One more in?

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Re: One more in?

Post by JohnC » 31 Aug 2018, 21:42

With regard to Maddison, I think any potential purchaser in the Championship would simply act on the basis of whether or not the player to be signed is likely to improve their team in a particular area. Maddison is relatively young (24), durable (over a hundred appearances in the last two seasons), talented (he has the vision to see an opening and the passing nous to exploit it, as well as having an eye for goal) and pacy. We know about his susceptibility to gravity, but Cristiano Ronaldo and Jurgen Klinsman were both prone to the horizontal (pun intended). Ultimately, talent trumps temperament/character, seemingly. If QPR would sign Washington and Wigan would sign LDSL, then I don't see why Rotherham or Preston or Brentford would turn up their noses at Maddison. Nottingham Forest signed Cummings for half a million. I'm glad Maddison seems likely to stay for a while, by the way: unfortunately, it's easy to envisage Dembele limping to the injury list at some point this season.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 01 Sep 2018, 09:18

JohnC wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 21:42
With regard to Maddison, I think any potential purchaser in the Championship would simply act on the basis of whether or not the player to be signed is likely to improve their team in a particular area. Maddison is relatively young (24), durable (over a hundred appearances in the last two seasons), talented (he has the vision to see an opening and the passing nous to exploit it, as well as having an eye for goal) and pacy. We know about his susceptibility to gravity, but Cristiano Ronaldo and Jurgen Klinsman were both prone to the horizontal (pun intended). Ultimately, talent trumps temperament/character, seemingly. If QPR would sign Washington and Wigan would sign LDSL, then I don't see why Rotherham or Preston or Brentford would turn up their noses at Maddison. Nottingham Forest signed Cummings for half a million. I'm glad Maddison seems likely to stay for a while, by the way: unfortunately, it's easy to envisage Dembele limping to the injury list at some point this season.
All good points. All pretty accurate except for a couple.

Talent doesn't always trump temperament/character. imo that is exactly why he is still here. The game is a small world and talk between players, managers and yes despite certain people pooh poohing of this opinion fans means a lot.

Your 3 examples with the exception possibly of PNE have no real ambition of the PL and back the point I have been saying for 2 years that there is a very small number of clubs who would want him and none of those include clubs looking to get into the promised land, nor indeed clubs who feel they will be fighting relegation at length.

Dembele may well get injured especially with the lack of protection/punishment refs in this division give him, ironically he may need to take a little bit of MMs antics to get push a change of attitude from the officials :lol:

If he stays he will have to be patient, with his talent he may well grasp his chance, he is good enough but as has been said a few other of his traits/weaknesses will have to improve or change.

As for the new signing which theoretically this thread is about he looks a notch above the others who are 'cover'.
As ever time will tell.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 01 Sep 2018, 10:59

Uncle Steve has been chasing him since May so he was clearly someone we've wanted for a while.

Cover for when Dembele tires maybe...