Style of play.

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

pleasureboy60

Style of play.

Post by pleasureboy60 » 16 Sep 2018, 16:53

I was slightly bemused on Saturday with our tactics against a team who were clearly strong at the back with tall,experienced defenders and who handled everything we threw at them without breaking into a sweat.
Why oh why did we persist with humping long balls down the middle when clearly a more effective option would have been to use our wingers to get in behind their back four.
I really don't see the point of playing two wide men with pace when they are not used to their full potential.If we are going to play wingers then use them as wingers not full backs.
I like Joe Ward, but hes playing more like an additional right back and hardly ever crosses the half way line.
Im also concerned that teams are now stifling us in midfield because effectively we only have two central midfielders.
Opposing teams play with 4 sometimes 5 in midfield and we are getting constantly over run and cannot create chances for our forwards.
Subsequently we just hoof the ball long in the hope that one of our nippy forwards can latch on to a lucky break.
For me, i think we would be more balanced with three central midfield players, ditch the wingers and give Dembele a free role behind the two strikers.
This would also enable O'Hara to get forward more to support the front two.
Just a thought!
Last edited by pleasureboy60 on 16 Sep 2018, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

Wycliffe

Re: Style of play.

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Sep 2018, 17:35

Yep. Agree with all of that.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 17 Sep 2018, 11:06

it would be nice to see the ball played on the ground, good ideas

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Sep 2018, 16:14

Maximus wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 11:06
it would be nice to see the ball played on the ground, good ideas
It certainly would. We would have to send an e-mail to all the players beforehand in order to get them to realise there had been a change of tictacs! :lol:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 23 Sep 2018, 15:46

I am not convinced we have an actual 'style of play'.

Yes we are strong and powerful but we are not brilliant at defending so sitting back, inviting the opposition on and playing on the break can be problematic.

When we go forward, en masse and at pace we look virtually unstoppable but we only seem to do that when struggling ie last ten v Southend and Pompey. Yesterday that reaction was as though we'd been upset by the very temerity of Gillingham to put us behind and when we did play in that way we were quite brilliant.

I am not sure we pre plan a particular way to play pre match but rather seem to react to the circumstances.

What ever it is we do it seems in general to work but there are quite a few scary moments before we succeed most Saturdays :lol:

ashman

Post by ashman » 23 Sep 2018, 17:05

I saw your face go rather white after Gillingham's second goal but you make a good point, that we seem, well in the last two games anyway, to only react when we go behind. Lazy attitude maybe? How this can be countered, I don't know. Maybe make that observation if you manage to get Evans down to Ebz?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 23 Sep 2018, 19:23

ashman wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 17:05
I saw your face go rather white after Gillingham's second goal but you make a good point, that we seem, well in the last two games anyway, to only react when we go behind. Lazy attitude maybe? How this can be countered, I don't know. Maybe make that observation if you manage to get Evans down to Ebz?
Going to follow up the initial invite tomorrow.
It'll be a packed house as ever when he does agree.