Accrington Stanley v Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Accrington Stanley v Posh

Post by ashman » 30 Dec 2018, 10:33

We had a fantastic day out and it was really good to bury the demons of the Boxing Day debacle at Barnsley.
A solid trip up, with little or no traffic problems and a good couple of hours in The Crown Inn, just a few yards from the ground. The Wham Stadium is still called 'The Crown Ground' by some locals!
Although we had booked tickets in the covered stand just in case we ended up getting soaked like we did at Gillingham, the weather was dry but a touch blustery. We were allowed to stand on the uncovered area which suited many of us.
Joe Ward missed an absolute sitter after just a few minutes and at that time the game was fairly open. O'Malley was twice asked to dive to his left to divert goalbound efforts. Ivan The Great then took up the cudgel and headed home a superb Maddison free kick cross for his first of the afternoon.
Dembele was playing almost as an out and out striker and his pace and trickery was causing Stanley loads of problems. Louis Reed was playing in a much deeper role today and it was one of his hoofed forward clearances that fooled the defender and keeper Ripley, allowing Toney to calmly roll the ball into an unguarded net to make it 2-0. Toney could have had a hatrick by halftime but for a stunning save from Ripley who pushed the ball onto the woodwork. Half time and Posh were firmly in the driving seat!
Second half and Accrington came out with renewed vigour but O'Malley pulled off another vital save, once again diving to his left. The young man has now firmly cemented his place in the side IMO.
It was 3-0 going into the last 20 minutes with Maddison once again instrumental, hitting the crossbar with a free kick and Bennett was there to convert the rebound. Godden replaced a much improved Dembele and Maddison made way for O'Hara.
A big well done must go to Alex Woodyard who played further forward than of late and had one of his most effective games for Posh so far.
The fourth goal, and Toney's hat trick was from a Reed freekick and a wonderful piece of skill from Godden,Toney initially winning the ball and Godden controlling the ball and using a cheeky little back heel to set up Toney to wait for the defender to make the mistake of trying to head back to his keeper before heading in his simplest goal of the afternoon, but probably the best worked one too!
Four goals for Toney, another two assists for Marcus and all looking good ATM.
Two hat tricks in the last month and a total of 16 goals so far in 24 games is a worthy statistic for Ivan Toney, but he is a lot more than just being a forward who can score goals. He can defend superbly and any set pieces around our box is often headed away by the big man. He may have cost the club a lot of money but he is rapidly paying us back. The only downside is that he was born in Northampton!!!
A relatively quick journey home and well done to the 441 Posh fans for making the journey into the wilds of Lancashire!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 30 Dec 2018, 11:17

It sounds like a fantastic performance all round and from the lad from N.......... in particular.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 30 Dec 2018, 13:08

a good assessment of the game that I saw

I would however put more emphasis on how for the first 20 minutes of the second half were being outplayed , and we were playing 10 yards too far back

it reminded me of how we succumbed to Dack at Ewood in the second half back in April

Maddisons dead ball technique and Tafazollis dominance were particularly pleasing

ashman

Post by ashman » 30 Dec 2018, 18:51

trevormans wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 13:08

I would however put more emphasis on how for the first 20 minutes of the second half were being outplayed , and we were playing 10 yards too far back

it reminded me of how we succumbed to Dack at Ewood in the second half back in April

Maddisons dead ball technique and Tafazollis dominance were particularly pleasing
Maddison was back to his 'almost' best and, I agree, Taff was dominant and the whole defence played much better without the Colin Daniel clown!
I did say "Second half and Accrington came out with renewed vigour but O'Malley pulled off another vital save, once again diving to his left. The young man has now firmly cemented his place in the side IMO."

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 30 Dec 2018, 19:07

I know in your eyes Maddison can do no wrong, but that inspired performance was a group effort with Toney being the cherry on the top. The difference came from playing Reed in the quarterback role once the domain of Grant McCann, as strange as it seemed to see Woodyard playing as far forward as he did, but breaking down the attacks further up the field kept the tempo higher and Ward of the three attackers behind Toney was the outstanding one. Two excellent free kicks from your hero were about the sum total of his contribution, whilst better decision making from Woodyard, and Dembele and a glaring miss by Ward would in my opinion have given the former Woking man a hat trick of his own
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

PoshDrummerAdam
Lean Mean Drumming Machine

Post by PoshDrummerAdam » 30 Dec 2018, 19:49

Hope the head didn't hurt too much this morning Ashman!

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 30 Dec 2018, 20:01

ashman wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 18:51
trevormans wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 13:08

Maddison was back to his 'almost' best and, I agree, Taff was dominant and the whole defence played much better without the Colin Daniel clown!
I did say "Second half and Accrington came out with renewed vigour but O'Malley pulled off another vital save, once again diving to his left. The young man has now firmly cemented his place in the side IMO."
Regarding O'Malley and Daniel I have to agree (though I only saw O'Malley against Luton and of course he dropped a howler).

Despite his goal yesterday I'm still not convinced by Bennett. He does have a mistake in him and once he's turned, he's out of the game. Much prefer a back four of Denton, Naismith, Taffazolli, Ward myself.

stuie

Post by stuie » 30 Dec 2018, 20:46

Brianposh wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 22:54
A much better performance right across the Board. Not World beaters, but definitely a big improvement. I enjoyed today.
:stupid: :clap: :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 30 Dec 2018, 23:57

O'Malley, Taff, Woodyard and Ivan formed a great spine, I also thought that Ward and Denton had good games, but I also thought that Accrington were awful.

ashman

Post by ashman » 31 Dec 2018, 01:16

bristleposh wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 19:07
I know in your eyes Maddison can do no wrong, .......
I know in your eyes Maddison can do nothing right ...... oh here we go again! :twisted:
Why criticise Maddison again when all I said he was back to his nearly best? (creating two assists)
I also gave great credit to Louis Reed, Woodyard, Dembele, O'Malley, Toney, Godden, in fact to all the people you mentioned, but you decide to deride our most effective playmaker again. It's getting boring bristle. :(
Come back Grant McCann and Mark Little so you can have a hatrick of players to complain about! :roll:

ashman

Post by ashman » 31 Dec 2018, 01:54

Steamy Nin wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 23:57
O'Malley, Taff, Woodyard and Ivan formed a great spine, I also thought that Ward and Denton had good games, but I also thought that Accrington were awful.
I reckon that is a touch harsh on Accrington. Watch back the extended highlights. They had quite a few decent chances. It's just that we defended very well as a unit (keeper and defence) and we also rode our luck a couple of times too!

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 31 Dec 2018, 11:15

ashman wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 01:54
Steamy Nin wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 23:57
I reckon that is a touch harsh on Accrington. Watch back the extended highlights. They had quite a few decent chances. It's just that we defended very well as a unit (keeper and defence) and we also rode our luck a couple of times too!
Agreed Accrington had their moments but the scene for the game was set in the first few minutes and they looked terrified of Ivan the great. It's very rare that I feel as comfortable as I did, but maybe I should be giving credit to the big man.