cup.
Again we did not get the success, and he went again and led Donny to promotion and left because he did not get the financial support he felt he needed.
Evans at least had half a vision, but he could not make it work. His tactical nous was not sound. His character was below what I would wish . His preparedness to blame the “worst ref in Christendom” every week and to single out individual mistakes , rather than accepting his own failings, did him no favours. So after a very poor December and January ( when he took us from a good second to a poor sixth in the league) he had to go.
DMac understands and hopes that promotion can still happen (Ferguson turned things round twice before). Evans blew it last spring but would not accept his failing. (Judge me in December!!)
Fergie is with us to the end of the season. (maybe beyond??) He knows the club. He is available . He is local. He has done it before. He has had 4 promotions. I genuinely do not believe there is a better option either in the man, or the timing of his appointment. If it does not work then DMac can say he had been decisive when he needed to be.
Let’s hope we do not end up one kick away from promotion
Lets have a good bash and feel at the end of the season that we went for it
Floreat Posh

roversred
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Jan 2019, 11:35

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by roversred » 28 Jan 2019, 12:01

Hi Guys,Donny fan here..It's interesting that weve practically just swapped managers in the last 12 months..So I thought I would give a view from the other side regarding Ferguson and his time here..
When he came we were down the wrong end of league 1 and after a good start were we got into the top half it went downhill very quickly and we were relegated.Given the strength of the squad a lot of fans wanted him sacked then but we stuck with him..We invested heavily and tbh most managers would have got us promoted that year with the players we had..Our first year back was more of a consolidation year and again we disappointed by finishing close to the bottom...Fergie then quit,he had been complaining about our lack of investment and the budget levels we were setting didn't match his ambition prior to resigning but his dad was obviously really ill at the time too...
In honesty the fans never really took to him,he had this fascination of playing a midfield diamond that didn't really suit the players we had and the football was pretty terrible to watch at times and he was really stubborn in sticking with it even when it seemed obvious it wasn't working.He was one of those managers that when you listened to him on the radio,everything he said made sense and he obviously is very tactically astute,the problem is football is played on grass and the team couldn't replicate what he spoke..
Now we have GM who you sacked as our manager,at first I questioned the appointment but he has been a breath of fresh air for us..Win or lose you enjoy the match because we play good football and the fans love him..He has real passion for what he does and we have got through to the 5th round of the cup and are just behind you in the league..We didn't buy anybody in the summer so apart from the loanee's the squad is practically the same as the one Fergie struggled with...
However Fergie is Posh isn't he and I suspect he will do a lot better with you again than he did for us..In conclusion his biggest pro was that he sorted our system out from the bottom,putting in a really good youth set up,development team and without doubt GM is reaping reward from that,his biggest negative is he is to stubborn sometimes to admit he is wrong with systems and change them quick enough that bloody diamond drove us mad...lol

Poshboyo
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Jan 2019, 13:39

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by Poshboyo » 28 Jan 2019, 15:37

roversred wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 12:01
Hi Guys,Donny fan here..It's interesting that weve practically just swapped managers in the last 12 months..So I thought I would give a view from the other side regarding Ferguson and his time here..
When he came we were down the wrong end of league 1 and after a good start were we got into the top half it went downhill very quickly and we were relegated.Given the strength of the squad a lot of fans wanted him sacked then but we stuck with him..We invested heavily and tbh most managers would have got us promoted that year with the players we had..Our first year back was more of a consolidation year and again we disappointed by finishing close to the bottom...Fergie then quit,he had been complaining about our lack of investment and the budget levels we were setting didn't match his ambition prior to resigning but his dad was obviously really ill at the time too...
In honesty the fans never really took to him,he had this fascination of playing a midfield diamond that didn't really suit the players we had and the football was pretty terrible to watch at times and he was really stubborn in sticking with it even when it seemed obvious it wasn't working.He was one of those managers that when you listened to him on the radio,everything he said made sense and he obviously is very tactically astute,the problem is football is played on grass and the team couldn't replicate what he spoke..
Now we have GM who you sacked as our manager,at first I questioned the appointment but he has been a breath of fresh air for us..Win or lose you enjoy the match because we play good football and the fans love him..He has real passion for what he does and we have got through to the 5th round of the cup and are just behind you in the league..We didn't buy anybody in the summer so apart from the loanee's the squad is practically the same as the one Fergie struggled with...
However Fergie is Posh isn't he and I suspect he will do a lot better with you again than he did for us..In conclusion his biggest pro was that he sorted our system out from the bottom,putting in a really good youth set up,development team and without doubt GM is reaping reward from that,his biggest negative is he is to stubborn sometimes to admit he is wrong with systems and change them quick enough that bloody diamond drove us mad...lol
Grant McCann as a player for us was a legend whether or not we got rid of him too soon remains to be seen but as a manager he was struggling played too much tippy tappy football along the back line teams just sat of us waiting for the inevitable cock up and then took advantage, maybe he's learned from that we'll see, Donny are doing OK so far lets see if it continues into this business end of the season, already seen he's managed to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory lately.
I hope he does well as we have so much to thank him for but lets just see if he's learned from his first shot at management

As for Fergie he got the Posh playing some wonderful football, it all went downhill after that Saturday at Selhurst Park that really shot him to pieces he should have been allowed to go then, we weren't helped by them cheating north Yorkshire clubs that Saturday, even one of own cheated us that day, OK water under the bridge but it stunk
I'm fairly optimistic now he's had a break away from football he'll do well for us, time will tell.
What I know is Evans and Raynor were very devise for our club and I'm now looking forward to the connection of the club and supporters getting back on track, whether or not he keeps in play offs remains to be seen whatever happens I just want to enjoy supporting my team again

roversred
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Jan 2019, 11:35

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by roversred » 28 Jan 2019, 16:35

It's strange isn't it how the same managers can be seen differently at different clubs..Ask any Donny fan about the type of football we watched under DF and not one would describe it as wonderful,it was slow turgid with no pace in it whatsoever..You were bored stiff watching it even if we won..He did really well in spells for you and I agree I've seen Posh play great football under Fergy we just never really saw it even in our league 2 promotion season and nobody was that bothered when he quit.
Yet on the other hand it was interesting to hear your views on how you played under GM..For us it's the polar opposite,we play with so much more pace and we certainly don't overplay across the back 4..Infact if anything the reason we've thrown away last minute goals recently is that we've been too positive going forward instead of using a bit of game management..
I can certainly agree on Evans though,we have a lot of bad history with him from our conference days and I wouldn't want him managing us ever,so you are well shot of him..

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17471
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by ashman » 28 Jan 2019, 18:47

Players live and learn their job as time goes on. Likewise, Grant McCann, as a manager, has certainly done that and maybe we were a bit too eager to get rid of him during his early years as a manager.
Darren Ferguson was a complete novice when we first took him on and he did very well for us during two really memorable spells. As Poshboyo said, Darren should have been persuaded by Dmac to have taken a rest after the trauma of Crystal Palace but I think that he himself was also at an all time low too and didn't have the bottle to make Darren go away and consolidate.
Both Grant McCann and Darren Ferguson will have learnt an awful lot from their fledgling forays into football management and I would be delighted if both Donny Rovers and Posh will be playing each other with their respective managers in the Championship in the not too distant future.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gazza8
Posts: 33
Joined: 18 Aug 2016, 10:48

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by Gazza8 » 30 Jan 2019, 12:53

Hi guys,
Happy New Year from France. Long time I hadn't writen here.
I'm surprised to see that Evans has been sacked. He was on the play off places, the first aim I think. I think he paid the bad curse at home with lot of draws and defeats. Very damaged because when I listen talk he seems me very interessant and know what to do and how to do. Team was accrossing a hard period but I think at a new bounce for the end of season. Unfortunatelly, Mc Anthony sacks off him.
Ferguson his back for the end of season... There is no many points yet between us and top 2. There is hope yet.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17471
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by ashman » 30 Jan 2019, 16:09

Gazza8 wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 12:53
Hi guys,
Happy New Year from France. Long time I hadn't writen here.
I'm surprised to see that Evans has been sacked. He was on the play off places, the first aim I think. I think he paid the bad curse at home with lot of draws and defeats. Very damaged because when I listen talk he seems me very interessant and know what to do and how to do. Team was accrossing a hard period but I think at a new bounce for the end of season. Unfortunatelly, Mc Anthony sacks off him.
Ferguson his back for the end of season... There is no many points yet between us and top 2. There is hope yet.
Hi to you in France. If you had been in this country and watched all the games that a lot of us have, you would have realised that it was well past Steve Evans' time to move on.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gazza8
Posts: 33
Joined: 18 Aug 2016, 10:48

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by Gazza8 » 01 Feb 2019, 13:25

Basically. I haven't this chance unfortunatelly. I try ever to watch Lille's match that is currently second in le league very far back PSG

Steamy Nin
Posts: 105
Joined: 25 Mar 2017, 17:11

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by Steamy Nin » 01 Feb 2019, 17:28

Gazza8 wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 13:25
Basically. I haven't this chance unfortunatelly. I try ever to watch Lille's match that is currently second in le league very far back PSG
Hi Gazza8, I think it's great that we have a French Person following the Posh, from France. Maybe one day you will get to see the boys play live. Keep on following. :comeon:

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17471
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by ashman » 01 Feb 2019, 18:25

Steamy Nin wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 17:28
Gazza8 wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 13:25
Basically. I haven't this chance unfortunatelly. I try ever to watch Lille's match that is currently second in le league very far back PSG
Hi Gazza8, I think it's great that we have a French Person following the Posh, from France. Maybe one day you will get to see the boys play live. Keep on following. :comeon:
Totally agree. Come over and watch the Posh play in real life. Steamy Nin will put you up for the night! :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gazza8
Posts: 33
Joined: 18 Aug 2016, 10:48

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by Gazza8 » 20 Feb 2019, 13:06

Thanks for the support :)
Maybe one day if I can. For moment, I have other things to do before to come to Peterborough to watch poshies.

Something is very troubling in this team year after year : big start and from the second part of the league, there are more and more difficulties. I think team has really skills to get promotion in Championship. Nothing is dead but needs to start a new run of winning matches. The run at home is very poor, the true problem is there I think.

Post Reply