O'Malley vs Chapman

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

DaveLister
Second Technician

O'Malley vs Chapman

Post by DaveLister » 22 Dec 2018, 20:58

Perhaps it's me, but O'Malley seems to be the more positive of the two. Claims balls that Chapman wouldn't leave his line for. And it has to said, we'd have been battered today without him.

bristleposh

Re: O'Malley vs Chapman

Post by bristleposh » 22 Dec 2018, 21:25

One of our many disappointing purchases this season, reading the party line at the start of the season I thought we'd signed the best keeper outside the premier league. How wrong was I. He catches the ball when it's shot at him if he doesn't have to dive,,but for a big guy he certainly doesn't dominate his area like he should. A couple of misunderstandings today but overall O'Malley is a far better keeper.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 23 Dec 2018, 12:11

The problem with Chapman is, as bristle has said, his inability to use his physique properly.
O'Connor has been brought in (rightly so) and for a youngster has appeared a touch nervous at times. This will improve as he gets a few more outings under his belt.
His situation has not been helped by our defence playing in front of Chapman for half a season. Most normal defences would expect their custodian to come and claim crosses in and around the six yard box, and often even further out than that. Unfortunately they have had to endure a very static keeper and consequently have been forced to challenge for every ball, when in fact the keeper should have come for a high percentage of them. This has become the norm and it would be very difficult for them to change their way of playing after in order to accomodate a new keeper.
O'Malley is a much more reactive keeper than Chapman and has naturally come out to claim balls leaving the defence in a dilemma. They have become used to dealing with aerial threats because they know that Chapman would still be sitting on his line but O'Malley is willing to cover for them. Several times O'Malley has been impeded by his own defenders, thinking that it is their sole responsibility to deal with the situation. (witness the awful cockup for Bradford's first goal in the FA Cup replay where O'Malley sensibly came to claim, only to be clattered by his own defenders, and losing the ball)
The simple answer is is to get the defence and O'Malley on the training field PDQ and sort it out. O'Malley needs to learn how to holler like his manager and the defence need to show confidence that he will deal with these situations.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 23 Dec 2018, 12:15

There’s a reason he’s 28 and only played one season in the football league. Another mentally strong Evans signing.

How many of Evans picks have actually done well this season? By an Evans pick I mean players that wouldn’t normally have been on the club radar, people such as Godden, Dembele, Toney & Woodyard are players who fit the Posh model under DMac. Whereas Daniel, Bennett, Chapman, Lyon, Naismith, Cooke, Walker etc wouldn’t.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 24 Dec 2018, 01:24

HantsPosh wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 12:15
There’s a reason he’s 28 and only played one season in the football league. Another mentally strong Evans signing.

How many of Evans picks have actually done well this season? By an Evans pick I mean players that wouldn’t normally have been on the club radar, people such as Godden, Dembele, Toney & Woodyard are players who fit the Posh model under DMac. Whereas Daniel, Bennett, Chapman, Lyon, Naismith, Cooke, Walker etc wouldn’t.
O'Malley is 24 and was signed by McCann.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Dec 2018, 09:36

I thought he was referring to the giant from Accrington
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 24 Dec 2018, 09:58

Bristle is correct, I was referring to Chapman

ashman

Post by ashman » 24 Dec 2018, 12:41