Burton v Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Burton v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Oct 2018, 13:32

Is the away form going to continue, are we going to go with this new fangled football stuff we played at home where we actually passed the ball to one another rather than hoofed and hoped. Hopefully, my 100% start to the season will continue.

Burton have quite a good record at home so far this season, so it certainly won't be easy.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Re: Burton v Posh

Post by ashman » 25 Oct 2018, 16:38

Burton Albion v Peterborough United (15:00 )

REFEREE: GRAHAM SALISBURY

ASSISTANT REFEREES: David Benton and Christopher Husband

Fourth Official: Joe Clark
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gazza8

Post by Gazza8 » 26 Oct 2018, 08:53

Currently, team is better away than home. Team need to breath because I felt it less in form than at the start of season. It's very hard to stay up in the league table but I think Evans has players to make a great season and go up in xhampionship league next season.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 27 Oct 2018, 07:22

Bad news, I've got to throw a sicky. I've been coughing, and snuffling for the past two days. I think it's safer staying in doors rather than walking miles and standing in the cold for 2 hours. I'll miss the drinking bit though.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 27 Oct 2018, 07:48

bristleposh wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 07:22
Bad news, I've got to throw a sicky. I've been coughing, and snuffling for the past two days. I think it's safer staying in doors rather than walking miles and standing in the cold for 2 hours. I'll miss the drinking bit though.
Bloody hell , I've just this minute put my prediction up, I'll have to reduce it a tad. Get well soon Bristles. :P
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Post by poshnipper » 27 Oct 2018, 10:59

bristleposh wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 07:22
Man flu?
You should’ve still come. Nowt like a blast of freezing cold to blow the bugs away.
The 3 points we’re bringing home will hopefully make you feel better xxx
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 27 Oct 2018, 15:38

1-0 Posh, that'll make Bristle feel better :clap:

Narrowboat Dave

Post by Narrowboat Dave » 27 Oct 2018, 16:54

Good win 2-1. Joe Ward & Sirike Dembele on the scoresheet.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 27 Oct 2018, 20:13

I went back to bed after my post, woke up at about the time I should have been at Cheltenham en route. Watching it on iFollow it was frightening the last thirty five minutes or so I was on the edge of my seat. We soaked up all they had to offer, but only just a couple of fabulous saves by the much maligned Chapman, watching it on the TV I'd say Denton,Taff, Ward and Woody were our star performers, but all the others were superb too. I'm pleased I didn't go though as I still feel under the weather.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 28 Oct 2018, 13:32

Still no postings from those who attended the match. Was it as one sided as the stats - Burton had 15 shots on goal against Posh's only 5 (8 and 2 on target respectively) might suggest?

LB1Lane

Post by LB1Lane » 28 Oct 2018, 14:03

More to the point Posh are three points better off. That's what they went for, that's what they got.

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Oct 2018, 14:18

Poshay wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 13:32
Still no postings from those who attended the match. Was it as one sided as the stats - Burton had 15 shots on goal against Posh's only 5 (8 and 2 on target respectively) might suggest?
Here we go then!
Excellent journey to The Pirelli Stadium and a steady, gentle saunter down to The Beech Hotel, five minutes away, where we were joined by many other fellow Poshies. Excellent beer, friendly atmosphere and a van outside selling probably the best burgers we have had the pleasure of consuming this season.
By the time we left the pub it had warmed up a touch. (not a lot)
The atmosphere inside the stadium was very good and it seemed as though we took up nearly every space in the end behind the goal and most of the seats to the left of us too - a superb turnout of Poshies! The support was excellent right through the game and it was good to hear a few 'newer' chants from the fans. We could have been two or three to the good by half time but nobody I talked to was worrying too much about the opposition. Joe Ward's strike (took a slight deflection but I reckon was bound for the top corner anyway) was what had separated us at the break.
About ten+ minutes into the second half Ward was at it again. He read an opponents pass superbly and sent Dembele on his way, almost unchallenged, towards goal where he drew the keeper pushed it to the left of him and slotted into the goal with ease. By this time we were all expecting a bit of a landslide but it all changed just a couple of minutes later when Burton got on the scoresheet and our game from then on went down rapidly.
For 60-65 minutes we had been superb and then in the last 25 we completely went into our shell, stood right off them and hoped and prayed that Burton would not score another or even more. It was a tough ask to watch and probably even harder to play in.
I cannot understand how, when an attack is launched towards us we get ten men behind the ball leaving no outlet at all for when we break up the said attack. Not only that but when we did eventually get possession why, for some reason, we deemed it constructive to boot the ball sixty yards upfield to no one at all to merely see it return again time and again. If it hadn't been for Chapman and a few brave blocks we could now be sitting in fourth place with 30 points instead of second and on 33.
At one point, about five minutes from the final whistle, the Burton number 2 collected the ball from one of our many poor clearances and advanced at least 60-70 yards towards our goal with attackers, midfielders or defenders nowhere nearby not even bothering to try and stop his advance. Luckily nothing came of this and we somehow weathered out the storm.
A good day out but the finger nails need some serious TLC!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 28 Oct 2018, 15:29

A great report Ash. Re your last point I have wondered in the past why Posh don't leave somebody, Dembele for example, upfield. He would need at least one man if not two to mark him as well as providing a relieving outlet.

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Post by poshnipper » 28 Oct 2018, 18:56

Blimmin’ brilliant day out.
Great pub and, like Ash said, very tasty burgers were served.
Loved the atmosphere in the ground and the new chants. I’ve nearly learned all the words to “we’re on our waaaaaaay .....” Has taken me a while :lol:
Good to see Stuie and so many POSH mates. :clap:
The last 20 minutes or so were excruciatingly hard to watch. We sat sooooo deep. All 11 of us. Raynor was imploring them with sweeping arm motions to get out and get up the pitch, to no avail. Boy, we rode our luck :D
Dembele took his goal so well after receiving a brilliant pass from the a.m.a.z.i.n.g Joe Ward who’d already put us on the lead. Round the keeper he went and slotted it home. Magic! Denton was class, as was Taff, as was Woody. And Chapman. Reed as well. Bennett was poorly before kick off but (unlike Brizzle) still put in a performance. And my Jason, he’s my fave and can do no wrong :oops: :cry: Godden was unlucky. Toney was there making life difficult for Burton. It was brilliant.
Talking of Magic, he wasn’t needed but he still came on the pitch at the end .... no more solo stuff from him.
Roll on Wycombe.
Just about my favourite away day. :comeon: :comeon:
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 28 Oct 2018, 18:59

poshnipper wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 18:56
Blimmin’ brilliant day out.
Great pub and, like Ash said, very tasty burgers were served.
Loved the atmosphere in the ground and the new chants. I’ve nearly learned all the words to “we’re on our waaaaaaay .....” Has taken me a while :lol:
Good to see Stuie and so many POSH mates. :clap:
The last 20 minutes or so were excruciatingly hard to watch. We sat sooooo deep. All 11 of us. Raynor was imploring them with sweeping arm motions to get out and get up the pitch, to no avail. Boy, we rode our luck :D
Dembele took his goal so well after receiving a brilliant pass from the a.m.a.z.i.n.g Joe Ward. Round the keeper he went and slotted it home. Magic! Denton was class, as was Taff, as was Woody. And Chapman. Reed as well. Bennett was poorly before kick off but (unlike Brizzle) still put in a performance. And my Jason, he’s my fave and can do no wrong :oops: :cry: Godden was unlucky. Toney was there making life difficult for Burton. It was brilliant.
Talking of Magic, he wasn’t needed but he still came on the pitch at the end .... no more solo stuff from him.
Roll on Wycombe.
Just about my favourite away day. :comeon: :comeon:
OI you I had man flu, that's worse than giving birth.