Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stuie

Re: Breaking news, Fergie is back

Post by stuie » 27 Jan 2019, 13:13

ashman wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 11:14
Chenza wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 10:51
Why are people raving that we have fergie back ? Let's not forget what happened last time he was here yes he had some great seasons here but that's gone he don't save the same quality players we had back then CMS BOYDIE MCCLEAN .... 3rd time back at the club just think it's a backward move and this was on the cards for some time by the quick appointment.
We needed a manager with new ideas and a fresh approach.
People are raving, not so much about Fergie's return, but that we have got rid of one of the most obnoxious couples in football. Whether it is either a backward or forward step it is a superb step up from what we were being served on the pitch and in the media. The disrepute that SE and PR were bringing to our club on a weekly basis was a total embarrassment and chatting to fans from other teams on our many away trips it was obvious that they making our club a total laughing stock and becoming a hated club due to their antics on the touchline and in the media.
I reckon the players will be absolutely delighted that the duo have left, as they know that they will not now be called out in public but dealt with professionally when they inevitably make mistakes. (This was one of the traits that SE had in his media talks that I personally thought was dredging the bottom of the sewer - that and a continual tirade against Grant McCann)
He claimed that he was a Posh supporter from years back. I wonder how many times he will rock up after yesterday and what sort of a reception he will receive?
Finally, give some thought to the many players that SE has shunted out of the club when he was on his recruitment tirade. They deserved more.
agreed
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Poshboyo

Post by Poshboyo » 27 Jan 2019, 13:44

A good appointment, he gave us some great years, the problem was that defeat at Selhurst Park knocked him sideways he should have been allowed to leave after that game
Lets roll with it see how it goes, it's got to be better than what we've seen from Evans and Raynor

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 27 Jan 2019, 14:09

This is great news, the best manager we have ever had, well done DMac on two excellent decisions.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 27 Jan 2019, 14:13

Steamy Nin wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 14:09
This is great news, the best manager we have ever had, well done DMac on two excellent decisions.
Perhaps you should add ‘in your memory’ many of us antiques would disagree
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 27 Jan 2019, 14:15

Steamy Nin wrote:
Chris Turner 1, Noel Cantwell 2, Jimmy Hagan 3, Darren Ferguson 4. IMO. :)
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 27 Jan 2019, 14:17

Brianposh wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 14:15
Steamy Nin wrote:
In most people’s opinion of a certain age

Chenza

Post by Chenza » 27 Jan 2019, 14:21

ashman wrote:
Chenza wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 10:51
Why are people raving that we have fergie back ? Let's not forget what happened last time he was here yes he had some great seasons here but that's gone he don't save the same quality players we had back then CMS BOYDIE MCCLEAN .... 3rd time back at the club just think it's a backward move and this was on the cards for some time by the quick appointment.
We needed a manager with new ideas and a fresh approach.
People are raving, not so much about Fergie's return, but that we have got rid of one of the most obnoxious couples in football. Whether it is either a backward or forward step it is a superb step up from what we were being served on the pitch and in the media. The disrepute that SE and PR were bringing to our club on a weekly basis was a total embarrassment and chatting to fans from other teams on our many away trips it was obvious that they making our club a total laughing stock and becoming a hated club due to their antics on the touchline and in the media.
I reckon the players will be absolutely delighted that the duo have left, as they know that they will not now be called out in public but dealt with professionally when they inevitably make mistakes. (This was one of the traits that SE had in his media talks that I personally thought was dredging the bottom of the sewer - that and a continual tirade against Grant McCann)
He claimed that he was a Posh supporter from years back. I wonder how many times he will rock up after yesterday and what sort of a reception he will receive?
Finally, give some thought to the many players that SE has shunted out of the club when he was on his recruitment tirade. They deserved more.
Agree that Evans should have gone but as for the appointment of Fergie for the 3rd time just find it's a quick fix and nothing for a foundation to build on . There are decent managers out there they maybe or not right for posh think its a panic move and not a forward move for PUFC hope Fergie proves me wrong watch this space
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 27 Jan 2019, 14:33

bristleposh wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 14:17
Brianposh wrote:
Steamy Nin wrote:
Chris Turner is a club legend, Noel Cantwell had one fantastic season in div 4 and I don't remember Jimmy Hagan, but two promotions and a magical playoff win by Fergie tops anything anyone else has done, IMO. Even when he was supposedly "finished" after that awful day at Palace, he still got us to the playoffs the following season and won the Johnson's Paint trophy. I am excited.
:comeon:

stuie

Post by stuie » 27 Jan 2019, 14:40

Steamy Nin wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 14:33
bristleposh wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 14:17
Brianposh wrote:

Chris Turner is a club legend, Noel Cantwell had one fantastic season in div 4 and I don't remember Jimmy Hagan, but two promotions and a magical playoff win by Fergie tops anything anyone else has done, IMO. Even when he was supposedly "finished" after that awful day at Palace, he still got us to the playoffs the following season and won the Johnson's Paint trophy. I am excited.
:comeon:
:stupid: :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Post by poshnipper » 27 Jan 2019, 18:38

ashman wrote:
People are raving, not so much about Fergie's return, but that we have got rid of one of the most obnoxious couples in football
I’m raving about it all
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
“ashman” wrote: I wonder how many times he will rock up after yesterday and what sort of a reception he will receive?
I’d ignore him ...... same as I have all season.
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

White G

Post by White G » 27 Jan 2019, 19:28

Poor decision! We're play-off contenders so why choose a man who's got us relegated twice, walked out on us before failing at Preston, failed in every other job he's had, was hopeless in his last stint & is tactically out his depth when facing good managers? I guess he's cheap & not wanted elsewhere though!

Evans was surely a long-term project and while things could be better, he's not doing that badly. All the stick he gets for his demeanor but Fergie is no saint, just ask his ex-wife! Evans is a winner and I'm sure he would've turned the corner with us & got us back to the Championship given time!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 27 Jan 2019, 19:38

White G wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 19:28
Poor decision! We're play-off contenders so why choose a man who's got us relegated twice, walked out on us before failing at Preston, failed in every other job he's had, was hopeless in his last stint & is tactically out his depth when facing good managers? I guess he's cheap & not wanted elsewhere though!

Evans was surely a long-term project and while things could be better, he's not doing that badly. All the stick he gets for his demeanor but Fergie is no saint, just ask his ex-wife! Evans is a winner and I'm sure he would've turned the corner with us & got us back to the Championship given time!
Counting not your strong point then

Thomas-F

Post by Thomas-F » 28 Jan 2019, 00:39

White G wrote:
What they do when they are at home is not something i judge them on, i judge them by their actions on the touchline when they are representing our club, people are not saying Fergie is a saint, they are just happy to have anyone in charge who doesn't make it look like we have had a name change to Thugborough United. There are probably a lot of managers out there who have had problems at home, just the press don't hear about it as they don't have a famous father.

If Steve got us back to the Championship i'd imagine him spending a big transfer kitty.

White G

Post by White G » 28 Jan 2019, 00:57

bristleposh wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 19:38
White G wrote:

Counting not your strong point then
Didn't we get relegated the season he walked out on us? I'm sure he left us more than halfway through the season with us languishing towards the bottom. Also the season we went down at Selhurst Park. This means he is responsible for 2 relegations, right?

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 28 Jan 2019, 08:15

No. Whitey. Fergie was sacked two months into the championship season. Mark Coopers run of one win in thirteen games was a big reason we went down that year. Move along, nothing to see here.